Is anyone else... | The Boneyard

Is anyone else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Really freaking disappointed with the start of this WCBB season. Almost everyone looks absolutely dreadful. So many people complain about parity in our sport. Well the start of this season has had plenty, unfortunately I don't think it's the kind of parity anyone really wants. Ranked teams losing or coming very close to losing to under-powered yet better coached mid-majors or even complete phantom teams no one has ever heard of. Can someone tell me what is going on here? I've always thought parity had a lot less to do with talent than most people think. There are plenty of talented women's basketball players but I am just not sure there are enough talented WCBB coaches. Atleast not enough that are getting a shot at a DI team.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Ranked teams losing or coming very close to losing to under-powered yet better coached mid-majors or even complete phantom teams no one has ever heard of.
Isn't that basically the definition of parity?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Honestly..... its too early for me to care much about basketball. My NFL team is 10-0 and about to play on Thanksgiving for the first time..... my favorite college team has struggled in the past month... but should still finish with a winning record and head to a bowl...... and my high schoool team is the #1 seed and favored to return to the state championship game in a few weeks.

Reaction Score
Really freaking disappointed with the start of this WCBB season. Almost everyone looks absolutely dreadful...
Good points, but we shouldn't forget, one year ago after the Stanford game, we were they. Beware, for look how that turned out!

Reaction Score
Not only NCAAW, NCAAM and NCAAF also has several upset or surprise.
Just now #5 Duke barely survived from Georgetown 86 - 84.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A couple of points:

-If Uconn plays like they did last week, I shan't give a hoot how anyone else plays and it won't matter to any outcome. (I understand I'm not being totally responsive to the thread).

-Louisville and Notre Dame are not as strong personnel-wise as they have been in the past (and Western Kentucky is not bad), North Carolina is denuded

- Tennessee, well nothing much changes there...lot of Big Macs, the beef not in sight.

- South Carolina seems not to have found their footing yet (according to Dawn)....let's see how great a coach she really is.

Who else, Baylor, Maryland, Texas Florida State...yawn.

So lots of the names we used to be concerned about seem somewhat less well endowed.

The season will depend on whether Geno can keep the team's edge for the next four months. In her post-game interview
Mo spoke to that point. It'll be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Really freaking disappointed with the start of this WCBB season. Almost everyone looks absolutely dreadful. So many people complain about parity in our sport. Well the start of this season has had plenty, unfortunately I don't think it's the kind of parity anyone really wants. Ranked teams losing or coming very close to losing to under-powered yet better coached mid-majors or even complete phantom teams no one has ever heard of. Can someone tell me what is going on here? I've always thought parity had a lot less to do with talent than most people think. There are plenty of talented women's basketball players but I am just not sure there are enough talented WCBB coaches. Atleast not enough that are getting a shot at a DI team.

I couldn't disagree more! I think the beginning of this season has been great. I would much rather watch close upset games than 30 pt blowouts by highly favored teams. If this isn't parity then I don't know what is.

Reaction Score

NUY: Here's one who isn't disappointed/. One of the main reasons I am so fascinated by Our Girls is that I love watching to pursuit of perfection. and it doesn't bore me at all when we win big. I'm happy when we cream the other team, just so we play well. (Also, keeps my blood pressure down.) And, when Coach doesn't shrink his bench, I love to see how our other players are developing. Sure, a close game is fun (when we win), but I don't need to many of 'em to make my season......and keep me alive

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
South Carolina just struggled to a win against am (almost) unranked team.. UCLA got 6 and 19 votes in the various polls; still well outside the top-25

Parity, Nah: the so-called top teams are flawed...very...except for one, I've heard a bit about.

Reaction Score
Isn't that basically the definition of parity?

I think all of the parity here is from #2 and up. This can be viewed as the general ordinariness of the top ranked teams OR as the rest of wcbb catching up. Either way, I don't believe it will affect UConn. As Geno has said: "We're in a league of our own." The rest may sink back to parity, but the Huskies move ahead to perfection.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Parity is going nowhere in WBB- not while kids tend to play all four years and have program-changing ability.

I'm looking forward to an 11th NC and live games against ND in Gampel and UMD at MSG, both within the next month. Also eagerly anticipate k-state Monday. I'm not disappointed with anything at all.

Reaction Score
South Carolina just struggled to a win against am (almost) unranked team.. UCLA got 6 and 19 votes in the various polls; still well outside the top-25

I was surprised UCLA was not ranked coming into the season. Last year, the team was viewed as talented, but young. This year the Bruins are a bit more experienced and coming off a WNIT championship. It would not be the first time that a WNIT championship team went on to bigger things the next season.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Good points, but we shouldn't forget, one year ago after the Stanford game, we were they. Beware, for look how that turned out!
At a glance it seems you have made a point but when you look deeper you realize it is not the same. I am okay with losing to a NC caliber coach like Tara, in their house, by 2 in OT. Especially when that team literally played their best game of the year against us. Stanford deserved to win that game. When you think about it we played pretty bad defensively and only shot 40% and they had to take us to OT to beat us and they shot almost 50% I believe. That is NOWHERE NEAR the box scores I've seen this week. 30% shooting, 20 TO, 20 fouls. I don't even want to mention the eye test. This is from teams in the top 5. I just expect better. November is pretty ugly to me at this point.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I probably should clarify as it seems some either misread or misunderstood my post... I am all for parity. If it makes the sport (WCBB) look good. My point was that the games themselves aren't being played at a high level. If they were I would have no complaints. These ugly games don't do much for me is all.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Every time I watch another team struggle I looked forward to watching UCONN play much more. Al long as UCONN continues to play at this level there will be no parity or more precisely UCONN will not be a part of it. This will not last forever so I am going to enjoy it and make copies of the game tape to remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom