Is Kelly's Roster Spot With Sun In Jeopardy? | The Boneyard

Is Kelly's Roster Spot With Sun In Jeopardy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Sun now have 12 players on their roster, which is possible despite the official limit of 11 because 3 are injured and unable to play or practice. Those are Renee, Tan White, and Kara Lawson. Assuming that they will all be healthy in a week or two, the Sun will have to cut one of their current players. Since Ashley Walker has already been cut, the three newest members of the team are Kayla Pederson, Iziane Castro-Marques, and Sydney Carter.

I unfortunately missed the Phoenix game but I was present for the Sun's victory over Tulsa on Tuesday. Based on what I saw in that game, I doubt that any of the three new players are "easy" cuts. I know that Anne Donovan won't make that sort of decision based on one game, but if one were to do that, Kelly would be the most obvious choice. Pederson had a good game, playing more minutes than Kelsey Griffin and rebounding effectively even against Glory Johnson. Castro-Marques started and played quite effectively, even though her minutes were limited for reasons that I can only guess at. The surprise was that Sydney Carter played exceptionally well -- 8 assists (a team high for the year) and 7 points. By contrast, Kelly played all of 8 minutes and managed to accumulate 5 fouls along with 1 3-pointer and 3 rebounds. She also made a few very bad passes that resulted in turnovers.

Since all three injured players are guards, it would be most logical for the Sun to cut a guard when they return, which would be Carter -- but I doubt whether they will do that if she continues to play like she did against Tulsa. It's possible that they would cut Tan White and decide to embrace a youth movement, but that seems to be an outside chance. I don't see them cutting any of their bigs -- Pederson, Griffin, and Mistie Bass are all playing reasonably well, and the Sun are thin in the front court.

I think Kelly is going through a normal rookie process, making an unusual number of mistakes as she gets used to the competition level and the people in the new league. Many rookies go through that, and yet become effective players in a few seasons. Kalana Greene may be a close-at-hand example of that: she has been very effective for the Sun all year, scoring more than she did at UConn and probably playing more minutes. In my opinion, Kelly was a more impactful player at UConn than Kalana, and her long-term upside in the WNBA may be greater -- but she needs time to develop. I hope that the Sun will be able to give her that time.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
I'd be very surprised if the Sun kept Carter over their first round draft pick, no matter what their stats look like.

If Faris were cut, I'd imagine someone would pick her up pretty quickly.

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
It will likely be Sydney Carter. Once Lawson and Montgomery are back, there won't be any minutes at the point for Syd. I do believe that as a replacement player, she will have to be cut anyway, but of course could be re-signed right after. Hopefully some team picks her up if not the Sun.

That said, I'm not sure what value Tan White has for this team anymore. She hasn't played well since 2010 and is over 30 now.

Reaction Score
Is Kelly's Roster Spot With Sun in Jeopardy? Really? Is this what we are posting on here in the off season? Have so little to do with our time that we need to create a crisis? Is the sky falling? Can we please hold off until there is something to really speak about... not something that might happen two weeks from now... and even then is unlikely

Reaction Score
I'd be very surprised if the Sun kept Carter over their first round draft pick, no matter what their stats look like.

If Faris were cut, I'd imagine someone would pick her up pretty quickly.
I agree. Releasing her now would be too short sighted. Doing this, the Sun would have to ignore Kelly's potential long-term contributions for next year and beyond when, hopefully, when the players sitting out the year due to injuries, return.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Is Kelly's Roster Spot With Sun in Jeopardy? Really? Is this what we are posting on here in the off season? Have so little to do with our time that we need to create a crisis? Is the sky falling? Can we please hold off until there is something to really speak about... not something that might happen two weeks from now... and even then is unlikely

There is no "crisis" in the OP and nothing to indicate that was the poster's intent. He simply asked a legitimate question. The Sun have to cut a player and does Faris' lackluster performance so far put her in jeopardy? I don't think it does but that doesn't invalidate the question.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I hope they cut her and Phoenix dumps Prahalis and picks up Faris. That would be a major improvement.

Carter is a very good guard with a lot of potential. She performed very well at TAMU and she was the glue on that team.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Dumping Prahalis looks to be in the offing - she hasn't been seeing the court. Like ETT, I would not be sorry to see her go.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

What an unpleasant and unnecessary post. If you don't like the topic, how 'bout stay out of it.

TheTruth is right, Sydney's "emergency" contract apparently terminates when one of the three injured guards returns. And I suppose they could cut someone else and re-sign Sydney if they chose to. Kelly has yet to find her way in the W and is on the edge. As I said before the draft Kelly getting drafted fairly high is one thing... sticking on a roster is another.

Her status as a fan favorite AND #1 pick for the Sun makes her a difficult cut but there is no doubt that she is the low performer on the squad right now. Short rosters don't provide much opportunity to develop talent.

Reaction Score
What an unpleasant and unnecessary post. If you don't like the topic, how 'bout stay out of it.

TheTruth is right, Sydney's "emergency" contract apparently terminates when one of the three injured guards returns. And I suppose they could cut someone else and re-sign Sydney if they chose to. Kelly has yet to find her way in the W and is on the edge. As I said before the draft Kelly getting drafted fairly high is one thing... sticking on a roster is another.

Her status as a fan favorite AND #1 pick for the Sun makes her a difficult cut but there is no doubt that she is the low performer on the squad right now. Short rosters don't provide much opportunity to develop talent.

Hows about not starting threads intended to cause conflict. There is no reason for this thread. No indication that Kelly is going to be cut. No indication her spot is in jeopardy, but someone was bored and decided to post that the sky was falling. No. As for my post being unpleasant and unnecessary, I am sorry you feel that way, but if the original post was never uttered then we wouldn't have an issue.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Hows about not starting threads intended to cause conflict. There is no reason for this thread. No indication that Kelly is going to be cut. No indication her spot is in jeopardy, but someone was bored and decided to post that the sky was falling. No. As for my post being unpleasant and unnecessary, I am sorry you feel that way, but if the original post was never uttered then we wouldn't have an issue.

There have been a number of threads posted here that were "intended to cause conflict", this does not come close to that sort of post. It is thoughtful and covers a lot more ground than just Kelly. It appears intended to cause discussion... kinda what we come here for. "The sky is falling"? I don't see anything in Joe's post that suggests such an attitude. Four starters/top bench players are out injured and the team is at the bottom of the Eastern Conference... the sky already fell. The Sun have made it clear they are exploring options beyond waiting for injuries to heal. How this impacts the lowest performing member of the team is reasonable grounds for speculation especially considering her hero status at UConn and being the team's #1 draft choice.

This is not the insular world of UConn basketball, this is the pros... players come and go as teams try to get better (ask Ashley Walker how bad that sucks). Trades, cuts and waivers are a major part of pro sports and are the bread and butter topics of sports talk radio. How can this not be a legit topic here, especially in the off-UConn season?

I am a Sun season ticket holder in the process of enduring this painful season. I am interested in the opinion of others about what can make this team better or how the Sun may proceed at this point. If you are not, fine. Just don't attack posters who are interested.

"... if the original post was never uttered then we wouldn't have an issue". You could say that about any post I guess, but it would make for a pretty dead board. By the way, we don't have an issue... you have an issue. Or is that the "Royal We"?

'Nuff said.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If Faris does not make this squad, which I think she will, she will be snatched up by another team. She is a very intelligent player with a tremendous work ethic and a nice outside shot. And sometimes one team is not a good fit for a player and is a very good fit for another team. Look at Briana Gilbreath with Phoenix. She was cut by LA and Gaines immediately picker her up and now she is a starter. She was a good fit for Phoenix.

I thought Faris would be a great fit for Indiana and I think if she were playing in that system this discussion would be much different.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

dont care about the thread but I "shole" love this comment... carry on!

Reaction Score
The players that would be cut would be the ones who were signed just to fill in for injured players: Castro Marques and Carter. You can't cut a regular roster spot when an injured player comes back.

Reaction Score
If Faris does not make this squad, which I think she will, she will be snatched up by another team. She is a very intelligent player with a tremendous work ethic and a nice outside shot. And sometimes one team is not a good fit for a player and is a very good fit for another team. Look at Briana Gilbreath with Phoenix. She was cut by LA and Gaines immediately picker her up and now she is a starter. She was a good fit for Phoenix.

I thought Faris would be a great fit for Indiana and I think if she were playing in that system this discussion would be much different.

Plus it's home, although she has has been away from home for years now and will be playing in Hungary after the wnba season.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The players that would be cut would be the ones who were signed just to fill in for injured players: Castro Marques and Carter. You can't cut a regular roster spot when an injured player comes back.

So they would have to cut a emergency player, then cut a regular and bring back the emergency player. Is there a line limit to cut a regular player?

Reaction Score
So they would have to cut a emergency player, then cut a regular and bring back the emergency player. Is there a line limit to cut a regular player?

From what I understand (and I could be wrong), they have to release the replacement player first. If they wanted to re-sign that replacement player afterward (and the team had a full roster), a roster spot would have to be opened up, so someone would have to be released. I don't think they have a time limit, but it has to go in that order. Teams have had injured players (injured like out for the year kind of injured--Shyra Ely with Indy for instance) that they cut so they could have a roster spot filled for the entire season.

Reaction Score
From what I understand (and I could be wrong), they have to release the replacement player first. If they wanted to re-sign that replacement player afterward (and the team had a full roster), a roster spot would have to be opened up, so someone would have to be released. I don't think they have a time limit, but it has to go in that order. Teams have had injured players (injured like out for the year kind of injured--Shyra Ely with Indy for instance) that they cut so they could have a roster spot filled for the entire season.

Carter was an injury replacement. She has to go when one of the injured return. Castro Marques was a regular season signee, when either Walker or Lacy was released (forget which), she doesn't have to go.

Reaction Score
Carter was an injury replacement. She has to go when one of the injured return. Castro Marques was a regular season signee, when either Walker or Lacy was released (forget which), she doesn't have to go.

That's right about Castro Marques. I had forgotten about that. I think it was Lacy who was released.

Reaction Score
This team needs to "think rebuild." You don't go cut youth if you don't have to when you are in rebuilding mode.

Reaction Score
lol 11 other teams would love to see her get cut and jump on her to be on their respected team. First I can't believe a ROOKIE after 10 games would be cut? Don't they have to pay their salary still.

Reaction Score
Donovan has said Sydney will likely be the one to go once two of Lawson, Montgomery, or White are ready to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom