Is hoping for Megan Walker to come to UConn a lost cause? and other recruiting news | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is hoping for Megan Walker to come to UConn a lost cause? and other recruiting news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Keep in mind these upcoming recruiting classes are Geno's last ones.
I suppose one could say that about any coach, regardless of age. Coaches take other jobs, just plain retire, get fired, etc. I know a world traveling musician that worked until he was 103 years old. Played for the troops in Hawaii during the first world war, and later with Louis Armstrong, Elvis & others.

So it's all conjecture. Geno shows no sign of slowing down, perhaps he'll retain his skills for another 30 years. If so, many recruits that thought as you suggest would miss out.

Signed,
Jack LaLanne:)

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I don't know how to analyze future classes before they play (as Coco points out). I wasn't impressed with Stef when I first saw her. My take was that she might become a useful backup (I missed that one by a mile).

I worry now that if we don't add Walker or a couple of dynamic bigs that the next few years may resemble the dark ages after D moved on.

Those four years we had players who were of championship caliber (Strother, Turner, Rene,Tina....) but we just didn't have enough to get up and over the teams ahead of us. We were missing the scoring options we needed to become champions again. It wasn't until Maya's second year that we were strong enough to add another ring.

I remember thinking that Charde was going to be like Maya (before we knew what being like Maya really meant), but her game was not as suited to Uconn's as D's, Maya's and Stewie's have been and we suffered through, what for Uconn was, a NC drought.

KLS and Ann are different players with different skill sets, but one thing that they have in common (which I think was true for KML as well) is that they are complimentary players (extraordinary players but not stand alone talents like the Big Three).

I think that we are looking for another scoring talent and I'll admit that I don't know who that will be (Walker, Charlie Collier, the other dozen or so players who draw attention here), but fortunately Geno has done a pretty good job of finding the kind of players that do fit in here, and that have been able to rise to the challenge of competing for the untimate goal.

Like everyone else here on the Board I'll continue to obsess over our potential recruits, but also like everyone else I won't really know what we have until they're on the court dancing to Geno's music.

I wonder what Alexander von Humboldt would have made of all this.

Reaction Score
I too hope the UCONN recruiting picks up but I'm not as worried about a dark ages because so far the major talent that has said no to UCONN is being dispersed between South Carolina, ND, Baylor even TN. Cox to ND plus the rest of that recruiting class would have almost certainly put ND on top for a while but then Taya departs ND and that puts ND closer back to the pack. No one of significance has joined Wilson in S. Carolina for two straight recruiting classes now. Baylor adding Cox is a significant gain for Baylor but added with MontPremier & Brown how much more powerful can the Baylor post become? Stanford added 3 Mickey D's AA this year they will contend ( For a Pac 10 Championship if they are lucky ) because Cal might add Ionescu & Oregon just added a stellar recruiting class making Pac 10 championship up for grabs. MD may get #1 recruiting class this year but I see the class as adding depth to already talented positions leaving MD contending to make sweet 16 next year- an improvement over this year.
Geno + KLS + Crystal is enough to keep UCONN out of the dark ages. Throw in Gabby, Kia, & Napheesa and UCONN will remain in contention for NCs.
Let's don't leave Butler off. When she improves her low post game, she will be an important part of Husky's competitiveness.

Reaction Score
We're doomed.
Ok, we're not doomed, but there's no doubt that our recruiting as it stands now will not support the results we are accustomed to over the last few years.
By this I mean the level of dominance that we have enjoyed.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Maybe, but a front line next year of Taya, Cox, Turner, Boley, & Westbeld would have been a problem for everyone for quite a while.

If that lineup was at ND, it could've presented a similar situation to the one described for Baylor: too many people for a few slots.
On the other hand, it would've been a nice issue to have, rather than have 5'9" Hannah Huffman play the high post for stretches of games!

But back to what we will have...right now, it looks like a three-person rotation at the two forward slots, with Turner, Westbeld and Boley, with Westbeld being the swing player. That's one more true forward than we've been working with most of the year, so that's a positive. Plus, we've got Jackie Young joining Marina Mabrey and Arike Ogunbowale at wing/off guard with Lindsay Allen and Ali Patberg at point.

Like UConn, it would be nice/essential to bring in more bigs with the class of 2017.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind these upcoming recruiting classes are Geno's last ones. A recruit from the 2017 or 18 class may not have Geno waiting for them at center court on Senior Day. While this may not impact recruiting right now, I'd expect it to come next year or the season after that when he's out on the recruiting trail.
No one knows whether there is a shred of truth in this (he may want to coach into his 70s, esp. with his outstanding staff around him and fantastic resources), but, to be sure, other coaches are saying this about him.

Reaction Score
Yes, Megan Walker might still land at UConn.
No, I do no feel like 2016 and 2017 classes are weak, not sure how anyone can claim this before they even play a single game yet.
Maybe, UCONN's 2016 class is done baring some last minute shift. 2017 might shape up to be a monster if we get MeganTron
I like your trust and belief in the incoming class. Yet, by their rating (which does not show heart or what Geno magic does) they are not comparable to 2012. Uconn needs for Butler to become a Steff, Collier to become a Tuck, Katie Lou to become a 5/8th Stew, Dangerfield to become 1/2 Moriah and the rest of the newbies to hit the floor running. Chong and Ekmark are Chong and Ekmark I see no changes there. oh yes Gabby must be Gabby but better. Weak isn't ever good to put to a Uconn class or team but some realities exist. What is certain ND, Baylor, Tenn, USC, Stanford and a dozen others are thrilled with what Uconn will look like next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2016: Crystal is a surefire star. She may not be as successful as Moriah, but I think she'll be close. She was the top recruit in her class under 6'3". Kyla and Molly are really unknowns. I think both can be solid role players. Both are smart and well coached, and they play hard. Kyla may need to get stronger or trimmer, but she can hit the three, dribble well with both hands, and do a bunch of good things. Molly is tenacious, quick, and versatile. I would have liked Cox, McCoy, and/or Boley, but I think it's a pretty good class.

2017: Andra and Lexi. Andrea is rated as high as 4, but mostly around 20. She's been an outstanding 3-point shooter since 7th grade. She has good size for a guard, and her game is expanding. Lexi has decent size and a sweet stroke. She's improving at a rapid pace and may be better than her 20-ish ranking by the time she graduates. The majority of the 2017 kids have not announced yet. Adding Megatron to these 2 makes for a powerhouse class. Megan is still in play. ND is all over her, but she's friends with Lexi and Crystal. She clearly has Olympic potential; why not play for the Olympic coach? Thermal be other possibilities for 2017. I expect announcements in April and May. Most will announce over the next 6-7 months. I hope we get Megan and one more.

2018: Geno is going after many in the top 5, including Williams, whom he has seen several times, Collier, and DaCosta. Any of those would be a starter and likely star. A class with 2 of them would be stellar. He MAY be interested in Scott-Grayson too, who is supposed to be awesome. The outlook is good, though, of course, there are no guarantees.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I like your trust and belief in the incoming class. Yet, by their rating (which does not show heart or what Geno magic does) they are not comparable to 2012. Uconn needs for Butler to become a Steff, Collier to become a Tuck, Katie Lou to become a 5/8th Stew, Dangerfield to become 1/2 Moriah and the rest of the newbies to hit the floor running. Chong and Ekmark are Chong and Ekmark I see no changes there. oh yes Gabby must be Gabby but better. Weak isn't ever good to put to a Uconn class or team but some realities exist. What is certain ND, Baylor, Tenn, USC, Stanford and a dozen others are thrilled with what Uconn will look like next year.
Next year, I see the "normal" UConn powerhouse, not a historic one. I'm looking for a Final Four and 0-3 losses, especially if Morgan returns. IF we get Megatron in 2017 and at least one of the studs in 2018, I really, really like our chances of extending the dynasty.

Reaction Score
Think you're giving Reimer way too much credit. She's not around now and they look very dangerous with a young roster.

Right about Reimer. But remember that quality players + an exceptional coach (Muffet) augers well for ND. As several have pointed out, UConn also has that same combo: quality players + Geno. Next year reminds me of 2012: we've got a #1 (Lou) and the top guard coming out of HS. We have a 6'2" forward (Irwin) to add to the mix. Not exactly Bre, Mo, and Morgan, but not completely dissimilar. Best of all, there are the players who aren't graduating, especially Kia, Gabby, and Napheesa. I think Coach can slap something together out of all this material. Bring on next year. (Oh, but first let's finish this one.)

Reaction Score
Geno is 62. Recruiting starts in a player's junior year, or six years before their anticipated college graduation. In two years Geno will be recruiting kids that when they have Senior Day Geno would be a month shy of 70. Maybe you guys think he's going to coach until he's 75 or 80, I don't know, but I'd bet against it.
Coaching, with being on the road a lot sounds great unless your have traveled for business a lot. At some point in the next 3 or so years ==Geno with his millions stacked away will get messages from his aging family saying : Take it down a notch or two. Maybe coach emeritus with Shea (I wouldn't accept that If I was Shea). Smart people don't wait to be carried off the field on their shield. How old was Geno father when he died? His mother has longevity genes. And one never knows which gene has the shorter timetable listed in you..

Reaction Score
Next year, I see the "normal" UConn powerhouse, not a historic one. I'm looking for a Final Four and 0-3 losses, especially if Morgan returns. IF we get Megatron in 2017 and at least one of the studs in 2018, I really, really like our chances of extending the dynasty.
I don't know the schedule for next year, but I suspect (if the newbies are not super stars) 3 losses is on the low side and the final 4 with or with out Tuck is high expectations. I believe even Geno knows Tuck will not return next year--what would she gain if she stays --what will she lose by not going out this year (this year she's most likely a 3 or 4 Wnba draft choice) where would she go next year?

Reaction Score
No one knows whether there is a shred of truth in this (he may want to coach into his 70s, esp. with his outstanding staff around him and fantastic resources), but, to be sure, other coaches are saying this about him.
When Geno decides to retire I hope he announces it in April and leaves in June.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know the schedule for next year, but I suspect (if the newbies are not super stars) 3 losses is on the low side and the final 4 with or with out Tuck is high expectations. I believe even Geno knows Tuck will not return next year--what would she gain if she stays --what will she lose by not going out this year (this year she's most likely a 3 or 4 Wnba draft choice) where would she go next year?
We don't know about Morgan. What would she gain--another year in college, another degree, another year with the best coach around, setting an untouchable record, "mothering" the youngsters on the team, and not having Stewie and Moriah ahead of her in the draft. I think it's about 60-40 that she goes, but she may be back.

Next year's team will be younger and not as deep, but Kia, Gabby, Lou, Napheesa, and Crystal are all elite players. All will improve. We'll see how much the others add, but I look for a nice improvement from Lou, Kia, and Gabby, and a big step from Napheesa. I think Crystal will be very good. All 5 of them have All-American potential. It's not as if many teams were close to beating us this year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
2016: Crystal is a surefire star. She may not be as successful as Moriah, but I think she'll be close. She was the top recruit in her class under 6'3". Kyla and Molly are really unknowns. I think both can be solid role players. Both are smart and well coached, and they play hard. Kyla may need to get stronger or trimmer, but she can hit the three, dribble well with both hands, and do a bunch of good things. Molly is tenacious, quick, and versatile. I would have liked Cox, McCoy, and/or Boley, but I think it's a pretty good class.

2017: Andra and Lexi. Andrea is rated as high as 4, but mostly around 20. She's been an outstanding 3-point shooter since 7th grade. She has good size for a guard, and her game is expanding. Lexi has decent size and a sweet stroke. She's improving at a rapid pace and may be better than her 20-ish ranking by the time she graduates. The majority of the 2017 kids have not announced yet. Adding Megatron to these 2 makes for a powerhouse class. Megan is still in play. ND is all over her, but she's friends with Lexi and Crystal. She clearly has Olympic potential; why not play for the Olympic coach? Thermal be other possibilities for 2017. I expect announcements in April and May. Most will announce over the next 6-7 months. I hope we get Megan and one more.

2018: Geno is going after many in the top 5, including Williams, whom he has seen several times, Collier, and DaCosta. Any of those would be a starter and likely star. A class with 2 of them would be stellar. He MAY be interested in Scott-Grayson too, who is supposed to be awesome. The outlook is good, though, of course, there are no guarantees.

You are seeing they way I do. My take (very short version):

2016 - best PG in class + 2 high-character role players
2017 - 2 highly rated wings (that I expect to rise in the rankings) already and it's only April. Most of the top players remain uncommitted.

No need to worry at all about recruiting. Yes, a big class is needed in '17 to remain on top of the mountain but UConn is well on their way to compiling one (whether it includes Walker or not).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You are seeing they way I do. My take (very short version):

2016 - best PG in class + 2 high-character role players
2017 - 2 highly rated wings (that I expect to rise in the rankings) already and it's only April. Most of the top players remain uncommitted.

No need to worry at all about recruiting. Yes, a big class is needed in '17 to remain on top of the mountain but UConn is well on their way to compiling one (whether it includes Walker or not).
Yeah, the talent margin shrinks or maybe disappears, though maybe only temporarily. But the coaching and intensity remain. I think we need a real stud in 2017 or 2018 to increase our chances. We'll see. Maybe we get more than one.

Certainly, we have gotten a ton of publicity this year. Some kids may not want to work that hard, and some want to start a new dynasty. But others want the UConn experience.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Why are we worried about Geno's age? How much older is he than Muffet? Tara? Can't just look at Geno and age and not ask the same about Notre Dame and Stanford?

Reaction Score
IMO KLS is MUCH more than "complementary player", and is - or at least will be - a "stand-alone talent like the Big 3" (probably exceeding Tuck, if I had to guess). I won't argue about KML, as she was much less multidimensional than KLS will be.
No insult intended about KLS. My reference was to the other "Big Three"; Taurasi, Moore, and Stewart. Eight of the ten NC's have been won while one of the three was standing on the court. KLS will be a star, like many other former Husky stars, but D, Maya, and Stewie have been game changers, NPOY's and the dominant force in WCBB while they played.

Maybe next year KLS morphs into Stewie II, but we shouldn't expect that; we should be happy with whatever player it is that she becomes. Maybe next year's team will become a new prototype for a Uconn National Champ. Me and the rest of this looney crowd will love that. Maybe we don't need the next Maya, but of course it wouldn't hurt to find one.

Reaction Score
I really hope Tuck takes her 5th year. The regionals are again in Bridgeport and I'd hate to have a team that might not be good enough to take advantage of that like in 2006.

I do think Chong, Collier, and especially Gabby Williams could really blossom next year with more PT. But Tuck would really soften the transition from the end of Breanna/Moriah.

Reaction Score
No insult intended about KLS. My reference was to the other "Big Three"; Taurasi, Moore, and Stewart. Eight of the ten NC's have been won while one of the three was standing on the court. KLS will be a star, like many other former Husky stars, but D, Maya, and Stewie have been game changers, NPOY's and the dominant force in WCBB while they played.

Maybe next year KLS morphs into Stewie II, but we shouldn't expect that; we should be happy with whatever player it is that she becomes. Maybe next year's team will become a new prototype for a Uconn National Champ. Me and the rest of this looney crowd will love that. Maybe we don't need the next Maya, but of course it wouldn't hurt to find one.
Ahhh - sorry, I thought you meant "this year's" big three.

I agree nobody wins NCs without bona fide AAs, and usually a superstar. KLS may turn into that. Usually those rare ones are "best in the country" clear superstars by their sophomore year. We will know about KLS soon (possibly VERY soon)

Reaction Score
Geno is 62. Recruiting starts in a player's junior year, or six years before their anticipated college graduation. In two years Geno will be recruiting kids that when they have Senior Day Geno would be a month shy of 70. Maybe you guys think he's going to coach until he's 75 or 80, I don't know, but I'd bet against it.
No spitting match 21 but you make 62 sound ancient :(. You may have missed the bulletin proclaiming 62 to be the new 52. :D No biggie but take into consideration Geno will be winding up his National Team responsibilities in the near future. That and he has a staff along with a program that can run on auto pilot as he simply only has to tweak / reinforce the assistants oversight of the team, this only making his job easier as time goes on. Yes he is aging as we all do but to predict the end of the line at this point is silly. You can bet against him coaching until he is 75 or 80 (which is quite a span from 62) but I would bet he still has a few good recruiting years to go. :)

Reaction Score

The next Maya, or at least the closest to Maya, is Walker. Build, skills, athletic ability are all Maya like. She is a game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom