Is it Time for Dave Benedict to Find a New Job? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is it Time for Dave Benedict to Find a New Job?

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say Connecticut doesn't live and die or identify with college sports like many fans of P5 institutions.
That's because a lot of P5's are in the middle of nowhere and have a history of big time football. UConn never had big football, I would say Connecticut identifies with UConn basketball almost as much as any place.

Reaction Score
Unbelievable. Guy come in to Kevin Freaking Ollie and Bob Fiasco as coaches. We are in the AAC because Manuel and Herbs thought it was more important to sip umbrella drinks than lobby the ACC and the media but somehow it’s his fault. The women lost in the Final Four as did field hockey ( after consecutive championships).

The freshman loaded hockey team struggled (under a coach hired by Warde you should note). But it’s Benedict who is at fault.. you can’t make up the dopeiness of some people

Reaction Score
she came in saying sports is the front porch blah blah blah and then spent her time lighting bags of feces on the porch
I've noticed with all our terrible leadership, they all use the same folksy canned phrases and rah rah bulls^^t. Suzie, Diaco, and Ollie sound more like kindergarten teachers than leaders at a major state U.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst may not have dealt successfully with some of the long-term challenges at UConn -- such as the inability to get into a P5 conference, the relatively low endowment, the lack of superstar professors (Nobel prize winners, etc.), not being in the AAU, the inability to connect closer to Connecticut's business community, and the need to renovate many buildings and dorms -- Monteith, Arjona, the Jungle, etc. These are long-term goals that hopefully the next president will address. But she has made UConn a better place in smaller ways. The school's impressive freshmen orientation program, engaging learning centers in the dorms, improvements in the Honors Program, improving the basic quality found among the students and faculty -- happened in her tenure. She should be accountable for her failures but also praised for her successes.
This must be sarcasm, you just described a horrible president.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've noticed with all our terrible leadership, they all use the same folksy canned phrases and rah rah bulls^^t. Suzie, Diaco, and Ollie sound more like kindergarten teachers than leaders at a major state U.

What’s your favorite sport?

Lacrosse.

You seriously can’t make this place up.

The new guy likes to swim and lifeguard. awesome.

Reaction Score

Lacrosse.

He's obviously an incredibly bright guy but as soon as I read his bio and saw him in his sit-down interview I got a queasy feeling. His look and mannerisms are reminiscent of Eugene Levy playing a character in a Christopher Guest movie.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I still think a decent first step would be a formal study to map a direction on how UConn could make it into the B10 or ACC. It may need to come from the governor's office.
This. Exactly this!

The women lost in the final four for third time in three years. That is simply unacceptable. I mean MBBs basketball is in the middle of rebuild and football has been a smoldering pile of crap for years, but when the women attain only final fours and not natties, it is time to take bold decisive strokes.

What we clearly need is study/map as to how to get the B1G or the ACC. But it can't be any study. It needs to be a formal one and done by politicians. Surely when the Big Ten of ACC presidents see it's helvetica type, fine bond paper and glossy cover they will know that we are serious.

Thank you @LoyalFanCT. Thank you for your genius. I hope that we are witnessing the start of movement.

Reaction Score

Lacrosse.

Some of us were shouted down very loudly when we mentioned there were red flags with Herbst and where sports were headed. Front porch they said, Jackson Labs they said, Storrs Center they said.

Great things all i'm sure, but on her watch we saw all our athletic peers move on to greener pastures. I won't say she guided us from BCS to mid major status but others might. Now ill look out for the incoming.

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say Connecticut doesn't live and die or identify with college sports like many fans of P5 institutions.
If this was true you wouldnt have half the fan base pining for the Big East while the other half is screaming that football is our only hope for the P5. What both sides fear the most is permanent mid major status.

Reaction Score
He's obviously an incredibly bright guy but as soon as I read his bio and saw him in his sit-down interview I got a queasy feeling. His look and mannerisms are reminiscent of Eugene Levy playing a character in a Christopher Guest movie.
I appreciate your skepticism but try to give him a chance. I do not recall another UConn president who has an engineering background -- not to mention he was the No. 2 guy at the nationally respected UVA and was dean of the engineering school at Duke. Perhaps, if we can somehow turn around our men's BB and FB teams -- and field hockey and women's BB can win a few more national championships -- he can use his contacts with UVA, Duke etc. to have us reconsidered for the ACC. He has made it a priority to double federal research funding, recruit top professors, has already met with state business leaders, and no doubt is aware UConn fundraising has to get better. Either he could give clear direction to Benedict what he wants to see in athletics, or he could work with someone else in the post. As fans, we have to make it clear to the new president we want a competitive football program, as well as excellence in other sports.

Reaction Score
This. Exactly this!

The women lost in the final four for third time in three years. That is simply unacceptable. I mean MBBs basketball is in the middle of rebuild and football has been a smoldering pile of crap for years, but when the women attain only final fours and not natties, it is time to take bold decisive strokes.

What we clearly need is study/map as to how to get the B1G or the ACC. But it can't be any study. It needs to be a formal one and done by politicians. Surely when the Big Ten of ACC presidents see it's helvetica type, fine bond paper and glossy cover they will know that we are serious.

Thank you @LoyalFanCT. Thank you for your genius. I hope that we are witnessing the start of movement.

Here is an example of a similar study. Pitt did it internally. I think CT has a culture where it would have to come from the governor's office.
Pitt Athletics unveils strategic plan for long-term growth - The Pitt News Here is another one from Oregon State. Build the Dam - Oregon State Athletics Strategic Plan

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here is an example of a similar study. Pitt did it internally. I think CT has a culture where it would have to come from the governor's office.
Pitt Athletics unveils strategic plan for long-term growth - The Pitt News Here is another one from Oregon State. Build the Dam - Oregon State Athletics Strategic Plan
Wow this is great stuff! Here are the six strategic goals from the Pitt study:
  • Compete at a level of athletic excellence measured by championships, ACC finishes, national rankings and the Director’s cup while maintaining program integrity.
  • Recruit, develop and retain the best student athletes, coaches and staff that embody the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion while supporting their continued growth and success.
  • Educate, retain and graduate our student-athletes with an emphasis on achieving academic excellence at a rate that compares favorably within the ACC and nationwide.
  • Strengthen our resource-base in order to facilitate championship level success across the athletic department.
  • Prioritize and allocate our resources with a focus on the growth and success of our athletic programs and infrastructure.
  • Unify our Pitt alumni and friends worldwide and inspire pride through enhanced collaboration, communication and engagement.

Genius! Try for championships? Recruit good athletes and educate them? Prioritize resources? Pure gold. We should do every one!

Reaction Score
Wow this is great stuff! Here are the six strategic goals from the Pitt study:
  • Compete at a level of athletic excellence measured by championships, ACC finishes, national rankings and the Director’s cup while maintaining program integrity.
  • Recruit, develop and retain the best student athletes, coaches and staff that embody the University’s commitment to diversity and inclusion while supporting their continued growth and success.
  • Educate, retain and graduate our student-athletes with an emphasis on achieving academic excellence at a rate that compares favorably within the ACC and nationwide.
  • Strengthen our resource-base in order to facilitate championship level success across the athletic department.
  • Prioritize and allocate our resources with a focus on the growth and success of our athletic programs and infrastructure.
  • Unify our Pitt alumni and friends worldwide and inspire pride through enhanced collaboration, communication and engagement.

Genius! Try for championships? Recruit good athletes and educate them? Prioritize resources? Pure gold. We should do every one!
Here are more details from the study. Highlights of Pitt's new athletics strategic plan

Reaction Score
I will check into later and let you know. There is plenty of fluff. But lot of specifics. Such studies are done at colleges all over the nation. In UConn's case since there is a historical bias against decent funding of the university, if the group doing the study included business leaders, fiscal conservatives may be a little more sympathetic. I know sports is about winning, but given where UConn is right now, a study might be a needed intermediate step. Any study UConn does would have to spell out how much a recommendation would cost and practical ways to get there.

Reaction Score
UConn sports does not seem to have improved with David Benedict as athletic director. UConn football was awful last season. The once mighty UConn men's basketball team was mediocre. And UConn WM basketball just lost a heart breaker to Notre Dame. The men's hockey team struggled despite having talent. Field Hockey fell apart in OT against Maryland in the NCAAs. Baseball may become our one hope. Is it time for Benedict to find another job? Isn't he supposed to give leadership to the overall program? If we don't get better soon, UConn won't even be on the radar screen if an opening comes in a P5 conference.
Kind of a stupid comment Loyalfan. Benedict has done a great job under very difficult conditions. He found a way to get rid of Diaco which was big. It is going to take RE time to build the team up but I think he will get it done. Kevin Ollie unfortunately had many personal problems and was not getting it done. The program was rapidly going backwards into oblivion. I think Dan Hurley was a TREMENDOUS HIRE!! He is going to build us back to relevance though it is going to take some time. I think Geno had a pretty good year winning over 30 GAMES and losing to ND in the Final Four!! Give me a break, your living in fantasy world.

Reaction Score
It's all such childish language. It drives me up a wall. It's like they're talking about their kids Pop Warner crap

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DB is a db
All he wants is a SEC job and go south
Please something open up - get him out and lets get someone in here whose heart and soul is into UConn and making things right
Herbst is gone - step one
DB the db is next

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Kind of a stupid comment Loyalfan. Benedict has done a great job under very difficult conditions. He found a way to get rid of Diaco which was big. It is going to take RE time to build the team up but I think he will get it done. Kevin Ollie unfortunately had many personal problems and was not getting it done. The program was rapidly going backwards into oblivion. I think Dan Hurley was a TREMENDOUS HIRE!! He is going to build us back to relevance though it is going to take some time. I think Geno had a pretty good year winning over 30 GAMES and losing to ND in the Final Four!! Give me a break, your living in fantasy world.
You have your opinion and others have theirs
Show some tolerance and understand that there are a lot of folks who are not on the DB bandwagon
I don't agree with you but I won't call your comments stupid or a fantasy
I'm glad your happy - on the other side I feel DB was a questionable hire at best - JC set up the DH hire and a monkey could have closed that deal
Relevance is a very broad term.......................................

Reaction Score
You have your opinion and others have theirs
Show some tolerance and understand that there are a lot of folks who are not on the DB bandwagon
I don't agree with you but I won't call your comments stupid or a fantasy
I'm glad your happy - on the other side I feel DB was a questionable hire at best - JC set up the Dan Hurley hire and a monkey could have closed that deal
Relevance is a very broad term.........
Oh please. Calhoun set up the Hurley hire? I guess if you think forcing Ollie on us and knowing Manuel lacked the guts to ssay no constitutes setting up the Hurley hire...after the mess that was Kevin Ollie why would you think they turned to Calhoun to get the NEXT coach? They brought him in at the end of the process to keep the old guard from screwing it up. He didn’t set it up, except to the extent that his selection of Ollie’s was an unmitigated disaster.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh please. Calhoun set up the Hurley hire? I guess if you think forcing Ollie on us and knowing Manuel lacked the guts to ssay no constitutes setting up the Hurley hire...after the mess that was Kevin Ollie why would you think they turned to Calhoun to get the NEXT coach? They brought him in at the end of the process to keep the old guard from screwing it up. He didn’t set it up, except to the extent that his selection of Ollie’s was an unmitigated disaster.

There isn’t a sentient being who didn’t realize Hurley was the best available coach.

They got him signed - so I will give Benedict credit for that but it’s not like the ENTIRE world didn’t know he was the best candidate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom