Is anyone else concerned with....... | The Boneyard

Is anyone else concerned with.......

Reaction Score
Azura Stevens? Clearly Azura is very talented, but boneyarders were touting her as a can't miss all american. People on this very site were saying she was a lock starter, was going to dominate WCBB. You got the impression she may just be able to walk on water!! Is anyone else a bit disappointed in her minutes, production, contribution thus far? Again, clearly Azura is talented, can do so many things on the court(mostly on the offensive end) and IMHO was the main reason we won against ND at home earlier this year..

Concerned? Surprised?

Reaction Score
Obviously you're a half empty kind of person.
She has made some significant contributions playing with limited minutes. Some of that is the amazing improvement in CD's game. Some of it is AZ learning to play in a new system and trying to do more than just be a shooter.
If she was meeting your expectations then you'd be worrying about her only staying one year. I believe she will return next year and at the end of that season will be a beast and a top five pick probably with KLS & Pheesa.
Chill!
Bronx 23

Reaction Score
Azura Stevens? Clearly Azura is very talented, but boneyarders were touting her as a can't miss all american. People on this very site were saying she was a lock starter, was going to dominate WCBB. You got the impression she may just be able to walk on water!! Is anyone else a bit disappointed in her minutes, production, contribution thus far? Again, clearly Azura is talented, can do so many things on the court(mostly on the offensive end) and IMHO was the main reason we won against ND at home earlier this year..

Concerned? Surprised?
Nope. It does not bother me when players fall short of Boneyarders' unrealistic (or under-informed) expectations.

Reaction Score
Had she not picked up those quick fouls she may have been out there longer. There's no denying her offense but she does get burned on defense at times and you see how fast (not so much last night or Z but in general) the points add up on weak defense. Just like anyone else it will take her some time to become better defensively. I like her I like her attitude and she will only get better :cool:

Reaction Score

Concerned? Surprised?
I am mildly disappointed, but I think she will be all that we hoped her to be next year. What has caused us to pause, I think, is her inability to convert her outside shots. Yesterday, for example, she passed up several mid-range shots after she had "clanked" her early attempt at a three. You could see SC players give her space and try to double up on the other UCONN players. She makes some decent defensive plays and is working fearlessly under the hoop for rebounds. He uniqueness, however, rests in a combination of size ( length ), athleticism and shooting ability. He size is, clearly, not that of a " banger." She will be throttled by the "bigs" of Baylor, Miss. St. and A'jai Wilson. A quick hip check, and she is moved about ten feet. But if she can hit outside shots, then those " bigs" have to come out and cover, which opens everything up for UCONN. So far, she is not a threat and that is causing all of us to question what she might become. I think she is also taking a personal blow to her confidence. And you can't hit shots if you aren't confident.

I would also like to pose this same question about Meg Walker. We have seen flashes of the kind of potential that " the top HS recruit" should demonstrate. But not the same kind of flashes we saw with Maya, Katy Lou, MKL and others. I thought Meg played a very tentative game yesterday, and she was given plenty of court time. I think she got two quick "phantom " fouls called on her ( the announcers were never very good reporting them ), and that is why she sat down pretty early. Her shots, even when wide open, were way off. We had all hoped that this " big game" might be a break out opportunity. A chance to continue a solid string of games, which build trust from Geno and her teammates. In what I saw, this did not happen. Not even close. Has Geno commented? He may have been pleased for reasons I did not see.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Had she not picked up those quick fouls she may have been out there longer. There's no denying her offense but she does get burned on defense at times and you see how fast (not so much last night or Z but in general) the points add up on weak defense. Just like anyone else it will take her some time to become better defensively. I like her I like her attitude and she will only get better :cool:

That's the ticket. Give her the time to realize herself that her game is a little one dimensional at this point. Her competitiveness will kick in and she will buy into the defensive lessons that Geno and CD are teaching. When that happens watch out- you will see a full on basketball beast.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is it possible for this board to enjoy a big win for 24 hours before finding something to be worried about? Just asking.
ummm-let-me-think-um-no.jpg

Reaction Score
I doubt half of the Z and Megan's fouls last night are not valid.
There was one Lou not even touched the ball but the ref ruled the ball belonged to South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Is it possible for this board to enjoy a big win for 24 hours before finding something to be worried about? Just asking.
The answer is no, but I think I understand why. We have become Geno, after listening to him so much. We don't focus on beating the defending champs, in their house, by 25 points. Rather, we assess who did what well and who did what poorly. Winning is nice but, in a way, secondary. Geno is like an artist, sculpting this team, for one purpose; to win the NCAA championship. To do that, some elements of the sculpture have to be re-done, rebuilt, criticized, modified and improved.

So we ( I ) do the same. I don't like the shot of Coombs ( sort of a two handed....almost underhand... flick at the basket ), because I don't think her eyes line up with the basket and the ball. I think it will never go in ( so far, it hasn't). So I comment on it. I want her to be a star. She can't be a star if her outside shot never has a chance. I want Meg walker to become Maya Moore. Okay, I'll take Meg Walker being Meg Walker. But she isn't there yet. So I comment. Geno has made us impatient and greedy.

You are right. We should be thrilled with yesterday's win. And, largely, we are. But Geno complains when things aren't as good as they should/could be, and we have learned from him.

It is all his fault. But at least I understand now, why we do it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't beat Notre Dame or Texas without Azura Stevens. But sure, she got some quick fouls last night and that was that. It happens.

Maybe she'll leave for the WNBA and fans here can be disappointed with her play in the WNBA. I hope she does.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I don't think that is a good read of @JustinesGuy . He's merely upholding a great tradition of Husky Fans A/K/A Spoilt Husky Fans! We, like Geno, are always pushing and many, me included, thought Z would start this year and that did not happen. Z will get what she came for; to be a much more complete player. But we won't see all she can be until next year. She's a very talented 6th instrument in a world class 5 instrument ensemble right now. If we tailored the offense to her she'd average in the 30s a night, but last night would not have happened as it did, though we'd still win.

Z, by any definition, was not doing it last night, but I agree with you about where Z is headed. In the words of Jackie Gleason : "To the moon, Alice!"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That call on Lou was garbage. Couldn't they have reviewed it?

If it was football Geno could have thrown the flag - he did everything else! Yeah, it was a bad call in a night the wasn't the greatest. The worst call on Lou was the phantom foul when she played singularly great D on an SC player and I swear the whistle was blown because the ref was thinking : Nobody can guard anybody the close, that tight without fouling!

While I'm on the subject of Lou's defense: There were other times last night when her court awareness and movement had her shutting down 2 SC offensive players at once; something, I hasten to add, could only happen because of the total commitment to D that everyone was giving last night.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I can't speak to Azura's defense or last night's performance.

However, she is leading UConn in points/4o, rebounds/40, and rebounding percentage. She has the 2nd best turnover percentage.

On paper at least, she has been very effective in the minute she has played.

Reaction Score

Concerned? Surprised?

I admit it. Now I don't announce AA's nor did I tout Z as a potential candidate. I often stated that she is the one player Uconn needs to make it to number 11. I strongly still believe she is a necessary cog in Geno's wheel going forward. I also stated she and Collier were foul prone against real bigs. ,
This U South Carolina game gave me pause to rethink Azura. She has been up against Aj'a as a Dukie, if memory is correct she lost that game by a last second layin by Aj'a.
Her defense against that South team was missing some elements. Her shooting wasn't good. A lot was asked of her to be dumped into a game COLD and expected to perform immediately---a whole new role for her--she has mostly played loads of clean up; as a comparison--Walker in the similar situation, a frosh, did no better. As I said to Oldude: I expect starting today Azura will be getting intense training on everything needed to be a better defensive post and more practice in pressured offense.

Reaction Score

Concerned? Surprised?

It's hard to be concerned with a player that is leading the team in pts, rbs, blks, and fg % per minute played. She is simply just not getting the same minutes as the starters.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't beat Notre Dame or Texas without Azura Stevens. But sure, she got some quick fouls last night and that was that. It happens.

Maybe she'll leave for the WNBA and fans here can be disappointed with her play in the WNBA. I hope she does.

I would have given you a like for your comment except for your last sentence. I hope she stays, I like her. We need her!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Concerned? Surprised?

She can't be doing too bad. She's a top 10 finalist for the Lisa Leslie Award. Every team in Division 1 would love to have her on their roster.

STEVENS LANDS IN TOP-10 FOR LISA LESLIE AWARD - the annual award in its inaugural year recognizes the top centers in women’s NCAA Division I college basketball.

SPRINGFIELD. Mass. – Junior forward Azura Stevens of the top-ranked University of Connecticut women’s basketball team was tabbed a Top-10 candidate for the 2018 Lisa Leslie Award, as announced by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on Friday afternoon.

Named after the three-time All-American, 1994 National Player of the Year and a 2015 inductee of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, the annual award in its inaugural year recognizes the top centers in women’s NCAA Division I college basketball.

In her first year as a Husky, Stevens has established herself as a key component in UConn’s success. The forward is boasting 14.2 points per game and is leading the squad in double-doubles with six. Her 7.7 boards per game and 40 total blocks rank second among the team. Stevens has appeared in all 21 games this season and has worked her way into the starting rotation on five occasions.

Stevens is joined by Kalani Brown (Baylor), Megan Gustafson (Iowa), Hallie Thome (Michigan), Teaira McCowan (Mississippi State), Kaylee Jensen (Oklahoma State), Marie Gulich (Oregon State), A’ja Wilson (South Carolina), Mercedes Russell (Tennessee) and Monique Billings (UCLA). Players can play their way onto and off of the list at any point in the 2017-18 season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
She has made some significant contributions playing with limited minutes. Some of that is the amazing improvement in CD's game. Some of it is AZ learning to play in a new system and trying to do more than just be a shooter.
If she was meeting your expectations then you'd be worrying about her only staying one year. I believe she will return next year and at the end of that season will be a beast and a top five pick probably with KLS & Pheesa.
Chill!
Bronx 23

You misunderstand I'm just fine with her. I was wondering what fellow boneyarders thought now 3/4 thru the season. My post was not intended to be I really critical it was just to see what others thought.

Reaction Score

Yea ---Azura will run away immediately to the Wnba and Europe and 600,000 per annum--why stay at Uconn and read all this crap.
You are right in a few, maybe many, her presence in those games required her to bail out those getting beaten or foul trouble. She did really well.
Certain truths remain: She tends to foul against aggressive bigs. At times her shot further away than 4 ft is missing. To be effective she needs consistency, minimize fouls. She is far from perfect--she's got what Uconn needs and Geno can't teach 6ft 6 inches.... Most of the bigs in top 10 teams may be as effective against Z as A'ja et al were, Geno is working that right now.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
It goes almost unnoticed because the game was such a blowout, but...

Dawn couldn't even work the refs like usual last night, because she was getting nearly every call!! Heck, before the end of the first half the refs seemed to be in "mercy mode" like the umpires in a one-sided Little League game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom