OT: - Is Carmelo Anthony The Most OVERRATED Star In NBA History? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Is Carmelo Anthony The Most OVERRATED Star In NBA History?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He's an old 35 YO for the NBA and comparatively lazy on the defensive end.

He was only at 'Cuse for a year and it might be anecdotal but most Orange players seem to come out of Western NY on the soft side, defensively.
He's from Baltimore.
Edit: My bad, Cuse geographically out of W. NY.

Reaction Score
He's an old 35 YO for the NBA and comparatively lazy on the defensive end.
Well I mean maybe in the past he saved energy for the offensive end; but now, at his age, having never kept himself in great shape, I don’t think it’s an effort issue anymore. He’s just a liability now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He was much better than a “good” NBA. He resurrected a dead Den franchise. They were absolutely terrible the year before he got there. THe next year bring them to the playoffs and should’ve been ROY. He made the playoffs every year of his career until he got to the Knicks dysfunctional organization(I’m a knicks fan). Carmelo suffered from bad career decisions and some bad luck. If he was drafted by Det he probably has multiple rings and is seen much different. But he was a plus rebounder and a top 3 scorer of his generation. He’s incredibly underrated now. The NBA changed under his feet. But in his era of iso ball who was better at doing that besides Kobe? Melo in the 2009 WCF was elite. That Denver team beats any team that would’ve came out the East that year and definitely that Magic team. LeBron(who I’m not saying isn’t better than Melo) feasted on a weak East. Melo didn’t have the luxury. His team was NEVER favored in the west because of the great teams out west(Lakers, Spurs, Dallas, Phx) hence the lack of playoff success. Not absolving Melo who made some very questionable decisions and was incredibly stubborn when it came to changing his game. But the man was a great player in his prime

Wow so Melo wasn’t MJ. Great argument. And sure forget the Phil part... MJ was doing a great job elevating his team before Phill showed up lol

You get paid what you’ve earned. Nobody had to pay him what he “commanded”. He averaged about 25 in Denver, and not much less in NY. I don’t care to look up how much he “commanded” but that is an elite scorer who deserves to make elite money. His career PER, despite his struggles of late, is still above 20, good for top 75 all time.

now stop making me pseudo-defend a Cuse mercenary

He was a very good scorer, I would never call him elite or top-3 of his generation. Not when he overlaps with Kobe, LeBron, KD, Iverson and several others (I'm clipping the top 10 scorers from each season he played in the next post).

No would I ever call him an above average rebounder. He had one season of 8.1 rebounds and otherwise was 6-7 rebounds every season.

1578772951677.png

Reaction Score
He was much better than a “good” NBA. He resurrected a dead Den franchise. They were absolutely terrible the year before he got there. THe next year bring them to the playoffs and should’ve been ROY. He made the playoffs every year of his career until he got to the Knicks dysfunctional organization(I’m a knicks fan). Carmelo suffered from bad career decisions and some bad luck. If he was drafted by Det he probably has multiple rings and is seen much different. But he was a plus rebounder and a top 3 scorer of his generation. He’s incredibly underrated now. The NBA changed under his feet. But in his era of iso ball who was better at doing that besides Kobe? Melo in the 2009 WCF was elite. That Denver team beats any team that would’ve came out the East that year and definitely that Magic team. LeBron(who I’m not saying isn’t better than Melo) feasted on a weak East. Melo didn’t have the luxury. His team was NEVER favored in the west because of the great teams out west(Lakers, Spurs, Dallas, Phx) hence the lack of playoff success. Not absolving Melo who made some very questionable decisions and was incredibly stubborn when it came to changing his game. But the man was a great player in his prime
I can agree with this. Putting aside the Cuse-hate for a minute, Melo was a great playr for a number of years, and realizing he couldn't win in that rough Western Conference, decided he'd trust Dolan and come back to his hometown NYC Knicks. It was a Catch22 though because in coming back for the $$, the Knicks were completely gutted & an over-the-hill Phil Jackson as GM only added to the dysfunction.
But Melo has all the stats for a first-ballot HOF. And winning that NC at the Tundra was a miracle in itself. Besides, Kemba wore that #15 as a tribute cause Melo was his favorite player. So that's worth a little something, right?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Trying to get a points per game rather than total points per season because not everyone played same number of games.

1578773683756.png

Reaction Score
He was a very good scorer, I would never call him elite or top-3 of his generation. Not when he overlaps with Kobe, LeBron, KD, Iverson and several others (I'm clipping the top 10 scorers from each season he played in the next post).

No would I ever call him an above average rebounder. He had one season of 8.1 rebounds and otherwise was 6-7 rebounds every season.

View attachment 49857

Iverson isn’t his generation. And Melo was absolutely a better isolation player than LeBron is his prime. Kobe and KD are the other 2 in the top 3. What was Melos weakness in scoring the ball? He didn’t have one

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Iverson isn’t his generation. And Melo was absolutely a better isolation player than LeBron is his prime. Kobe and KD are the other 2 in the top 3. What was Melos weakness in scoring the ball? He didn’t have one

Interesting. Iverson won a scoring title and averaged over 26 ppg each of Melo's first five seasons.

Humor me. Define Melo's "generation".

Reaction Score

View attachment 49857

Let’s not forget the question at hand:

Is Melo the most overrated star of all time

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Let’s not forget the question at hand:

Is Melo the most overrated star of all time

He"s in the discussion.

Who are your top 5 most overrated NBA players of all-time.

Reaction Score
I’d put Melo in a dead heat with Tracy McGrady. And Anthony Davis will join them in another 7-8 years.

Reaction Score
The best players elevate the performance of their own teammates, Anthony had the opposite effect. The answer to the OP's question is YES but Kyrie is a threatening to overtake him.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
FWIW he’s about equal to bosh in vorp and is third in his draft class. One that is absolutely loaded.

Reaction Score
Interesting. Iverson won a scoring title and averaged over 26 ppg each of Melo's first five seasons.

Humor me. Define Melo's "generation".
I guess I’d have to add iverson in hindsight since I added Kobe. But I consider them the generation before Melo. The same way LeBron and Giannis are 2 separate generations of NBA players imo. As an iso scorer id still have Melo top 3 in his time.

But to more answer your question LeBron, wade, bosh, Melo, Arenas, DRose, Tony Parker, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Dwight, Amare, etc

Reaction Score
Carmelo gets shat on more than any good player in the last twenty years. How can he be overrated when everyone destroys the guy every time his name gets brought up?

Seriously, who on earth still thinks Melo was some superstar? The guy is a meme at this point.

Reaction Score
Carmelo gets shat on more than any good player in the last twenty years. How can he be overrated when everyone destroys the guy every time his name gets brought up?

Seriously, who on earth still thinks Melo was some superstar? The guy is a meme at this point.
It’s the LeBron effect. He was never appreciated for the player he was because he couldn’t escape LeBron’s shadow. Everything he does is compared to LeBron or KD. Two arguably top 10 all time players

Reaction Score
Nah, being Melo happened to him. He wasn't about winning, more like everything but. He gave himself away when he put the kibosh on Linsanity.
Jeremy Lin ended Linsanity. He wasn’t that good. I never seen a guy get so much credit for a 10 game stretch

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The first Isiah Thomas is very overrated. He was a very good guard that liked the spotlight. He wasn't even the best guard in his own backcourt.

C

Chief00

He was overrated relative to the salary he commanded and the performance he gave for the salary. He handicapped every franchise because they couldn't afford to get enough other high quality players.
If you are MJ and you can make Hodges, Kerr and Paxton relevant, that's fine. Carmelo never figured how to use teammates' abilities to improve a team.
Good analysis.

C

Chief00

I kind of like LeBron in isolation, because if all else failed, he could simply overpower you.

Reaction Score
I don’t even know how to rate him. Sure he was a terrific scorer but his playoff record is abysmal.

Reaction Score
I don’t even know how to rate him. Sure he was a terrific scorer but his playoff record is abysmal.
Very true. Look at who he was losing to though. It puts thinigs into perspective. He was going up against all-time great teams with JR Smith and Kenyon Martin

Reaction Score
The first Isiah Thomas is very overrated. He was a very good guard that liked the spotlight. He wasn't even the best guard in his own backcourt.
lol, keep 'em coming.

Reaction Score
Also re-signing with the Knicks was a pretty dumb basketball move. I don’t think that did much for his “brand”. He just turned into a joke instead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom