Is Ohio State on the Way Back? | The Boneyard

Is Ohio State on the Way Back?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not impressed with Kevin McGuff as a head coach. IMO Ohio State will have to have overwhelming talent to win a National Championship. The Kelsey Mitchell teams should have made it to one or more F4's, if you're looking at the talent some of these teams had. You can bet if Geno, Tara or Muffet coached those teams they would have made a F4.

an improved team yes but ultimately no matter how good the talent is, they'll only go as far as their coaching will take them

Reaction Score
Not impressed with Kevin McGuff as a head coach. IMO Ohio State will have to have overwhelming talent to win a National Championship. The Kelsey Mitchell teams should have made it to one or more F4's, if you're looking at the talent some of these teams had. You can bet if Geno, Tara or Muffet coached those teams they would have made a F4.
The Mitchell/Muvunga team should have been in the Final 4. But tOSU should be good enough to be second to Maryland. I really love Dorka Juhasz game. Jordan Horston is a huge favorite to win Big 10 freshman of the year.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This will cause some excitement for the fans in Columbus but with such a big class, I fear the same issues with recruiting will happen for Ohio State that happened during the Kelsey Mitchell years and in turn put them in the precarious spot last season where they needed 5 grad transfers. Where they couldn't pay high school kids to come play for them or stay past one season.

With the addition of Madison Greene, who is a very calm under pressure type of player, this class now has 5 guards, 6 if you include Braxtin Miller in the group.

The team last year improved throughout the season, just kind of puttered at the end when it mattered most, which seems to be a trend for McGuff's teams at OhSU. I thought his coaching was better last season compared to Mitchell's last two seasons. Seemed engaged during the games and was calling plays. He's still got a ways to go to become a mid-tier coach...maybe he'll hire a out of the park new assistant coach to help with Defense?! I don't know.

Crooms, Juhasz, and Patty made good strides throughout the season. Crooms hit a patch near the end where she was playing a bit out of control, trying to do too much and the team started to lose. She does, however, have a real joy when playing the game, which was nice to see during a tough season. In the past, not sure if McGuff has tended to play one big at a time because of lack of front court depth or if it's just his preference to do four guards, but I think Patty and Juhasz would benefit from having the other on the court, or one of Mikulasikova and Wone out there, to relieve some of the physical load of being the only big. You could see the wear and tear of the college level contact slow Juhasz down during games. Interestingly, while Juhasz was the leading scorer, when she was in the game the guards rarely looked to her but when Patty was in the game there was a lot more inside passes.

I'm interested to see how Bell and McGuff work. She'll be his first big time player since Mitchell. Hopefully it's not more of the same thing. She seems a bit more dynamic overall than Mitchell.

Have to imagine OhSU will be expect to finish runner-up or better every season now...not that that's too hard in the Big Ten. Out of Conference will be another story.

Jordan Horston is a huge favorite to win Big 10 freshman of the year.

I assume you mean Kierstan Bell and aren't just trying to throw salt in the wound of Columbus/OhSU fans. ;) haha

Reaction Score

that's my feeling too but I'm in a charitable mood today................;)

Reaction Score
This will cause some excitement for the fans in Columbus but with such a big class, I fear the same issues with recruiting will happen for Ohio State that happened during the Kelsey Mitchell years and in turn put them in the precarious spot last season where they needed 5 grad transfers. Where they couldn't pay high school kids to come play for them or stay past one season.

With the addition of Madison Greene, who is a very calm under pressure type of player, this class now has 5 guards, 6 if you include Braxtin Miller in the group.

The team last year improved throughout the season, just kind of puttered at the end when it mattered most, which seems to be a trend for McGuff's teams at OhSU. I thought his coaching was better last season compared to Mitchell's last two seasons. Seemed engaged during the games and was calling plays. He's still got a ways to go to become a mid-tier coach...maybe he'll hire a out of the park new assistant coach to help with Defense?! I don't know.

Crooms, Juhasz, and Patty made good strides throughout the season. Crooms hit a patch near the end where she was playing a bit out of control, trying to do too much and the team started to lose. She does, however, have a real joy when playing the game, which was nice to see during a tough season. In the past, not sure if McGuff has tended to play one big at a time because of lack of front court depth or if it's just his preference to do four guards, but I think Patty and Juhasz would benefit from having the other on the court, or one of Mikulasikova and Wone out there, to relieve some of the physical load of being the only big. You could see the wear and tear of the college level contact slow Juhasz down during games. Interestingly, while Juhasz was the leading scorer, when she was in the game the guards rarely looked to her but when Patty was in the game there was a lot more inside passes.

I'm interested to see how Bell and McGuff work. She'll be his first big time player since Mitchell. Hopefully it's not more of the same thing. She seems a bit more dynamic overall than Mitchell.

Have to imagine OhSU will be expect to finish runner-up or better every season now...not that that's too hard in the Big Ten. Out of Conference will be another story.

I assume you mean Kierstan Bell and aren't just trying to throw salt in the wound of Columbus/OhSU fans. ;) haha
My mistake. It was Bell.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Umm, not buying that Kelsey Mitchell, who never made anyone on her team better, had enough talent to be a multiple top 4 team. For a refresher, let's review the teams that made the Final Four during her four years starting in 2015: SC, MD, ND and UConn -no tOSU team was beating any of them. 2016: Washington, Syracuse, OSU and UConn-OSU made, just not Ohio State. Maybe this squad could have beaten a talented but underachieving #7 Tennessee team to meet Syracuse in the regional final but TN beat them. 2017: Stanford, SC, MSU and UConn-tOSU was not beating any of these teams. 2018: ND, UConn, MSU and Louisville-again, no way they beat any of these. Their best chance for ONE final four was her sophomore year.

McGuff showed some coaching chops this year given he had NO ONE. Karen Aston is now the Queen of underachieving coaches with Holly's forced retirement.

Reaction Score
One reason: Ohio breeds a lot of good talent - and 2019 was exceptionally talented. Unfortunately for McGuff, he missed out on Puisis, Cooke, and Horston, but he did add Bell, Shelden, and Greene, all Ohio Natives ranked in the top 60. He has also added to Ohioans in 2020.

Maybe too early to speculate, but anytime you have a 7-player class, transfers seem inevitable. That is a part of a rebuild though, as long as you keep the ones who are getting the big minutes. Will be interesting to see how the minutes at the guard positions plays out with Bell, Crooms, Greene, Sheldon, Miller and Harris.

I must say I was impressed with the talent McGuff got to consider Ohio State.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks the OSU recruits are mixing up McGuff with the highly respected Crime Dog. ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Umm, not buying that Kelsey Mitchell, who never made anyone on her team better, had enough talent to be a multiple top 4 team. For a refresher, let's review the teams that made the Final Four during her four years starting in 2015: SC, MD, ND and UConn -no tOSU team was beating any of them. 2016: Washington, Syracuse, OSU and UConn-OSU made, just not Ohio State. Maybe this squad could have beaten a talented but underachieving #7 Tennessee team to meet Syracuse in the regional final but TN beat them. 2017: Stanford, SC, MSU and UConn-tOSU was not beating any of these teams. 2018: ND, UConn, MSU and Louisville-again, no way they beat any of these. Their best chance for ONE final four was her sophomore year.

McGuff showed some coaching chops this year given he had NO ONE. Karen Aston is now the Queen of underachieving coaches with Holly's forced retirement.

For a lineup that had as many McDonald's AAs as Ohio State did, they should've at least contended for a Final Four and had the star power to make multiple Elite 8s. They lost in the second round as freshmen, were blown out in the Sweet 16 as soph/jr and were blown out at home in the 2nd round as seniors. They had really really good players in Mitchell (rip on her all you want but she was a stud), Mavunga, Alston, Tori McCoy, Linnae Harper, Shayla Cooper, Alexa Hart and Sierra Calhoun. Most good coaches would've coached them to better results than being seeded 3rd or 5th and three blowout exits early in the NCAAs.

During that stretch of 4 years, I thought Aston as a whole out coached McGuff. Neither were shining stars and if I had to pick one to coach my team I'd choose McGuff, but McGuff was very mediocre during that stretch. He did better last season and has good recruits coming so we'll see how they pan out.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For a lineup that had as many McDonald's AAs as Ohio State did, they should've at least contended for a Final Four and had the star power to make multiple Elite 8s. They lost in the second round as freshmen, were blown out in the Sweet 16 as soph/jr and were blown out at home in the 2nd round as seniors. They had really really good players in Mitchell (rip on her all you want but she was a stud), Mavunga, Alston, Tori McCoy, Linnae Harper, Shayla Cooper, Alexa Hart and Sierra Calhoun. Most good coaches would've coached them to better results than being seeded 3rd or 5th and three blowout exits early in the NCAAs.

During that stretch of 4 years, I thought Aston as a whole out coached McGuff. Neither were shining stars and if I had to pick one to coach my team I'd choose McGuff, but McGuff was very mediocre during that stretch. He did better last season and has good recruits coming so we'll see how they pan out.
Duly noted but the statement was multiple Final Fours with the teams he had. I am merely pointing out only 1 was a real possibility. As far as Elite 8’s yeah l would agree they should have made a few. And they should have beaten Tenn but then again if that had happen Holly would have been fired 2 years sooner than she was and we would have missed all the fun..:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom