Is it really a rivalry? | The Boneyard

Is it really a rivalry?

Reaction Score
Conventional wisdom, we hear it all the time, is that UConn-ND is THE biggest rivalry in women's college basketball.

Is it really a rivalry?

Well, the facts seem to indicate otherwise. BSD (before Skylar Diggins), we routinely destroyed ND. (OK, OK, we lost in 2001 in the FF.) ASD, we have beaten them 7 times in a row. I mean, is this a rivalry? Not really.

In contrast, Minnesota vs. LA in the WNBA is a rivalry. They are 8-8 against each other in the last 2 years, and many of the games come down to the last possession or 2.

Except for this last game, the ASD games are somewhat close, but we are always in control.

I say that saying UConn-ND is the biggest rivalry just supports the fact that UConn is so very much better than any other program. Sure, sure, we can lose. It's sports and things like the MS game always happen. But, we are in fact so much better than the other programs. There really isn't a rivalry, because there is not a program to compete with us, not over any reasonable length of time.

Thoughts?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I get your point, but considering that UConn has only 2 losses in the past 4+ seasons, with most victories by double digits, ND is at least a competitive game that is about the best WBB can do for a genuine rivalry as far as the Huskies are concerned. While Diggins was at ND, it certainly was a great rivalry.

Back to your point, I’ve often commented that I miss the heyday of Pat Summitt and the Vols. Those games were tremendous battles that truly constituted the biggest rivalry in WBB.

But short of TN or another team raising their level of play to be able to compete with UConn year in and year out, ND - UConn will have to pass as the best rivalry in WBB.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I thought the recent UConn-Notre Dame dame was highly competitive and a great demonstration of women's basketball at its highest level. Either team could have won until UConn pulled away in the fourth quarter. To me that constitutes a rivalry.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Conventional wisdom, we hear it all the time, is that UConn-ND is THE biggest rivalry in women's college basketball.

Is it really a rivalry?

Well, the facts seem to indicate otherwise. BSD (before Skylar Diggins), we routinely destroyed ND. (OK, OK, we lost in 2001 in the FF.) ASD, we have beaten them 7 times in a row. I mean, is this a rivalry? Not really.

In contrast, Minnesota vs. LA in the WNBA is a rivalry. They are 8-8 against each other in the last 2 years, and many of the games come down to the last possession or 2.

Except for this last game, the ASD games are somewhat close, but we are always in control.

I say that saying UConn-ND is the biggest rivalry just supports the fact that UConn is so very much better than any other program. Sure, sure, we can lose. It's sports and things like the MS game always happen. But, we are in fact so much better than the other programs. There really isn't a rivalry, because there is not a program to compete with us, not over any reasonable length of time.

Thoughts?
Close-Enough-Meme-01.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For me, 3 ingredients are needed for a rivalry

1) The teams play often and continuously without long breaks (many years)
2) Fans from both sides look forward to the game and your as happy seeing the other team lose as seeing your team win.
3) You do not feel certain you will win. Yes, we were favorites against ND but I was nervous before (and in this case throughout ) the game.

Best rivalry in the game at present. (Maybe Baylor / TX comes close?)

Reaction Score
It is the best rivalry as one could get in 2017! Yes ND has lost to UConn a bunch lately. Uconn82, I bet you will not like it if anyone says that it was not a rivalry when UConn lost 7 out of 8 games when Diggins was in town.
As for Baylor/TX rivalry, it is just a rivalry in Texas / Big12. Untill they both rank in top 3 or top 5, it will not have much of impact outside Texas.

Reaction Score

Is it really a rivalry?

Thoughts?
Not really. A few years ago when things got pretty bad with Muffet, Geno in a moment of candor said something like "It is not a rivalry when you beat someone 3 to 1" The recent record is 36-11. Unfortunately there is no real rivalry vs the Huskies. Yes Stanford , Baylor and ND have beaten us in some critical games but overall they have taken a lot more beating. But ND and Stanford are the closest thing helping the purpose in raising the hype. Lets enjoy it while it last. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I would say a rivalry can be formed by two geographically close teams that play every year. Or teams that have jockeyed for the top spot in a division or a conference for a long period of time. Or teams that have played each other evenly over the course of many years. ND does not meet any of these criteria. I think you need history to cultivate a rivalry, and there's just not enough of it in WCBB yet. ND is just another great team we play every year like South Carolina and Baylor.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

When ND was up 11 in the 4th quarter last Sunday, it seemed like a rivalry.

Yes, no one has come close to matching UConn's success and no one consistently beats them. So in that sense, UConn has no rivals.

Call it what you want, but all the talk after the game was how that was the loudest UConn crowd in a while. It's not an coincidence that ND was the opponent that drew such a crowd. ND is the team on UConn's schedule with which UConn (the fans at least) have the most bad blood.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, it's a rivalry. Let's just enjoy it and stop thinking we're too good for it.
Is it okay if we enjoy and still think we're too good for it?

Why ND is our rival:

1) Rivals have to have a chance to beat you to stay relevant.
Muffet understands what we do and how to exploit it. ND will always be dangerous when she's there.

2) Rivals must have beaten, especially in meaningful games.
Muffet has beaten us. When Diggins was there it happened all too regularly. ND took the BET championship in 2013, beat us in the NCAAs in 2011 and won the NC in 2001 (Ruth Riley.)

3) Rivals must genuinely dislike each other.
Miss Muffet has refused to stand or applaud for our players getting awards and talked smack about Geno. Sure everything is all hugs and kisses now, but fans (like CL82) have long memories.

I wrote that from the UConn fans perspective but think about it from the ND/Muffet prospective. Muffet would be the best active coach of her generation but for Geno. Think that doesn't bother her? ND fans would have had the most dominant WBB program but for UConn. I have believe that that stings.

So yeah, it's a rivalry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am a charter member of the hate ND club, but I have huge respect for Muffett and her program. She’s more than a good x’s and o’s coach. Her players are imbued with a warrior mentality that always makes them a tough opponent, even when, as there has been of late, a sizeable talent disparity vs UConn. That’s what makes beating them much more satisfying than beating anyone else...so, rivalry? Yep, that’s good enough for me!

Reaction Score
It's a rivalry
  • because there was a time that ND beat UConn pretty consistently;
  • because they compete for a lot of the same recruits: Muffet went all out (far more than UConn would do) for Megan Walker;
  • because ND appears in the final four enough to meet UConn when the chips are down;
  • but mostly because the 2 coaches have known each other for ~40 years, and, despite the occasional M&M birthday gift, Geno and Muffet do not really like one another

Reaction Score
In the 2001 FF, UCONN was down not 1, but TWO All Americans to career ending injury. In that 2 season run where ND won a string of miracle last second and overtime victories, the UCONN roster was depleted by the defections of EDD and Walker.................and unlike 'some' teams (ND, for eample) UCONN can't just go out an poach a top player from another team, then have the NCAA instantly clear that transfer to play.

Luck-o-the-Irish???

Reaction Score
A rivalry to me is Red Sox-Yankees, Ohio State-Michigan, Flyers-Pens, Celts-Lakers, and so on. Because WCBB is still relatively new, there are times where there is an intense back and forth over a period of 5-10 years. I just don't think that's a rivalry in the way that most people think of it outside of WCBB.

Reaction Score

Is it really a rivalry?

Thoughts?

I must disagree, mon amour, ND IS our primary rival, as they have been poised yearly to be the nation's best team, except for those pests from Storrs. This year is a very competitive team with THREE, count em' 3, scoring guards, one of them an experienced transfer, plus a very lucky big from Nebraska who has integrated smoothly for Muffet's team. They would have beaten us last weekend except for our crowd and some fortuitous bounces. I can't forget the agony of the winter of 2013, losing three times before Stewie's semi-final coming-out party, and our current 7-0 run. Until another team comes along and Tennessee emerges from their depths of ineptitude, Da Irish will be a yearly reminder to be on our toes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom