is Notre Dame bad for women's basketball? | The Boneyard

is Notre Dame bad for women's basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOL they are killing everyone just like us and no one is saying the same about them. Duke is just not as good as advertised. but ND is beating people pretty good. They haven't lost. I do think we match up good against ND this year as long as we do not have any other injuries. Our guards match up well with theirs and We have Stewie. But there is no one that is gonna beat ND but us. Its just that simple. I hope we meet in the final and not a regional. The secret is because like us ND runs a real offense and switches very well on Defense. It will be a good game if we meet. ND has Turner coming in next year.

Reaction Score
LOL they are killing everyone just like us and no one is saying the same about them. Duke is just not as good as advertised. but ND is beating people pretty good. They haven't lost. I do think we match up good against ND this year as long as we do not have any other injuries. Our guards match up well with theirs and We have Stewie. But there is no one that is gonna beat ND but us. Its just that simple. I hope we meet in the final and not a regional. The secret is because like us ND runs a real offense and switches very well on Defense. It will be a good game if we meet. ND has Turner coming in next year.

I hope Notre Dame loses before we meet them. Not that I'm scared or anything close to that - and I do like Muffett a lot. But I can't stand the arrogance of "Notre Dame."

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
They aren't bad for women's basketball like we are because they've only won one NC since 2000. How many have we won since then?
:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well ... If no one's gonna beat them but us, how do we meet in a regional?

Reaction Score
This is just what UConn dominance is supposed to do, to encourage other teams to match us.
How cool is this? We are going to have a good game coming up if everything works out right.
Other than winning a NC, a UConn/ND unbeatens NC game will be historic. What a season!:)

Reaction Score
The great thing about that Notre Dame win is, as long as Louisville doesn't stub their toe, and lose to anyone but UConn, the 4 number 1 seeds will be UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, Louisville, and UConn has to go to Lincoln. That solves any further stupidity from the powers that be who approved, home teams being able to play on their home court for regional finals.

Reaction Score
Remember, Duke has 24 AA's on their bench and 20 more next season.....Too bad they play like Seton Hall..............What lesson did Coach P learn tonight?........I will be nice and they need more time coaching.........ND is too good for the ACC........Players are equal........Muffet is the difference........ Like Geno when he plays the ACC......

Reaction Score
Don't forget about Stanford. Thomas almost beat nd in a comeback and Ogwumike is a more dominant player with a deeper team. nd is pretty weak on the front line.

Reaction Score
Don't forget about Stanford. Thomas almost beat nd in a comeback and Ogwumike is a more dominant player with a deeper team. nd is pretty weak on the front line.

I don't think they are. IMO Achonwa is among the best centers in the game.

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Icebear said:
Achonwa is greatly underestimated by many.

Her stats have been variable in some of their big games but I agree she's very good, and also another example of stats not telling the whole story. (Not to the same degree as Kelly Faris on this point, but her value exceeds her impact on the box score in many of the games I've seen.)

Reaction Score

I agree. She doesn't appear to be much --but she scores while being very efficient - she rebounds - not a bad passer for a center at all. She has to be a pretty good defender- she just isn't flashy or a shot blcoker.

Reaction Score
They aren't bad for women's basketball like we are because they've only won one NC since 2000. How many have we won since then?
:rolleyes:
Yeah,people who root for others look at UConn WBB like the old Dallas Cowboys and make a lot of envious enemies !! ND already overall has reached that point(although they haven't played that way recently) just not yet in WBB !?!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The difference for fans is that playing UConn often seems unwinnable. Playing ND not so much.

In all my years going to RU games, I never doubted that RU could beat ND any time. They might not do it, but they could. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't.

There were only a few times where it seemed remotely possible RU could take UConn (and most of those times, we did). But generally, you knew you not only were not going to win when you played UConn, you were going to look bad losing. Which is not at all a pleasant feeling. And is far more the reason that many fans dislike UConn's dominance than the fact they actually have won so many NC's.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The difference for fans is that playing UConn often seems unwinnable. Playing ND not so much.

In all my years going to RU games, I never doubted that RU could beat ND any time. They might not do it, but they could. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't.

There were only a few times where it seemed remotely possible RU could take UConn (and most of those times, we did). But generally, you knew you not only were not going to win when you played UConn, you were going to look bad losing. Which is not at all a pleasant feeling. And is far more the reason that many fans dislike UConn's dominance than the fact they actually have won so many NC's.

Great points. Most of the flack UCONN gets for being bad for women's basketball stems from the fact that they are so dominant and most teams have no shot of staying within 20-30 points of UCONN. When UCONN wins a game, they dominate opponents. In the last 3 seasons (including this one), UCONN has gone 91-9, with 89 wins by 10 or more points. Compare that to Notre Dame who is 91-6 since the start of 2011-12, but has just 76 wins by 10 or more points. When UCONN is facing an inferior opponent, the opponent doesn't stand a chance of making a game competitive. When Notre Dame/most other programs face an inferior opponent, most of the time Notre Dame will coast to victory but the opponent is more likely to keep it competitive and have a glimmer of hope compared to UCONN opponents.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Much of Geno's came out with the original report but they are very much worth reading and reading again. An excellent piece.

Reaction Score
I don't think they are. IMO Achonwa is among the best centers in the game.
I think Chiney is way overrated. I've said that she has tremendous energy and hops but her skill level is quite a ways down on the charts. Her shooting percentage is never very good, at least when I've seen or read about her and she gets massive amounts of foul shots, a lot of them that probably could just as easily have been called charges. Insofar as shooting percentages, of the baskets that she does make, a really percentage of them are layups on put backs of her own misses. Just junk baskets. Again, I give her credit for her extraordinary athleticism but skill set wise, not so much.

Reaction Score
I think Chiney is way overrated. I've said that she has tremendous energy and hops but her skill level is quite a ways down on the charts. Her shooting percentage is never very good, at least when I've seen or read about her and she gets massive amounts of foul shots, a lot of them that probably could just as easily have been called charges. Insofar as shooting percentages, of the baskets that she does make, a really percentage of them are layups on put backs of her own misses. Just junk baskets. Again, I give her credit for her extraordinary athleticism but skill set wise, not so much.

Wow. Way overrated ? Not just overrated ? I disagree. As far as the rest of your post, I don't have a clue what you are saying. "Her shooting percentage is not very good" As per ESPN, she is ranked second in the country at 64%.
"Insofar as shooting percentages, of the baskets that she does make, a really percentage of them are layups on put backs of her own misses."
I assume you meant to say " a really HIGH percentage of them are layups on put backs of her own misses" But, if that were true, that sequence would result in a 50% shooting percentage (assuming she made every put back of her own miss on the first try. If it took more than one attempt, the 50% would drop)
Oh, She might very well be the leading candidate for POY at this point in the season and imo is the best rebounder and among the best low post players in wcbb.

Reaction Score

You sure you got the right guy? I mentioned Achonwa not Chiney.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
i want them undefeated what a national title game that would be. the first in the history of mens or women's game. 2 undefeated teams.

Be careful what you wish for....that would scare the bejeezus out of me.....:eek:

Reaction Score
I disagree, I think she is pretty soft for a front line player. Stewie, Steph or Kia could handle her easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom