Is anyone getting nervous? We haven't got any transfers yet and Noah Locke has committed to Louisville | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is anyone getting nervous? We haven't got any transfers yet and Noah Locke has committed to Louisville

Reaction Score
I’ll grant you we might be a better team next season. I think we are just parsing words.

I was solely disputing the “I’d take Diggins, Hawkins and Johnson over Bouknight” and “that’s a recipe for improvement”.

I think our recruiting class is awesome. But they’re freshmen. I stand by the idea we could have some serious offensive struggles next season if the roster remains as currently constructed. Would love to be proven wrong, and that the likes of Gaffney, Sanogo, Jackson take big leaps to overcome that. I love our defensive potential. I LOVE our front court.

I just don’t love our offense/individual scoring ability.
Your 1st sentence was my entire point, that I think we'll be a better team next year.

And if you're going to quote me, at least quote what I actually said. Leaving out the word tradeoff from my quote changes the entire meaning. Obviously Bouknight is the best player of the group, I just think increasing the depth we have will make up for losing Bouknight

Reaction Score
I’ll grant you we might be a better team next season. I think we are just parsing words.

I was solely disputing the “I’d take Diggins, Hawkins and Johnson over Bouknight” and “that’s a recipe for improvement”.

I think our recruiting class is awesome. But they’re freshmen. I stand by the idea we could have some serious offensive struggles next season if the roster remains as currently constructed. Would love to be proven wrong, and that the likes of Gaffney, Sanogo, Jackson take big leaps to overcome that. I love our defensive potential. I LOVE our front court.

I just don’t love our offense/individual scoring ability. I think we will feel the void of Bouknight towards the beginning of the season. Or maybe Gaffney comes out with a senior-Shabazz-year. I don’t know, I’m just going off the level of the players I watched this past season.

I do agree with you that we can't run the team's offense in '21-22 like we have a lottery pick who can almost always manufacture a shot when needed.

This is probably the biggest wildcard that determines how good we can be next year: Can Hurley & Co advance/modify our offensive mindset to maximize the potential of a ton of "good" and "very good" offensive players that we can throw at you with fresh legs for a full 40 minutes???

I'd love to see them:
-Push uptempo play more
-Bring in a new assistant with some good creative offensive mindsets and allow that assistant to contribute to advancing offensive gameplan

Excited to see what happens!

Reaction Score
This year without Bouknight, we will need to rely on transfers if we want to make an NCAA tournament run. However, we haven't signed any transfers yet. Are any of you getting nervous about this?
No

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Your 1st sentence was my entire point, that I think we'll be a better team next year.

And if you're going to quote me, at least quote what I actually said. Leaving out the word tradeoff from my quote changes the entire meaning. Obviously Bouknight is the best player of the group, I just think increasing the depth we have will make up for losing Bouknight
You said you’d take the tradeoff of that group over Bouknight. That implies to me you would rather have the freshmen class than Bouknight.

I do still disagree that having 3 freshmen for depth makes up for the loss of a ready-made NBA lottery pick that was our leading scorer.

Maybe we are arguing two different points. I think Bouknight gets us closer to a championship next season than the 3 freshmen. But long term I’d rather have the freshmen obviously.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Those 3 players combined as freshmen will not come close to replacing the production of Bouknight last season.

We have a gaping hole left by Bouknight no matter how you spin it. It remains to be seen how that offensive production will be replaced.

I have confidence we will be a good team next year with several players taking a leap. But let’s not act like we are better off without Bouknight.
Team will be better without him.

I bet if you bench him during the tournament game we win. Hot take I know.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Bouknight is gone. It is not the end of the world (or UConn basketball). The expected improvement in Adama and Andre and Jalen, the return of a bigger stronger Akok alone make this a better team.

Reaction Score
I do agree with you that we can't run the team's offense in '21-22 like we have a lottery pick who can almost always manufacture a shot when needed.

This is probably the biggest wildcard that determines how good we can be next year: Can Hurley & Co advance/modify our offensive mindset to maximize the potential of a ton of "good" and "very good" offensive players that we can throw at you with fresh legs for a full 40 minutes???

I'd love to see them:
-Push uptempo play more
-Bring in a new assistant with some good creative offensive mindsets and allow that assistant to contribute to advancing offensive gameplan

Excited to see what happens!
Our slow style of play was a major problem and it led to players standing around and watching Bouknight too much in the halfcourt and for whatever reasons James didn't adjust when he came back from injury. Against the 4 best teams we played after he came back Bouknight shot 35% from the field with a combined 6 assists and 15 turnovers.

Reaction Score
Relaxed Basketball Wives GIF by VH1

Reaction Score
You said you’d take the tradeoff of that group over Bouknight. That implies to me you would rather have the freshmen class than Bouknight.

I do still disagree that having 3 freshmen for depth makes up for the loss of a ready-made NBA lottery pick that was our leading scorer.

Maybe we are arguing two different points. I think Bouknight gets us closer to a championship next season than the 3 freshmen. But long term I’d rather have the freshmen obviously.
I think we're just parsing words at this point. I expect us to be a better team next season and make the Sweet 16 at a minimum, despite losing Bouknight, that's all I meant.

Replacing your best player is just the nature of college basketball. 2 years ago it was gonna be tough to replace Adams, then Vital stepped up. Last year it was gonna be tough to replace Vital, then Bouknight stepped up (predictably). Now this offseason it'll be tough to replace Bouknight, and it will, but someone like Jackson or Hawkins will step up.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Not even in the slightest. It's college basketball. Worse things going on in the world today. I'd be more nervous about the people around us who use to present as normal, but now are coming out as complete lunatics!

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I’m not nervous if we don’t get a transfer. I am nervous about Akok being healthy and a quality player, Jackson making the leap he should make, polley being able to move his feet, and coaches figuring out our spacing issues with frontcourt. I’m hopeful on all of these issues though
Lotta hope. This is good.

Reaction Score

So last year's team that laid a giant egg offensively against a very average Maryland team would just get a year older/better and be a contender for championship? Could be, but I doubt it.

Key is neither having Bouknight or the three freshman, both could be solid parts of winning team (with rest of guys).

All about Hurley coaching. Does he get Whaley and Martin to practice/make bunnies and/or pass out on offensive rebounds to restart offense; have Gafney stop playing slow down half court ball while always checking to see what Hurley is screaming from the sidelines; does he get Jackson to learn how to shoot, make the easy pass and not foul; does he have an answer when opponents post up Cole; can he get Polley to be a scoring threat inside and out (see Deandre Daniels).

Culture is good enough, offensive scheme and individual player offensive weaknesses will be the killer unless improved. Also, stop with the hard hedge and ball pressure way past the 3 point line unless you have VCU type mindset, otherwise it just fosters getting beat off dribble.

Reaction Score
Everybody keeps saying how irreplaceable Bouknight is and while there's no doubt that he's a bonafide lottery pick level player there's also no doubt that that's not who we got back after the injuries down the stretch and the results prove that. The team relied on him way too much and he was unable to deliver and they probably play better the last two games without him. If he played an average ( for him) game we win both. JMHO

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Had this past season's team had a healthy Bouk and Jackson all year I think this year's team's performance would be better than next year will do.

But,,,,,,,,,because Jackson was injured over the summer and again during the season, and Bouk was obvioulsy injured for the middle of the season, I think next year's team will be better than last year. The 20-21 team never got in to a rhythm and never got to its full potential.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I’m not nervous at all any longer. The only thing that made me nervous was Polley and Whaley deciding on college hoops next year but not for UConn. They stayed and they stayed. Nerves alleviated.

I would’ve understood if they moved on for money. It would’ve hurt if they moved on for college. Hurley is doing something right here.

So no. Opposite of nervous.
More like expectant.

Reaction Score
DH has indicated how he is/was going to assess fits for the last three spots-if at all.His recent quotes suggest he's not a big fan of the current state of CBB transfers/recruiting. Is he right? Don't know.

IW/Tyler Phommachanh filled two of our biggest needs

Coery F and Sool will have a significant impact on potential UConn recruits through their AAU/All Star affiliations.

The future is bright. Lets get AA back on the court at full strength and make some noise next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom