Is Megan Walker WNBA Ready, Crystal and More | The Boneyard

Is Megan Walker WNBA Ready, Crystal and More

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

“If it’s a team that can put her in the places where she really thrives, ‘Just go out there, Megan, and make some open 3s for us,’ she’ll really succeed, because she does that really well,” Lobo said on a conference call Monday before Friday’s WNBA draft. “If she’s in a situation where she’s asked to do a few more things that are out of her comfort zone, there might be a bigger learning curve for her. But she could end up in a great situation because she can shoot the basketball as well as anybody in this draft, and if she goes to a team that can really focus on that, she’ll have good success.”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and Crystals assessment by Reeve.

Lynx coach and general manager Cheryl Reeve provided some insight into how a WNBA coach views Dangerfield, saying the UConn product will likely be the point guard taken after South Carolina’s Tyasha Harris and is “probably looking at, in the right situation, having the opportunity to be a reserve player in our league as she develops.”

“I think she’s got some good qualities. She can defend, obviously. She can shoot the 3, comes from a great program,” Reeve said. “So I think all those things would allow her to get the opportunity probably later in the first round, and if it’s the right situation, there’s opportunity in terms of a roster spot. She seems like somebody who could make the most of an opportunity.

Reaction Score

“If it’s a team that can put her in the places where she really thrives, ‘Just go out there, Megan, and make some open 3s for us,’ she’ll really succeed, because she does that really well,” Lobo said on a conference call Monday before Friday’s WNBA draft. “If she’s in a situation where she’s asked to do a few more things that are out of her comfort zone, there might be a bigger learning curve for her. But she could end up in a great situation because she can shoot the basketball as well as anybody in this draft, and if she goes to a team that can really focus on that, she’ll have good success.”
I always enjoy the perspectives and insight that Rebecca Lobo provides, but as far as Megan's transition to the WNBA: I don't know what team has the luxury of just having her solely be a 3-point sniper--more has been demanded of both KLS and KML and they are better distance shooters than Meg; and even with that, the defenses in the pro league are not as porous and undisciplined as to allow her wide-open set shots as she often found in the AAC. Of course Megan is very athletically gifted but she has yet to demonstrate that she can create her own shot, and she definitely needs to improve finishing at the rim--had she done so this past year, she would have most likely averaged 25 ppg...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I always enjoy the perspectives and insight that Rebecca Lobo provides, but as far as Megan's transition to the WNBA: I don't know what team has the luxury of just having her solely be a 3-point sniper--more has been demanded of both KLS and KML and they are better distance shooters than Meg; and even with that, the defenses in the pro league are not as porous and undisciplined as to allow her wide-open set shots as she often found in the AAC. Of course Megan is very athletically gifted but she has yet to demonstrate that she can create her own shot, and she definitely needs to improve finishing at the rim--had she done so this past year, she would have most likely averaged 25 ppg...
Meg obviously need to improve, but her shooting in 2019-20 was better than Lou's in her senior season. I think KML is the best shooter of the three, but Meg has moved up to be pretty comprable to Lou. Lou does have a 2-3" height advantage, which helps inside, outside, and on defense.

Reaction Score
Meg obviously need to improve, but her shooting in 2019-20 was better than Lou's in her senior season. I think KML is the best shooter of the three, but Meg has moved up to be pretty comprable to Lou. Lou does have a 2-3" height advantage, which helps inside, outside, and on defense.
Good point. I agree as far as KML being the best pure shooter of the three, but I would not place Meg equal with KLS--the difference between the two is that KLS can shoot under duress better than Meg--Meg hasn't shown yet that she can shoot under defensive pressure like KLS... and she'll get a lot of this in the WNBA no doubt.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One other thing I think is interesting - most would agree Lou had the better career and was more "WNBA" ready, but she really struggled out the gate. The pros have all elite players on their teams.

IMHO Meg's challenges will be that she's not "quick". She's athletic for sure, but just doesn't seem overly quick, which hampers her ability to create her own shot. The other thing is that she is slow to get her shot off. Look at how quick KML can fire off a 3-pointer. She literally catches and sets her feet simultaneously, and then BAM - the ball is shot out of her hands. Meg's shot is slower to leave her hands, which will make her easier to defend. Just my $.02...

I do think she can adjust, but it remains to be seen how successful she will be. Best of luck Meg!!

Reaction Score
Meg's game may be better as an overseas player than in the W. She would have a distinct height advantage if say she plays in Lilliput...

Reaction Score
One other thing I think is interesting - most would agree Lou had the better career and was more "WNBA" ready, but she really struggled out the gate. The pros have all elite players on their teams.

IMHO Meg's challenges will be that she's not "quick". She's athletic for sure, but just doesn't seem overly quick, which hampers her ability to create her own shot. The other thing is that she is slow to get her shot off. Look at how quick KML can fire off a 3-pointer. She literally catches and sets her feet simultaneously, and then BAM - the ball is shot out of her hands. Meg's shot is slower to leave her hands, which will make her easier to defend. Just my $.02...

I do think she can adjust, but it remains to be seen how successful she will be. Best of luck Meg!!

I also have never seen Megan Walker curls off a screen and hit a jumper like Lou. Pretty much all of Meg's shots from outside are standing still set shot and those may be hard to come by in the pros.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would like to see Crystal stick in the WNBA for a year at least and then play some where else for a bit. I think she might have coaching in her future. What did Geno and Crystal discus during all those breaks. I think she is a great student of the game. We shall see.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Crystal stick in the WNBA for a year at least and then play some where else for a bit. I think she might have coaching in her future. What did Geno and Crystal discus during all those breaks. I think she is a great student of the game. We shall see.
It will be interesting to see what Seattle does, they have 5 young players in the frontcourt. A guard might be the best choice.

Reaction Score

1) She is undersized for her position as a 2 or a 3 at 6'1" 2) She does not have a pure jump shot 3) She does not have strong enough moves off the speed bounce to the basket 4) She does not have a pull up 5) She shot mostly "open" 3s, not 3s off of her own moves to get free. I see a lot of challenges. I think she might have felt that she was ready after the "game" against Team USA. However, she was guarded softly by KLS for a portion of the game and it was an exhibition. She has to do a lot more than adjust. She has to improve.

Reaction Score
1) She is undersized for her position as a 2 or a 3 at 6'1" 2) She does not have a pure jump shot 3) She does not have strong enough moves off the speed bounce to the basket 4) She does not have a pull up 5) She shot mostly "open" 3s, not 3s off of her own moves to get free. I see a lot of challenges. I think she might have felt that she was ready after the "game" against Team USA. However, she was guarded softly by KLS for a portion of the game and it was an exhibition. She has to do a lot more than adjust. She has to improve.
Agree with some points, not all. Megan is strong, has great ups, and is used to doing dirty work. While she did not show this move often in college, I see her overpowering and taking most "2's" to the basket. Not sure what a "pure jump shot" is but she hit consistently from outside this year-no reason to think she won't do as well in pros. I think what you see is what you get with Megan but believe particularly as a 2, she will do well in pros.

Reaction Score
Agree with some points, not all. Megan is strong, has great ups, and is used to doing dirty work. While she did not show this move often in college, I see her overpowering and taking most "2's" to the basket. Not sure what a "pure jump shot" is but she hit consistently from outside this year-no reason to think she won't do as well in pros. I think what you see is what you get with Megan but believe particularly as a 2, she will do well in pros.
A pure jump shot is one where the release is while you are suspended in the air. CW has one, Crystal has one and Feesa is probably the best example. Even Liv’s fall away is a jump shot. Megan would shoot it only when she was under the basket and I don’t see many of those in the WNBA on put backs or drive moves because of the size and athleticism underneath. From 6 to 15 feet she would shoot a modified version of her three. Why do you think she underperformed against the Big 3? It was a top flight defender and size underneath and the lack of her ability to create her own shots off the bounce. The most common and best shot off the bounce, with a pick for example is a jump shot. Lobo says she is the best shooter in the draft and I agree but the defense in the pros is a lot different and open 3s are not that easy to come by. There are a lot of 2/3 players there who are bigger and stronger than her. My point is that she does not have a complete game like Feesa for example and the extra year would have given her that if she continued working.

Reaction Score

Lou could create her own shot, blow by the defender and go to the hole, using her length AND pop from distance. By comparison, Meg will need to "blossom", show more offensive versatility than what I saw this year. And not saying she didn't, on occasion drive, just would shoot more from a spot. Yet to see a real jump shot that she went to with any regularity, more the stationary one from the outside.

Reaction Score
A pure jump shot is one where the release is while you are suspended in the air. CW has one, Crystal has one and Feesa is probably the best example. Even Liv’s fall away is a jump shot. Megan would shoot it only when she was under the basket and I don’t see many of those in the WNBA on put backs or drive moves because of the size and athleticism underneath. From 6 to 15 feet she would shoot a modified version of her three. Why do you think she underperformed against the Big 3? It was a top flight defender and size underneath and the lack of her ability to create her own shots off the bounce. The most common and best shot off the bounce, with a pick for example is a jump shot. Lobo says she is the best shooter in the draft and I agree but the defense in the pros is a lot different and open 3s are not that easy to come by. There are a lot of 2/3 players there who are bigger and stronger than her. My point is that she does not have a complete game like Feesa for example and the extra year would have given her that if she continued working.
Agree with many of your points, in particular that MW needs to develop in several key areas. "pure" jump shot is helpful

Reaction Score
Agree with many of your points, in particular that MW needs to develop in several key areas. "pure" jump shot is helpful
[/QUFOTE]
Finishing thoughts. If a player has a consistent outside shot, not sure they need it to be a "pure jump shot." Good skill if moving in traffic but most of the open 3 pointers are from a set position. Why you would think Megan would have trouble with the size of 2's in pros? Predict it will be other way around since she is stronger and as quick as most. Relative to her issues against the top 3 competition this year, my view of games was that at the time played, Kyla and subs offered no offense and it was 4 on 5 with Megan constantly doubled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom