Is ESPN Trying Too Hard? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is ESPN Trying Too Hard?

Reaction Score
My problem with ESPN is they sometimes act as if they are God's gift to the sporting world, and the only opinion that counts. Have they enhanced the lives of sports fans everywhere? Yes, but in particular with women's basketball recruiting and Charlie Creme's brackets they are given far more significance than their ability deserves.

When a top recruit signs somewhere, most of the media says she was ranked whatever ESPN says, and completely ignores the other rating services. In my opinion Prospect Nation, Blue Star, and ASGR are not just a little better, but far better than ESPN, but because of the ESPN brand and reach their rating is almost always the one quoted as if it was the most accurate, which is sad.

If you compare ratings and one seems way out of line, more often than not it is ESPN that is late to change a rating on a rising talent. They make no attempt to at least ballpark ratings for the best foreign players (a fault of the others as well) and they carry inaccurate information on their listings for long periods before correcting it. Carolyn Ducharme was 5-10 for example for at least a year on their site.

As for Charlie and his brackets, it seems like he and ESPN think the NCAA should just bow to his greatness and accept his brackets as the truth the light and the way. Once again they have succeeded in being the most quoted source on this subject. People everywhere are saying this team is in or out based on one man's opinion, which is no better than most of the posters on the Boneyard. Personally I disagree with Charlie and his brackets not some of the time but most of the time. Do I think the AP Poll, Coaches Poll, and quantitative ratings like Massey and Her Hoops Stats are all better sources than Charlie for creating the tournament brackets? Absolutely!

ESPN does many things well. With their brand and marketing reach, anyone they try to promote as an authority in a fringe sport for them (like women's basketball) will be considered an expert whether the quality of their work deserves it or not. At least in those two categories IMO the quality of the work does not justify the significance they are given because of their market dominance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Announcers babbling while the game is going on. Who committed the foul?, who's ball is it?, what happened to the shot clock?
I always find that a tacit statement that the announcers don’t believe that the game is interesting.

Reaction Score
This year you have to be cognizant that the broadcasters aren’t in the arena. They sometimes don’t necessarily know who a foul was on either until it shows up on their stats feed. They can’t see referee hands or the scoreboard or listen to the PA announcer.
Very true! Which is why they should focus more on the game & not be talking on top of each other with rambling stories.

Reaction Score
So some of you want Women's Basketball to get more viewership, respect, etc. but don't like "how" ESPN does it. They do this type of stuff for men's basketball all the time. Yes, ESPN is taking more of a charge so for right now we're stuck mostly with what they do, but I'd rather the biggest sports network in the world be giving some media attention, even if it's not all perfect. I don't think the NCAA Tournament is the only "bubble" being lived in.

Reaction Score
Even if UCONN isn’t in on the FF or final game I’ll tune in. But wonder who will do the color and play-by-play. Seems as if over time we lost Mike Patrick, then Doris Burke/Mr. Red Sox Dave O-Brien, then eventually the Adam Amin, Lawson and Rebecca Lobo team and now a virtual smorgasboard of duos, none of which stand out to me. Beth Mowins isn’t the best but she’s at least dedicated to the sport. Pam Ward? Please, I’ll go to church and pray for no Debbie Antonella or Carolyn Peck!!

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Does anyone know who is calling the
UCONN - Iowa game?

Reaction Score
Thanks for the response. I was hoping to get some opinions about the two players.
Firstly, I don't care if the ESPN dubious list was just for college or not. I don't think you separate it in basketball. For example, Pete Maravich's (a BY fav) injury-laden/bad team laden pro career, is always going to taint his overall standing. Bill Walton did enough in the pros including his epic title with Portland to still be at least top-ten college players ever if not higher.
Moore's overall career vs Holdsclaw's, I would argue isn't even close.
Not only did I see Holdsclaw play, but I have lived most of my life in the D.C. area, coincidently the location of her first WNBA team. She had decent numbers as a pro, but she never impacted the game in the WNBA like a superstar does, like Moore does. In Washington, everyone was waiting for the expected shaking of the earth, but what we got was a fine player, but not the phenomenon. I'm thinking of NBA comparisons- not Danny Manning?, Christian Laettner? She was top-notch, not a force of nature like Maya Moore.
I ask you, and I've mentioned it in other posts, (documentary- Women of Troy) did you see Cheryl Miller, 14 years Holdsclaw's senior?
If she wore 23, even though her pro career lasted a minute, that's another story!

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
This year you have to be cognizant that the broadcasters aren’t in the arena. They sometimes don’t necessarily know who a foul was on either until it shows up on their stats feed. They can’t see referee hands or the scoreboard or listen to the PA announcer.
Agree.....and I suspect we'll see a lot more of this in future seasons because broadcasting from "home" is a lot cheaper than paying for airfare, hotels, meals, etc. What's everything all about? Money, of course, and the networks are saving a bunch of it with the current system.

Reaction Score
Agree.....and I suspect we'll see a lot more of this in future seasons because broadcasting from "home" is a lot cheaper than paying for airfare, hotels, meals, etc. What's everything all about? Money, of course, and the networks are saving a bunch of it with the current system.
And announcers announcing from studios or couches just happened with WCBB? Baseball last summer?, NBA and WNBA bubble?, WCBB and MCBB regular seasons?(oops cross off WCBB)
BTW one of my favorite sports nights used to be "Players Only" NBA broadcasts. 3-4 ex-players called the games basically from a studio sitting on puffy chairs and couches. Even with their banter and hoots, they actually knew when to inform the audience and when to have fun. Can't believe they don't have it anymore. Covid?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I agree the play by play announcer should stay on task at least until the game is well out of reach but still get in the important things like who fouled, personnel changes etc. The color commentator is doing their job. It should fill the voids not take over. These people are told what to do by their bosses depending on who is playing. They aren't concerned about us. We will watch anyway. They are trying to offer information that might create more fans and keep eyes on the TV. We should be happy they are trying to do that. I'm just hoping that Lobo's shot after a great segment on sports center didn't ruffle the feathers so much they go back to ignoring the women. As best as I remember he said something nice to he about her coverage and she responded with "And thank you for finally giving the women the coverage they deserve". I know that quote is a bit off but the jist was there.
? ?When I read your post I thought you were living in my head. It makes sense, start with a marque match up try and build from there. If first timers enjoy the UCONN game they may watch more games and spread the word.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I guess I'll only be watching the UConn - Iowa and NC State - Indiana games, With Ruocco, Lobo and Rowe. There is no way in heck I'll be watching with Mowens, Antonelli, Robinson, and Rowe in the Baylor - Michigan and Texas A&M - Arizona games. You wouldn't know the score if it wasn't posted, with Mowens, Antonelli and Robinson talking about everything EXCEPT what's happening on the court.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
And announcers announcing from studios or couches just happened with WCBB? Baseball last summer?, NBA and WNBA bubble?, WCBB and MCBB regular seasons?(oops cross off WCBB)
BTW one of my favorite sports nights used to be "Players Only" NBA broadcasts. 3-4 ex-players called the games basically from a studio sitting on puffy chairs and couches. Even with their banter and hoots, they actually knew when to inform the audience and when to have fun. Can't believe they don't have it anymore. Covid?
I know home announcing for WCBB is not the only sport where this happens. What I'm saying is I think a lot of this will continue even after the pandemic is no longer a "problem."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom