Is Evina’s Waiver Request Tied to Prince’s? | The Boneyard

Is Evina’s Waiver Request Tied to Prince’s?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While we don’t always know the justification for a waiver request, and that certainly adds to our confusion relative to whether or not a waiver is granted or not, an article recently published in the Oregonian, with an interview of Sedona Prince, pretty clearly outlines her stated reasons for the waiver.

Prince’s basic argument is that she didn’t feel “safe” with the medical staff at TX, particularly after her 2nd surgery in NY this past spring. Prince maintains that the TX medical staff and trainers basically left her on her own for visits to the doctor, rehab, etc. She went on to say that she felt alone during the process, only accompanied at times by her mother. This is a somewhat unique argument, not necessarily claiming malpractice, but simply indifference.

As I read the article on Prince, I could only wonder if the NCAA views the Prince situation in the same light as Evina’s. While no one has publicly stated the reasons behind Evina’s waiver request, there has certainly been speculation that it involves issues surrounding her knee injury, possibly playing on it when she shouldn’t and mistreatment by the LV medical staff.

The difference is that Prince appeared to be under the care of an outside physician, at least after the 2nd surgery, while Evina appears to have been dealing directly with the LV medical staff. From the NCAA’s perspective, I don’t know if that is a distinction without a difference.

There is one other difference between the two players. Kelly Graves has indicated that Prince is still limited in practice. He hopes to have her fully available for the start of conference play in January. As far as I know, Evina could play tomorrow if the NCAA granted her waiver.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
While we don’t always know the justification for a waiver request, and that certainly adds to our confusion relative to whether or not a waiver is granted or not, an article recently published in the Oregonian, with an interview of Sedona Prince, pretty clearly outlines her stated reasons for the waiver.

Prince’s basic argument is that she didn’t feel “safe” with the medical staff at TX, particularly after her 2nd surgery in NY this past spring. Prince maintains that the TX medical staff and trainers basically left her on her own for visits to the doctor, rehab, etc. She went on to say that she felt alone during the process, only accompanied at times by her mother. This is a somewhat unique argument, not necessarily claiming malpractice, but simply indifference.

As I read the article on Prince, I could only wonder if the NCAA views the Prince situation in the same light as Evina’s. While no one has publicly stated the reasons behind Evina’s waiver request, there has certainly been speculation that it involves issues surrounding her knee injury, possibly playing on it when she shouldn’t and mistreatment by the LV medical staff.

The difference is that Prince appeared to be under the care of an outside physician, at least after the 2nd surgery, while Evina appears to have been dealing directly with the LV medical staff. From the NCAA’s perspective, I don’t know if that is a distinction without a difference.

There is one other difference between the two players. Kelly Graves has indicated that Prince is still limited in practice. He hopes to have her fully available for the start of conference play in January. As far as I know, Evina could play tomorrow if the NCAA granted her waiver.

Interesting. In Prince's case there is also the issue of the (potential) damage to her kidneys, due, apparently, to a failure to monitor carefully enough the effects of the antibiotics she was taking. Whether that involved a personal doctor or team doctors isn't clear to me, but it's certainly something to be concerned about. In general, her medical treatment for what is clearly a very serious injury--from Mexico on through her time at Texas--seems to me to have been a mess.

Reaction Score

As always, interesting and informative posting.
Strange. It is not uncommon for adult kids (18 and older) usually only need accompaniment on the first visit if mobile. New york can be intimidating for the uninitiated.
I'm not sure one relates to the other other than both had injuries and both request waivers.
In any case Evina is really needed immediately by Uconn still I question, by Geno's words, whether she is now game ready.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Do any of the more knowledgable BYers know of any numbers/percentages of transfer appeals that have been granted? Based on how there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind this whole transfer process, I am guessing that granted appeals are few and far between.
And seeing how we are UConn, well...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Do any of the more knowledgable BYers know of any numbers/percentages of transfer appeals that have been granted? Based on how there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind this whole transfer process, I am guessing that granted appeals are few and far between.
And seeing how we are UConn, well...
The mysterious Raoul has a count of 18 waivers granted and 3 denied — but those 3 don't include Evina's case (maybe because it is reportedly under appeal?).

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
The mysterious Raoul has a count of 18 waivers granted and 3 denied — but those 3 don't include Evina's case (maybe because it is reportedly under appeal?).

But I think the question asked was how many transfer APPEALS have been approved? e.g. Waivers that have initially been denied and then a resultant appeal of that decision overturn the original waiver denial.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But I think the question asked was how many transfer APPEALS have been approved? e.g. Waivers that have initially been denied and then a resultant appeal of that decision overtrun the original waiver denial.
Ah yes. Well, I'm gonna venture a guess that no one in our midst has reliable counts of the appeal outcomes, partly because I believe some denials are appealed without having been made public knowledge in the first place.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Ah yes. Well, I'm gonna venture a guess that no one in our midst has reliable counts of the appeal outcomes, partly because I believe some denials are appealed without having been made public knowledge in the first place.
I think you are correct but wouldn't it be interesting to know the stats on this. I think the percentage is very low...but that's just gut guessing.

Reaction Score
There is a major difference between Prince and Westbrook. Prince sat out all of last season due to injury. And as has been stated she will probably miss the first half of the season. If they do not grant her this season, It would mean she loses two years in a row. Generally, you get 5 years to play four. Well if they do not let her play this season it removes another complete year so even if she uses her grad 5th season she will only end up with five to play 3. If there is any justice she deserves to be given that waiver. Of course, with either William Munny or the NCAA deserves have nothing to do with it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is a major difference between Prince and Westbrook. Prince sat out all of last season due to injury. And as has been stated she will probably miss the first half of the season. If they do not grant her this season, It would mean she loses two years in a row. Generally, you get 5 years to play four. Well if they do not let her play this season it removes another complete year so even if she uses her grad 5th season she will only end up with five to play 3. If there is any justice she deserves to be given that waiver. Of course, with either William Munny or the NCAA deserves have nothing to do with it.
The NCAA can grant a 6th year for a medical redshirt, so Prince will certainly get the opportunity to play 4 years of college basketball if she wants to.

Reaction Score
this would be fun data for me to make students crunch for extra credit or time fillers or whatever if someone wants to feed data my way or even clues as to which players to have students research outcomes of by year, etc.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thanks Old Dude and Coco for your reply's but more importantly today thank you both (and all of our other Boneyard veterans) for your service to our Country.
Bonpland, I agree completely with your sentiments to Coco and all the BY veterans, but while my father served in the Marines during WWII, I never served in uniform. Thanks anyways for your kind thoughts.

Reaction Score
Oldude,
My father, a Marine, served in the South Pacific in WWII and you must have mentioned that elsewhere here on the Board. That (and age) must account for my confusion. I thought that we were in the Army at about the same time ('69-'72). In this then case let's both remember those two Marines tomorrow and the sacrifices that they made for us and their Country.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude,
My father, a Marine, served in the South Pacific in WWII and you must have mentioned that elsewhere here on the Board. That (and age) must account for my confusion. I thought that we were in the Army at about the same time ('69-'72). In this then case let's both remember those two Marines tomorrow and the sacrifices that they made for us and their Country.
Where did your father serve? My dad served on Midway, Okinawa & Ie Shima.

Reaction Score
Oldude,

My father was stationed on Guam and then Wake Island attached to a B-25 unit. From there they flew missions over Japan and the Philippines. We probably grew up hearing similar stories about life in the Marines; not stories of the war itself. There was little mention of the grim realities of death and dying. He left that behind and just concentrated on raising his family. His brothers and friends talked admiringly of him and the time he spent in the Marines but he never dwelt on what the war was really like for him. He just looked forward.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude,

My father was stationed on Guam and then Wake Island attached to a B-25 unit. From there they flew missions over Japan and the Philippines. We probably grew up hearing similar stories about life in the Marines; not stories of the war itself. There was little mention of the grim realities of death and dying. He left that behind and just concentrated on raising his family. His brothers and friends talked admiringly of him and the time he spent in the Marines but he never dwelt on what the war was really like for him. He just looked forward.
Yes, dad never talked much about the war. Like your dad, he came back home, got married and raised a family. During the war he was a mechanic working to keep Major Red Parks fighter squadron up in the air during the battle of Midway. At Okinawa & Ie Shima dad worked mostly on Vaught F4U Corsairs.

Reaction Score
Justice is not a word I'd use with the NCAA mostly Justice means different things to different people. The NC decision to NC was just. To many not so much. As one who see's few greys in a black and white world I understood the NCAA decision but I didn't like it. Will I like the EVINA final decision or understand it??

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
While no one has publicly stated the reasons behind Evina’s waiver request, there has certainly been speculation that it involves issues surrounding her knee injury, possibly playing on it when she shouldn’t and mistreatment by the LV medical staff.

Seems like alot of speculation without facts here. Why throw things like this out here? I'm not sure about Evina's situation, but I find it hard to believe the TN medical staff would mistreat any of the players. The medical staff is top notch...to the point that LV WNBA players return to TN when ever they have medical issues, including Kara Lawson.

I recall when Diamond was there, it was the medical staff that would shut her down and limit her playing when dealing with her leg issue. It is also a known fact that the Lady Vol coaches refuse to get involved in medical decisions (as it should be). No player is allowed to set foot on the court unless the medical staff says it's OK. The coaches won't even implore the medical staff to hurry things along.

Like I stated, I do not know the intimate details with Westbrook's injury.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Seems like alot of speculation without facts here. Why throw things like this out here? I'm not sure about Evina's situation, but I find it hard to believe the TN medical staff would mistreat any of the players. The medical staff is top notch...to the point that LV WNBA players return to TN when ever they have medical issues, including Kara Lawson.

I recall when Diamond was there, it was the medical staff that would shut her down and limit her playing when dealing with her leg issue. It is also a known fact that the Lady Vol coaches refuse to get involved in medical decisions (as it should be). No player is allowed to set foot on the court unless the medical staff says it's OK. The coaches won't even implore the medical staff to hurry things along.

Like I stated, I do not know the intimate details with Westbrook's injury.
I’m shocked, shocked to find there’s speculation going on in the BY. If it wasn’t for speculation, forums like the BY, VolNation and McGraw’s Bench would never exist.

As to Westbrook’s justification for a waiver request, you are absolutely correct that we don’t know the intimate details. What we do know is that Evina played hurt at times and she required surgery once she got to UConn.

I’m sure the TN medical staff is very good, just like the TX medical staff or the UConn medical staff. The problem as I see it is the delicate issue for injured athletes to continue to play injured or shut it down. This tends to be a collaborative decision potentially involving the player, their family, the coaches and the medical staff. From my experience with these situations, the player is almost always the strongest advocate to continue to play.

Just in the past few years both Lou and Crystal played injured at UConn, electing to have surgery after the season ended. At the same time Mikayla was shut down during her freshman season when it was discovered that she had the potentially life threatening condition of DVT.

So if Evina’s waiver request is related to her medical condition, the challenge for the NCAA is to determine if the TN medical staff should have shut her down, implemented a different course of treatment or handled it exactly the way they did. That is certainly the same question regarding Sedona Prince’s waiver request, although that case is further complicated by the fact that Prince, probably with her family’s guidance, sought treatment outside of the TX medical staff.

Reaction Score
I really thought the major issue should have been based on the coaching change that was made which should have allowed for immediate play just like they gave to ND for Shepard I think was her name, If the transfer request was compounded with medical issues so be it. NCAA does not have a good consistent track record on this issue at all.

Reaction Score
The NCAA can grant a 6th year for a medical redshirt, so Prince will certainly get the opportunity to play 4 years of college basketball if she wants to.
But she will have to spend 6 years in college to do so. That along with having to apply for another waiver. If she has any thought of playing professional ball she would lose one year of that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom