Is any school having the success Loisville has had this year... | The Boneyard

Is any school having the success Loisville has had this year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In sports? Not Texas, not Alabama, not LSU, not even Ohoio State.
The fact that a school from outside the perceived power conferences not only can, but is competing and beating those other schools in numerous sports should be noted by uconn fans.

There is zero reason for anyone to accept Uconns demise competing in the AAC. If you win, good things happen.

Reaction Score
Well, when they won, they were in a power conference. Now, not so much!

Reaction Score
the big east was never considered a power conference by the other BCS schools.

Reaction Score
They are where we were two years ago, with the caveat that they won their bowl game. Perhaps that's a big caveat.

Reaction Score
They are where we were two years ago, with the caveat that they won their bowl game. Perhaps that's a big caveat.

It's fun, but in the scheme of things, it isn't. UConn needs to win one of those, but will it ever get the chance? The point is, a lot of schools have won big bowl games and faded. Utah will always have that win over Alabama--but look at the football team now. Kansas has a BCS victory. Washington. Iowa. TCU. It's a great victory. But bowl season is a weird thing, a largely underwhelming experience for the vast majority. It certainly doesn't fix your school as a winner.

Reaction Score
Utah is 46-18 from the Sugar Bowl year through last season - nothing to sneeze at. They stepped up in class starting two years ago joining the P-12 and there has been a learning curve but, they will be fine. My guess is that the two BCS wins on their resume sure didn't hurt when they were being considered for membership.

Reaction Score
Exactly my point. Conferences don't define a schools success.
The school does.

Reaction Score
The Big East was most certainly a power conference 2005-2012. The AAC will be a power conference for one year, though it may not necessarily deserve to be. It sucks realignment killed it all because that was a very solid league in both sports.

Reaction Score
So was the ivy league... My point was of more recent times. And yes i believe the big east was better than the acc many years, but the league still had a perception issue

Reaction Score
Dudes have sold their souls to the devils... Ville knocks off #2 Vandy for berth in CWS.

Reaction Score
2 final fours, BSC game, and CWS. That is a spectacular year for the athletic department.

Reaction Score
I guess Lville gets bragging rights over Michigan because they beat them in the basketball NCG. But Michigan has won 2 NCs (less popular sports) this academic school year & their W. Volleyball program dismantled a higher seeded Lville in route to the Final Four (W. Volleyball has increasingly become competitive, a lot of D1 programs). Michigan also made it to the CWS (softball).

For them to pull of the Men's Swimming title is pretty damn tough - that sport has leaned towards a handful of programs the past 20 years, albeit those programs cover the Big12, SEC and Pac12, thus not as regionalized as a sport such as lacrosse, which brings me to my next point. Michigan got the shaft from ESPN (aka ESECACCPN) & Captial One's Cup rankings. Apparently M&W Swimming does not measure up to lacrosse despite the fact that this sport has at least 2x the D1 representation.

Ultimately, Michigan blew it & choked against SoCar in their bowl game - the famous Clowney hit overshadowed the fact that Michigan outplayed them much of the second half, & Clowney was outclassed much of the game by the Michigan guard as well. Thus, I'll give Lville the nod in higher profile sports. But I tend to side with Director's Cup rankings. Stanford, Michigan, PSU all have superior overall athletic departments, many others as well. Lville only has 3 NCAA titles, all sports. You guys match them with just your men's basketball titles. History is measured comprehensively & long term.

Reaction Score
I guess Lville gets bragging rights over Michigan because they beat them in the basketball NCG. But Michigan has won 2 NCs (less popular sports) this academic school year & their W. Volleyball program dismantled a higher seeded Lville in route to the Final Four (W. Volleyball has increasingly become competitive, a lot of D1 programs). Michigan also made it to the CWS (softball).

For them to pull of the Men's Swimming title is pretty damn tough - that sport has leaned towards a handful of programs the past 20 years, albeit those programs cover the Big12, SEC and Pac12, thus not as regionalized as a sport such as lacrosse, which brings me to my next point. Michigan got the shaft from ESPN (aka ESECACCPN) & Captial One's Cup rankings. Apparently M&W Swimming does not measure up to lacrosse despite the fact that this sport has at least 2x the D1 representation.

Ultimately, Michigan blew it & choked against SoCar in their bowl game - the famous Clowney hit overshadowed the fact that Michigan outplayed them much of the second half, & Clowney was outclassed much of the game by the Michigan guard as well. Thus, I'll give Lville the nod in higher profile sports. But I tend to side with Director's Cup rankings. Stanford, Michigan, PSU all have superior overall athletic departments, many others as well. Lville only has 3 NCAA titles, all sports. You guys match them with just your men's basketball titles. History is measured comprehensively & long term.

You may well be right about Stanford, etc. having a better overall programs. That however wasn't the premise of the thread. To suggest that swimming or volleyball should even be mentioned in the same breath as FB, BB or baseball, is simply ludicrous. The year that UofL athletics has had in the major sports has been beyond special. If they somehow pull off a CWS title - it would be unparalleled.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You may well be right about Stanford, etc. having a better overall programs. That however wasn't the premise of the thread. To suggest that swimming or volleyball should even be mentioned in the same breath as FB, BB or baseball, is simply ludicrous. The year that UofL athletics has had in the major sports has been beyond special. If they somehow pull off a CWS title - it would be unparalleled.
Just to tweak that point, all the BE championships the Ville loves to talk about include Olympic sports like swimming and volleyball. Congrats on making the series.

Reaction Score
Just to tweak that point, all the BE championships the Ville loves to talk about include Olympic sports like swimming and volleyball. Congrats on making the series.
Thanks, and I agree that sucess in those sports is something to be proud of as well but, they are simply not viewed as equal to the others.

Reaction Score
Thanks, and I agree that sucess in those sports is something to be proud of as well but, they are simply not viewed as equal to the others.

Really? You're buying into a hype argument, not a substantive one. I'm far from a Florida fan, and in case you forgot, as any OSU fan would know, the Gators won the BCS NC, not a BCS bowl game, as well as a NC in Men's Basketball in the same academic year. A football & basketball NC in the same academic year simply prevails over anything Lville can do at this point. No chance in hell Louisville would have beaten Bama in a hypothetical football NCG. The Florida upset had a lot to do with Strong's intimate knowledge of Florida's players since he recruited most of them, as well as Florida's system, which he once coached in. Lville barely escaped a Rutgers team that mostly beat itself. Btw, that 07 Florida basketball team finished off a back to back as well. Fla finished that school year in the top 5 of the Director's Cup. Louisville will not crack the top 10 of this year's Director's Cup.

I'm not disagreeing with the prestige nor cultural value placed in the big sports. But objectively speaking, W. Volleyball & M&W Swimming require phenomenal athleticism, imo the former is incredibly exciting and far more entertaining to watch than live college football and college baseball. Of course, men's college basketball is my favorite, nothing else comes close. Btw, I find football genuinely overrated: 3 second plays followed by 1-3 minute breaks. It should not take 3 hours to play a 60 minute game. If they ever got it down to 2 or 2.5 hours, the sport would actually gain a true global following. Don't misunderstand me here, I do like football & watch it often enough - but the game is designed for tv and Vegas numbers, both which clearly boost its success.

PS I applaud Louisville's accomplishments in this academic year, great for them & their fans.

Reaction Score
Really? You're buying into a hype argument, not a substantive one. I'm far from a Florida fan, and in case you forgot, as any OSU fan would know, the Gators won the BCS NC, not a BCS bowl game, as well as a NC in Men's Basketball in the same academic year. A football & basketball NC in the same academic year simply prevails over anything Lville can do at this point. No chance in hell Louisville would have beaten Bama in a hypothetical football NCG. The Florida upset had a lot to do with Strong's intimate knowledge of Florida's players since he recruited most of them, as well as Florida's system, which he once coached in. Lville barely escaped a Rutgers team that mostly beat itself. Btw, that 07 Florida basketball team finished off a back to back as well. Fla finished that school year in the top 5 of the Director's Cup. Louisville will not crack the top 10 of this year's Director's Cup.

I'm not disagreeing with the prestige nor cultural value placed in the big sports. But objectively speaking, W. Volleyball & M&W Swimming require phenomenal athleticism, imo the former is incredibly exciting and far more entertaining to watch than live college football and college baseball. Of course, men's college basketball is my favorite, nothing else comes close. Btw, I find football genuinely overrated: 3 second plays followed by 1-3 minute breaks. It should not take 3 hours to play a 60 minute game. If they ever got it down to 2 or 2.5 hours, the sport would actually gain a true global following. Don't misunderstand me here, I do like football & watch it often enough - but the game is designed for tv and Vegas numbers, both which clearly boost its success.

PS I applaud Louisville's accomplishments in this academic year, great for them & their fans.

Your statement about Florida seems to contradict your earlier point regarding the value of being sucessful in the "non-revenue" sports. Yes, winning the NC in FB and men's BB is incredibly impressive to be sure however, I think that when you speak to the totality of the accomplishments this year for UofL (still underway and dependent on the CWS) you can make the subjective case for their year being better.

The Strong - Florida connection you're trying to make is a little squishy. Muschamp had been at Florida a couple of years and brought with him from Texas the belief in a power running game etc, which was somewhat of an overall departure from the Meyer years. Recruiting players is one thing but, CS had not coached them or been around the program for three years by that point - that would hardly qualify his knowledge as "intimate". On paper, it doesn't appear that Louisville would have beaten Alabama but then again, they were two touchdown dogs to the gators and ended up utterly dominating them which, is why they play the games on the field.

Two of my kids are USA swimmers - I've spent enough time by the pool deck to know what sort of dedication and athleticism goes into it - so I'm definitely not arguing that point with you with respect to other sports.

Reaction Score
Your statement about Florida seems to contradict your earlier point regarding the value of being sucessful in the "non-revenue" sports. Yes, winning the NC in FB and men's BB is incredibly impressive to be sure however, I think that when you speak to the totality of the accomplishments this year for UofL (still underway and dependent on the CWS) you can make the subjective case for their year being better.

The Strong - Florida connection you're trying to make is a little squishy. Muschamp had been at Florida a couple of years and brought with him from Texas the belief in a power running game etc, which was somewhat of an overall departure from the Meyer years. Recruiting players is one thing but, CS had not coached them or been around the program for three years by that point - that would hardly qualify his knowledge as "intimate". On paper, it doesn't appear that Louisville would have beaten Alabama but then again, they were two touchdown dogs to the gators and ended up utterly dominating them which, is why they play the games on the field.

Two of my kids are USA swimmers - I've spent enough time by the pool deck to know what sort of dedication and athleticism goes into it - so I'm definitely not arguing that point with you with respect to other sports.

You should re-read my posts a little more carefully, and set aside some of your irrationality (not much) at this point. On the other hand, you have some nice thoughts here & I appreciate your responses.

I don't think any sort of contradiction is going on, my part. You said what Lville is doing is "unparalleled". I disagreed, but agree they're having "beyond a special year". If Louisville wins the baseball title, they would merely match, at most, Florida's 2006-2007 season by securing two NC's in the so-called big sports. But football does remain the most popular and culturally symbolic sport of all. It tops baseball, which has clearly had a recent history of uneven development with northern-based baseball teams, to the point that some coaches have called for a separate NC. Good news, this trend is beginning to soften. IU, Stonybrook, Kent State & yes Louisville fall under northern type teams, weather wise, all have made the past two CWS' & KSU-Oregon State are still alive, though they are playing each other. Oregon State also won recent back-to-back NCs. Moreover, I clearly stated Florida finished 5th in the 2006-2007 Director's Cup, all sports, both sexes. Louisville cannot match that accomplishment this calendar year.

Throw in, say, the Capital One Cup, men's side, both Florida and Louisville are still capable of winning this trophy for the school year. Granted, Louisville has more upside at this point. Fla is not alive in the CWS, but they did just secure a NC in Men's Track and Field. UCLA, Indiana, UNC and aTm (also secured a NC in Men's Track and Field - yes there was a tie this year) are still alive for this distinction as well. In fact, IU is in the driver's seat because they are currently ranked slightly higher than Louisville and they took 2 of 3 against the Cardinals in baseball, earlier this year. We shall see. As you said, let the games play. IU and Lville face each other in the first round of the CWS.

Again, I'm not trying to take anything away from Louisville. Btw, Michigan won a Rose Bowl and basketball NC in 1989. I'm sure if we dig around enough, other schools have accomplished similar. Someone posted on a different board recently, that Stanford won something like 5 NCs in a school year at one point, & two of the sports were baseball and track and field. But I'm frankly too lazy to do the research at this point. I know my alma mater, Minnesota, pulled off 3 NCs in a school year not long ago (2002) - Men's Golf, Wrestling, and M. Ice Hockey.

Reaction Score

really wasn't suggesting that no other school has a year like UofL has had this year. My point was to refute the notion that the Big East wasn't competitive, and that in order for schools to compete with the 'Big Boys', they needed to be in one of those leagues (ie Big 10, Big 12, Pac, and SEC)... Fact is, the Big East has always competed and will continue to compete regardless of the name.
schools leaving for an increased piece of the $'s is a different story.

Reaction Score
You should re-read my posts a little more carefully, and set aside some of your irrationality (not much) at this point. On the other hand, you have some nice thoughts here & I appreciate your responses.

I don't think any sort of contradiction is going on, my part. You said what Lville is doing is "unparalleled". I disagreed, but agree they're having "beyond a special year". If Louisville wins the baseball title, they would merely match, at most, Florida's 2006-2007 season by securing two NC's in the so-called big sports. But football does remain the most popular and culturally symbolic sport of all. It tops baseball, which has clearly had a recent history of uneven development with northern-based baseball teams, to the point that some coaches have called for a separate NC. Good news, this trend is beginning to soften. IU, Stonybrook, Kent State & yes Louisville fall under northern type teams, weather wise, all have made the past two CWS' & KSU-Oregon State are still alive, though they are playing each other. Oregon State also won recent back-to-back NCs. Moreover, I clearly stated Florida finished 5th in the 2006-2007 Director's Cup, all sports, both sexes. Louisville cannot match that accomplishment this calendar year.

Throw in, say, the Capital One Cup, men's side, both Florida and Louisville are still capable of winning this trophy for the school year. Granted, Louisville has more upside at this point. Fla is not alive in the CWS, but they did just secure a NC in Men's Track and Field. UCLA, Indiana, UNC and aTm (also secured a NC in Men's Track and Field - yes there was a tie this year) are still alive for this distinction as well. In fact, IU is in the driver's seat because they are currently ranked slightly higher than Louisville and they took 2 of 3 against the Cardinals in baseball, earlier this year. We shall see. As you said, let the games play. IU and Lville face each other in the first round of the CWS.

Again, I'm not trying to take anything away from Louisville. Btw, Michigan won a Rose Bowl and basketball NC in 1989. I'm sure if we dig around enough, other schools have accomplished similar. Someone posted on a different board recently, that Stanford won something like 5 NCs in a school year at one point, & two of the sports were baseball and track and field. But I'm frankly too lazy to do the research at this point. I know my alma mater, Minnesota, pulled off 3 NCs in a school year not long ago (2002) - Men's Golf, Wrestling, and M. Ice Hockey.

LOL - The one constant that I've found - no matter what board I'm on, is someone admonishing someone else - to "re-read my posts more carefully". I'm not trying to be a jerk and, I'm not singling you out, as there's no doubt that I'm just as guilty as anyone else when it comes to "understanding" my own posts the best.

What I said was "The year that UofL athletics has had in the major sports has been beyond special. If they somehow pull off a CWS title - it would be unparalleled." I believe that to be true and again, base that on the success of the so-called major sports - FB, BB, and baseball. Again, a HUGE "if" but, if UofL pulls off the CWS, I think that a NC in BB and baseball, coupled with the Sugar Bowl win over Florida and the women's runner up finish in BB would surpass the Florida double. Reasonable people could certainly disagree about this though.

I agree with many of your points and in particular, that the relative popularity of certain sports can skew the opinion of what a great year is in college athletics. That is why I think you are hearing so much about Louisville and their year and why you haven't heard really anything about some of the programs that you mentioned - because the titles that they are winning don't move the needle. Again not saying that for any other reason than that is the reality.

Reaction Score
LOL - The one constant that I've found - no matter what board I'm on, is someone admonishing someone else - to "re-read my posts more carefully". I'm not trying to be a jerk and, I'm not singling you out, as there's no doubt that I'm just as guilty as anyone else when it comes to "understanding" my own posts the best.

What I said was "The year that UofL athletics has had in the major sports has been beyond special. If they somehow pull off a CWS title - it would be unparalleled." I believe that to be true and again, base that on the success of the so-called major sports - FB, BB, and baseball. Again, a HUGE "if" but, if UofL pulls off the CWS, I think that a NC in BB and baseball, coupled with the Sugar Bowl win over Florida and the women's runner up finish in BB would surpass the Florida double. Reasonable people could certainly disagree about this though.

I agree with many of your points and in particular, that the relative popularity of certain sports can skew the opinion of what a great year is in college athletics. That is why I think you are hearing so much about Louisville and their year and why you haven't heard really anything about some of the programs that you mentioned - because the titles that they are winning don't move the needle. Again not saying that for any other reason than that is the reality.

Yes, "reasonable people would disagree" - athletic programs are measured from top to bottom, both sexes. As I've said, Florida finished 5th in the 2006-2007 Director's Cup, which doesn't even factor football. On the other hand, the Capital One Cup or Director's Cup aren't perfect, but they are what they are: entrenched systems of measurement which fans can lean on for debate.

I apologize if you feel I was "admonishing" you. When I say "reread my posts a little more carefully" then followed it with a sentence that expresses respectful praise towards you, I was hopeful my comments were not viewed in the "admonishing" sense. You used "unparalleled" to describe Lville's admirable season, all sports, previous post. I countered that Florida's BCS NC and Director's Cup standing for the 2006-2007 academic year cannot be matched by Louisville, regardless if they win the CWS.

I guess I understand some of your bias here. If you're a UConn fan, Lville is a conference mate. You faced each other plenty this year, beat them for Women's Basketball NC, like Lville the Huskies made it to the baseball tourney (btw, Huskies played pretty well) and you beat them in football, OT thriller - I watched.

Peace and kindness : ).

Reaction Score
Yes, "reasonable people would disagree" - athletic programs are measured from top to bottom, both sexes. As I've said, Florida finished 5th in the 2006-2007 Director's Cup, which doesn't even factor football. On the other hand, the Capital One Cup or Director's Cup aren't perfect, but they are what they are: entrenched systems of measurement which fans can lean on for debate.

I apologize if you feel I was "admonishing" you. When I say "reread my posts a little more carefully" then followed it with a sentence that expresses respectful praise towards you, I was hopeful my comments were not viewed in the "admonishing" sense. You used "unparalleled" to describe Lville's admirable season, all sports, previous post. I countered that Florida's BCS NC and Director's Cup standing for the 2006-2007 academic year cannot be matched by Louisville, regardless if they win the CWS.

I guess I understand some of your bias here. If you're a UConn fan, Lville is a conference mate. You faced each other plenty this year, beat them for Women's Basketball NC, like Lville the Huskies made it to the baseball tourney (btw, Huskies played pretty well) and you beat them in football, OT thriller - I watched.

Peace and kindness : ).

No worries - I wasn't offended - hope you're not either. I'm actually a Louisville fan - if not, I may have been "JimmyC's Ghost" - who stopped in here during the ACC CR mess.

Good talking with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104