Is It Time to Panic? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is It Time to Panic?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Inspired by this ESPN headline, I went to hit the panic button ... but then I couldn't find it and I panicked.

17bc60a6-9ddc-4f88-afb7-f64d9ff3e170_text.gif

sun

Reaction Score
If she got less than a minute against Ball State, I think it’s safe to say that ship has sailed
Maybe Geno hit the panic button when he put her in against UCLA.
See, for the fans there's no need to panic as long as Amari is available because she can be "the wonder sub." :D

Reaction Score
Because of the injuries to key players and the reliance on freshmen to put a lineup on the floor, the team is essentially still in pre-season development mode. I don't think you will see the "real" UConn team until January at this point. They are still learning how to play together and the coaches are still figuring out what combinations of players work best for any given opponent. And, there are fundamental shortcoming to the roster based on the available players, with limited resources available for the front court. If the product on the floor is still playing like they played against Texas when we get to January, then it is time to truly be concerned.

Reaction Score
“Panic?” Maybe not.
Concern? Heck yes.
The best teams they’ve played have beaten them pretty easily.
Geno has spent years during halftime and postgame interview bemoaning the lack of movement, but it has never been fixed.
Quicker teams smoke them, and make some of the players look overmatched.
They have a lot of injuries, which stinks, but the players they have should be good enough. The players they have are supposedly highly touted recruits.
The thing that needs to happen is that the freshmen develop this year, but that’s going to mean Geno letting them play through their mistakes and not insisting Arnold have a safety blanket every time she’s on the floor.

Reaction Score
If by panic you mean, acknowledge that there are other teams with as good a chance as UConn to win the national championship, I'd say the answer is yes.

If you mean that UConn's out of the running for a natty, nope.
It is difficult to argue at this point that UCONN is really in the running for a NC. True, they aren't out of the running. Few teams are. But they do not compare well, at this moment, to at least 10 other teams ( UCONN is ranked 17th after all ). We can, and will, get much better. But so will everyone, unless they have key injuries and we do not ( good luck with that one ). But if we were to play South Carolina or LSU tomorrow, do you really think we would win? We have a chance, of course, but not a realistic one. There is no need to " panic" because it doesn't;t earn us a thing to do so. But at this moment, UCONN has the slimmest chance of becoming NC in 2024. We all know that.

Reaction Score
UConn has two challenging games coming up in UNC and Louisville. To me, the UNC game
will be very important for the team's confidence. I believe that if they beat UNC they will beat
Louisville. If they lose to UNC they will lose to Louisville.
Well go put your money on what you think will happen. You may be right and you may be wrong. I do agree, it is key for UCONN to play really well on Sunday. Better than they have so far.

Reaction Score
I don’t think panic mode will happen. After this season the harsh reality is that we have an excruciating long wait until next year. .

Reaction Score
I hope i'm wrong but the way this team is playing now they may fall out of the top 25 this year.
When you have an All American, and another All Big East player in Aaliyah, if they stay healthy and Ash develops the way she has been, you are at least a top 20 team and I believe a top 10 team by the end of the year. If we get Caroline and Ay back, even better.

Reaction Score
Because of the injuries to key players and the reliance on freshmen to put a lineup on the floor, the team is essentially still in pre-season development mode. I don't think you will see the "real" UConn team until January at this point. They are still learning how to play together and the coaches are still figuring out what combinations of players work best for any given opponent. And, there are fundamental shortcoming to the roster based on the available players, with limited resources available for the front court. If the product on the floor is still playing like they played against Texas when we get to January, then it is time to truly be concerned.
Except that Texas is a top 5 team and we have not played well against the top tier teams. However, we crushed Maryland. I am more concerned with playing poorly against the lower tier teams which we should not because of the talent differential. I think the beginning of January may be premature. If this team becomes a contender for a FF or Elte 8 berth it will be because of the "Geno Metamorphosis" that occurs every February. For example, Q has to learn the switching defense and how not to loose her man at the faster pace, with bigger, better players than she saw this time last year. That will come. KK has to learn when not to drive or leave her feet with the ball on a pass. That will come. I think February, not January.

Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say panic, but surrendering to realty is more like it. Of course , losses to both NC and Louisville could push Husky Nation into full throttle panic. Should it? I guess it depends on your expectations for the team. For this group in this set of circumstances, IMO sweet 16 would be a successful season and Elite 8 would be an overachievement. A FF would be Geno’s greatest coaching accomplishment and would propel this team among the all time greats, given the circumstances.
While the numerous injuries have weakened the team considerably I think most teams who had a national player of the year a3rd team all American returning 2 four year
Contributing players and 4 talented freshman
Would not consider an elite 8 and overachievment
Keep hearing the problem is a lack of size
To that I would point out that the turnovers agsinst
Texas we’re as much a reason for the loss as rebounding
lack of size should cut both ways sure a guard should have trouble defending inside and rebounding but should be a mismatch for a big player trying to guard the smaller player in space

Imho the team is only playing well in spurts
And generally. Inconsistent including the seniors
Paige seems to be stronger and better physically
Than ever but has not dominated as she did in
The past. Seems to be a combination of strategy,
The teams inability to get her the ball or her reluctance to demand the ball
The team is not playing right now like a final four contendor let alone national championship team
And imho not playing to the level of their talent
My take is that the team and not just the freshman
Make way too many mental errors
Will make no predictions on how the season
Will go other than to say the talent is there
For big improvement

UConn women’s basketball fans have been a custom to not only a great level of talent but talent that played an extraordinary high-level that was probably unrealistic
There are 10-15 teams imho with talent as good or better than Uconn
We’re now where it will take the a game to beat
Good teams and making a final four would be a great accomplishment
Have enjoyed this season, immensely just having paige back on the court and watching the freshman

Someone said that GA “did the most with the most”
Will see if he can do the most without the most

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m not in a panic, but I have lowered my expectations. I’d like to see us stay in the rankings and keep our losses to single digits. Winning the BE and tournament are definitely possible, though the margin for error is small. I’m not sure about the NCAA tourney, but getting a top 16 seed to play in Storrs and placement in Albany will help. We have 10 players and lots of opportunity. The frosh and Ice need to find a fast track. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Lots of good points! The one that confuses me is about talent. First you note the high level of talent UConn has (NpoY, AA, two 4 year vets and 4 promising freshmen). Then later you state 10-15 teams have same or better talent than UConn! Which is it? I sure can’t name 10-15 teams that have equal or better talent than UConn. Can you enlighten me?
I think having top 10-15 talent on the country
Is “good talent”
I can name 10-15 teams imho

Stanford ucla Texas lsu nc state so Carolina ohio
State Notre dame Fla state Indiana have equal of better talent
Maybe usc and
Iowa with the best player in wbb

Then utah Colorado and Va Tech who not as talented but very well coached

Point of my post is that UConn is in a different
Spot than in the past not the favorite

Look at it this way Creighton got to the elite8
Two years ago with way less talent by being
Extremely well coached and playing very well

Reaction Score
I think I'll treat each game as UCONN's SEASON!
Just go game by game and see where they wind up!
Not looking down the road.
Play the regular season Big East, play the BE Tournament, try to qualify to get into the NCAA Tournament, and how far they can go will be step by step, never looking ahead!
They still have some great pieces of the puzzle to play with, it will depend on how long it takes for Geno and his great staff to figure out plans of attack that they and the players can have confidence in!
Either way I'll look at the end result and be proud at what they were able to accomplish!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
One day at a time, one game at a time. That's the way I see it.

The team is adjusting to the new reality. It will come but probably in spurts for a while.

Sunday, do they beat NC? I say yes. It won't be pretty and at times may be ugly. Louisville, I say we win. Again, not pretty but who cares at this point.

We win we will climb in the polls.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the team has potentially difficult decisions coming up related to Caroline and Ayanna. It is still early, but there is some chance that either player may miss most of the season, but be able to return late in the season and help some but still not be all the way back.

So if they could return with a few games left, should they? Right now if they don't return they can extend their eligibility with a redshirt year. I don't remember for sure the cutoff, someone can help me with that, but I thought it was somewhere around 6 games.

In both cases there could be long term concerns. Both could recover and be fine somewhere down the road, or their issues could be close to career ending. I say that with Ayanna just because whatever they did do doesn't seem to be working, and I believe Geno once made a comparison to Morgan Tuck's knee issues.

With near and long term uncertainty that complicates the situation even more. If I thought Caroline and Ayanna had a good chance to return to what we hoped and expected for them, I might value redshirting and having them available for a full productive year vs. providing a little help for a few games at less than full strength this year. On the other hand those few games at the end might be the most important games of the season, so it could be a tough decision.

I hope for the best for Caroline and Ayanna and this hypothetical scenario certainly may not develop, but if it did I think it would be a tough decision to make.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the team has potentially difficult decisions coming up related to Caroline and Ayanna. It is still early, but there is some chance that either player may miss most of the season, but be able to return late in the season and help some but still not be all the way back.

So if they could return with a few games left, should they? Right now if they don't return they can extend their eligibility with a redshirt year. I don't remember for sure the cutoff, someone can help me with that, but I thought it was somewhere around 6 games.

In both cases there could be long term concerns. Both could recover and be fine somewhere down the road, or their issues could be close to career ending. I say that with Ayanna just because whatever they did do doesn't seem to be working, and I believe Geno once made a comparison to Morgan Tuck's knee issues.

With near and long term uncertainty that complicates the situation even more. If I thought Caroline and Ayanna had a good chance to return to what we hoped and expected for them, I might value redshirting and having them available for a full productive year vs. providing a little help for a few games at less than full strength this year. On the other hand those few games at the end might be the most important games of the season, so it could be a tough decision.

I hope for the best for Caroline and Ayanna and this hypothetical scenario certainly may not develop, but if it did I think it would be a tough decision to make.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness… at what point do we really start incorporating both Amari and Ines into the rotation with meaningful minutes. Like why not at this point? What is Geno trying to prove by not doing so?

Reaction Score
I think you have posted exactly what some of us (well, me) have been wanting to post.
I think she is one of UConn's greatest players, unfortunately only off the court. She seems to be having a good time when sitting on the bench.
She has become a "project" and may always have been one, but miracles could happen. If a fire could be lit, and one of the coaches took it upon herself to fan the flames and every day is catching and shooting drills and and bouncing off a large practice player. Amari has added another inch, so let's maximize her potential. At this point, nothin' to lose. We've got the coaching personnel. Whoever takes it on and succeeds is due a big raise.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
He's proving to be the head coach of the team. Obviously at this point, Amari has yet to prove that she can consistently contribute. This is her 3rd season and has yet to prove her capabilities in practice. So why should she be treated differently from her teammates that are proving their capabilities in practice?

In all seriousness.

In all seriousness… at what point do we really start incorporating both Amari and Ines into the rotation with meaningful minutes. Like why not at this point? What is Geno trying to prove by not doing so?

Reaction Score
I’ve been rooting for Amari to succeed since Day 1. So it’s not like I don’t share some of this sentiment. But one reason why — and we all know this — is about morale and discipline. If Geno plays someone who doesn’t work well in practice, he might worry that it will impact the morale of the rest of the team who work really hard in practice. He may well be estimating that the impact on morale is likely to be greater than whatever advantage is gained by playing her.

My take here is to reason backwards from the fact that he won’t play her to the likely cause, that she’s not working hard in practice. I don’t think we have anything else to go on.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Okay, let's face the facts that we have right now. First of all, Geno should forget about Caroline as a key player this year, and deal with this problem as if she will NOT return this year. If she does, that would be great, and she could come off the bench to spell the starters and hopefully give us some instant offence. Next Yanna. Wow, this one we can't forget, because we really need her going forward. She can provide us with rebounding, and, maybe some offense, but when is she coming back?
As far as the starters, Ashlynn obviously should be in there. She has shown that she can make a 3, really good at the midrange, pretty good defensively, and is not afraid to mix it up with the other team. Ice or Aubrey would be in there as well, with Nika and Aaliyah. Geno has to settle for a starting lineup, cause if he continues to change it every game than he will never get the relief rotations right. North Carolina is huge if we can win, and if we do, Louisville should be a cakewalk. He knows who is available, so he has to work with who is ready to go and don't worry about the others. Settle with the current players, especially the freshmen, as they cannot sit on the bench if he wants to succeed this year. It definitely is not what he has done before in his coaching career, but the times are changing, don't worry about age, just put in the best players possible and let's see how far we can go.

Reaction Score
I have always felt that Paige was the key to UConn making a NC run. I think from what I have seen so fat this season Paige ihas recovered from her injuries both mentally and physically but she is not the same player we saw her freshman year, that player was supremely confident and loved the game. I think Paige feels the weight of the UConn legacy and is trying so hard it is affecting her play. I want to see those pin point passes, that nobody can guard me attitude, and finally that joy just from playing the game. Hopefully freshman Paige returns and I can once again marvel at her game!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom