Is Connecticut high school football improving? | The Boneyard

Is Connecticut high school football improving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Love to see a graph that shows where CT high school football is trending. How many kids out of CT high schools receive D-1 scholarships over years past? Is it more? Less? Is it skill positions more than linemen and if so why?

Reaction Score
The reason why I asked the question is UConn desperately needs to bulk up both it's lines and I counted only 4 lineman(Basilica 288lbs, Marinan 271lbs, Murphy 266lbs, Ormsby 248lbs) were in state kids out of the 25 CT guys on the current roster. Last year there were 5. As of today you have just 1 lineman recruited for next year that is from CT(Kent school). On ESPN's top 300 recruits list there are currently zero(0) from CT.

So that begs the question, why aren't there more/any lineman coming out of CT with big time football school scholarships?

Reaction Score
Yeah seriously. Stop it. Stop caring about CT. Get the blue chippers when you can from CT and go out of state. Your next coach should be all about getting second to third level NJ and PA players, maybe FL as well. Probably still better than first level CT players the majority of the time.

The idea that CT high school coaches are so powerful that they would keep their kids from going to UConn if the coach isn't exactly the person they want is insane. If the team starts doing well kids will want to go there. Simple as that.

Reaction Score
Yeah seriously. Stop it. Stop caring about CT. Get the blue chippers when you can from CT and go out of state. Your next coach should be all about getting second to third level NJ and PA players, maybe FL as well. Probably still better than first level CT players the majority of the time.

The idea that CT high school coaches are so powerful that they would keep their kids from going to UConn if the coach isn't exactly the person they want is insane. If the team starts doing well kids will want to go there. Simple as that.

You have absolutely no clue. You don't know what you are talking about.

Reaction Score
The reason why I asked the question is UConn desperately needs to bulk up both it's lines and I counted only 4 lineman(Basilica 288lbs, Marinan 271lbs, Murphy 266lbs, Ormsby 248lbs) were in state kids out of the 25 CT guys on the current roster. Last year there were 5. As of today you have just 1 lineman recruited for next year that is from CT(Kent school). On ESPN's top 300 recruits list there are currently zero(0) from CT.

So that begs the question, why aren't there more/any lineman coming out of CT with big time football school scholarships?

There have been OL in the NFL from Conn. like John Moffitt, Donald Thomas, John Sullivan, Bruce Campbell, Jamey Richard, Vlad Ducasse, etc.

These are kids just off the top of my head. There may be more in the league right now. I know there have been OL in the past like Ethan Brooks, the Widells, Tom Condon, etc.

The main point though is that kids fill into their bodies. It's not uncommon for a 245 pound TE to become a 285 pound LT. Kids like Hicks and Zach Hurd showed up at UConn not weighing what they ended up weighing. You can't go by weight. If anything, you have to really try to get a sense for why a kid is a 300 pounder in high school. Is he out of shape?

Reaction Score
There have been OL in the NFL from Conn. like John Moffitt, Donald Thomas, John Sullivan, Bruce Campbell, Jamey Richard, Vlad Ducasse, etc.

A real whos whos among NFL lineman...As far as a 300 lb high schooler out of shape??? Why would a college coach be looking at such a project? About the only 2 playersworth a flip would be Romanowski and Freeney.Connecticut is far from a talent developing hot bed.

I know for a fact pre Calhoun when Fairfield County was nationally known as a basketball powerhouse there was no rapport between those coaches and UCONN,players wouldnt even invest the time to play for the coaches, now things have changed.

Reaction Score

A real whos whos among NFL lineman...As far as a 300 lb high schooler out of shape??? Why would a college coach be looking at such a project? About the only 2 playersworth a flip would be Romanowski and Freeney.Connecticut is far from a talent developing hot bed.

I know for a fact pre Calhoun when Fairfield County was nationally known as a basketball powerhouse there was no rapport between those coaches and UCONN,players wouldnt even invest the time to play for the coaches, now things have changed.

Are you being sarcastic about the who's who? Those are good NFL lineman. Richard is a practice squad guy, Campbell is young and injured, but the other 4 are all established starters earnings millions. You have a Pro Bowler on that list.

When you couple that with the really good lineman from the state that UConn has developed like Thomas, Hicks, Ryan and Hurd, you know that it is possible to build outstanding OLs with UConn talent alone. Probable? No. Possible? It's already been done.

Reaction Score
First off DuCasse lived in the state about 4 years,,,and you have less that 100 starts in your so group,..Remember quantity doesnt equal quality ,obviously with your rating system and the 300lb statement you are out of your element talking football.

Reaction Score
First off DuCasse lived in the state about 4 years,,,and you have less that 100 starts in your so group,..Remember quantity doesnt equal quality ,obviously with your rating system and the 300lb statement you are out of your element talking football.

He played his high school football in Connecticut. What a bizarre statement by you. Ridiculous.

Sullivan is an All-Pro. Moffitt has been starting for ages. Donald Thomas just went on IR after landing a big contract. Ducasse mandhandled Vince Wilfork last week. All these guys are good lineman, to say the least. And none of them had the athleticism of Bruce Campbell, who had the highest scores at the combine for a lineman in years. He's been injury plagued and hasn't live up to the promise yet.

What team do you root for anyway?It's clear you are ignorant of Conn. football.

Reaction Score
Bruce Campbell 0 zero starts...Moffitt 15 carrer starts hardly ages,,,You have no facts just opinion..Its crystal clear you are totally ignorant of the game of football period. Lets get back to the topic Ct high school football ,how many games have you watched past 2-3 seasons?

Reaction Score
I thyink there have been plenty D-1 talent in CT along the lines just in the recent past. Could UConn survive just on Ct athletes? No but the cupboard waqs certainly not bare. Others not mentioned above, Matt Shaunassey (sp?) NFA/Wisconsin/Raiders/now Cardinals, Trevardo Williams Bridgeport Central/UConn/Texans and of course Erik K from Ansonia whose issues were not playing related

Reaction Score
I thyink there have been plenty D-1 talent in CT along the lines just in the recent past. Could UConn survive just on Ct athletes? No but the cupboard waqs certainly not bare. Others not mentioned above, Matt Shaunassey (sp?) NFA/Wisconsin/Raiders/now Cardinals, Trevardo Williams Bridgeport Central/UConn/Texans and of course Erik K from Ansonia whose issues were not playing related

I was only mentioning OL

Reaction Score
US1-25_original.jpg

Reaction Score
Bruce Campbell 0 zero starts...Moffitt 15 carrer starts hardly ages,,,You have no facts just opinion..Its crystal clear you are totally ignorant of the game of football period. Lets get back to the topic Ct high school football ,how many games have you watched past 2-3 seasons?

You're a newcomer here trolling. You haven't seen the extensive lists of kids. We did this just last week. Of 41 two star Connecticut players in the last 5 years, 11 made it to the NFL, which is higher than the national average of 5 stars making it to the NFL, and well well well above the 2% national average for 2 stars. Once again, you are out of your depth and know very little about the level of talent in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Might be nice to have some facts once in awhile,sorry you cant Stop your way out of every silly statement you make.Most of the players you mentioned played for other schools in college as well. The state as a whole is subpar in developing talent in football and even worse in retaining it

Reaction Score
Still waiting for your answer as to how many games you have watched since you are an expert. Trolling is a new term for calling someone on their Stop?

Reaction Score
How can I educate you? What do you need to know?

He's a BB poster and he's asking you if you coach high school football? I guess he doesn't read the BB forum, he just posts and refreshes to see if anyone read his post.

Reaction Score
OH OK the original post mentioned guys that were OL and DL

Thanks, missed that. Yes, you're right, there are a few good DL from Conn. in the league, like Shaughnessy, Trevardo, Dwight Freeney, I believe Antajj hawthorne was a first rounder, but he busted in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Still waiting for your answer as to how many games you have watched since you are an expert. Trolling is a new term for calling someone on their bull ?

Maybe 60 or 70, maybe more. Played in'em too. What's your expertise? (I'm guessing next to zero).

The facts don't lie.

Try to refute one fact here, just one.

Reaction Score
What a buffoon,you havent seen any games have you? And Moffitt starting for ages means 15 games, and Trevardo is camp fodder,,Enough of wasting my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom