Iron Mike Tyson comments on UConn WBB | The Boneyard

Iron Mike Tyson comments on UConn WBB

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, when Mike Tyson said, “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth,” he wasn’t necessarily talking about UConn WBB, but he surely could have been. In 23 of 26 games the Huskies have had a double-digit lead at the end of the 1st quarter, and in 20 of those games, they have extended the lead to 20 points or more. Even though some opponents have closed the gap in the 2nd half, due to more liberal substitution by Geno, or perhaps the Huskies taking their foot off the gas a little, the games are essentially over at the half. Memo to Brenda: Moral victories are still losses.

There were 3 exceptions. In the recent SC game, UConn was up only 8 at the end of the 1st qtr, before extending the lead to 29 at half. Vs ND, against a coach who probably knows UConn better than any other coach in the country, with Gabby suffering migraine headaches and Lou somewhat tentative while coming back from her foot injury, UConn was up 4 after the 1st qtr, but down 7 at the half (No worries). Finally, vs TX, for some reason, Geno came out with a zone defense that the Longhorns senior guards shredded in the 1st qtr for a 3-point lead. After that, UConn went back to their man defense and slowly took control of the game.

Clearly, Iron Mike would love the fact that UConn is coming out at the opening tip throwing haymakers at opponents. While it easy to become mesmerized by UConn’s transition offense, beautiful passing and knockdown 3-pointers, the key to the pounding the Huskies lay on opponents is their ferocious defense. UConn has 4 outstanding defensive players: Gabby, Kia, Lou & Crystal, and despite Geno’s complaints, Pheesa is pretty damned good too.

Opposing teams just cannot simulate UConn’s length, speed and athleticism in practice. At the start of games, UConn speeds teams up, forcing bad shots and turnovers that lead to easy transition baskets. Some of the better teams try fight back in the 2nd half, while others simply throw in the towel. It doesn’t really matter. The game’s outcome is no longer in doubt.

So what does this all mean going forward. Well, UConn likely storms through the regionals to their 11th straight FF. While many BY’ers contend that last year’s loss to MS St can be attributed to various problems on offense, I have always contended that UConn lost because they did not play “Championship Defense” vs the Bulldogs, allowing MS St to walk the ball up the court and dictate the pace of the game. Should UConn face Baylor, MS ST or any other team in the FF this year, that’s just not going to happen.

UConn will be tenacious on defense. While Baylor & MS ST’s size can be intimidating, neither team has faced any team this season that applies the kind of relentless defensive pressure that UConn does. The Bears and Bulldogs will have a plan for sure, but don’t be surprised if that plan goes out the window after they get punched in the mouth by the Huskies. I’m sure Iron Mike would agree.

Reaction Score
Just as we had beaten MissSt by 60 in the season before last. Apples and oranges as my pappy use to say...
Yes we did beat them by 60 the year before. Of course we needed one of the best basketball players on earth to do that. Once she left the team...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We beat ourselves in that Miss St game last year. As Geno recently confirmed Gabby's "panic" statement with his admission that (my words) the team had mentally checked out on the game and lacked the usual pre-game tension. All credit to Miss St for the win, but that game was a flaming aberration. I've had that placed on my tombstone : "That game was a flaming aberration."

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
MS St beat last year's team. This year's team is an entirely different challenge for the Bulldogs.
And, vice-versa, unfortunately. McCowan has grown into an AA candidate. Vivians continues to be one. Unlike last year's team, MSST is undefeated.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yes we did beat them by 60 the year before. Of course we needed one of the best basketball players on earth to do that. Once she left the team...
I was just making the same analogy as the previous poster had that you shouldn't be compare one team against the previous year's team. MissSt and UConn are both playing different players this year than last and the same players that were on last year's team have either improved or not improved, regressed.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
And, vice-versa, unfortunately. McCowan has grown into an AA candidate. Vivians continues to be one. Unlike last year's team, MSST is undefeated.
I saw parts of yesterday's game and McCowan was not very impressive to me. But maybe it was because of the score, too. She seemed to take plays off. And I do like what Vivians brings to the table.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We beat ourselves in that Miss St game last year. As Geno recently confirmed Gabby's "panic" statement with his admission that (my words) the team had mentally checked out on the game and lacked the usual pre-game tension. All credit to Miss St for the win, but that game was a flaming aberration. I've had that placed on my tombstone : "That game was a flaming aberration."
While I heard those comments, I’m not sure what to make of them. Hindsight is always 20/20. Had Saniya hit the last basket with UConn going on to win, I suspect Geno might have had a different take on his team’s mindset.

Reaction Score
The undefeated thing can go either way. If the Dawgs enter the Final Four without a blemish on their record and face UCONN, it will be interesting to see how they handle the added pressure, expectations, and hype. We have been there before.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Stanford has beaten UConn by a couple points in OT, too. This year the Tree lost by 25.

A team gets its emotional juice from its point guard. I love Saniya, she’s foreve a Husky, but she didn’t have that killer mentality to overcome adversity last year. It’s not fair to expect of her, really, since she’d never been in that situation before. This year’s ND, Texas, ECU, and Louisville games are going to pay off in March - no way Crystal gets jittery since she’s been in games where the team needed to tough out a win. She’s become too mentally tough this season, just what the team needs in a tight game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...Even though some opponents have closed the gap in the 2nd half, due to more liberal substitution by Geno, or perhaps the Huskies taking their foot off the gas a little, the games are essentially over at the half.
I think your phrasing of the above highlighted section is a tad off. Geno has never shown a propensity for liberal substitution. I think your point is that in many of the early to mid-season games, our bench has been abysmal in the 4th quarter when they were put in and the score became closer than the game really was.

The other comment I am not 100% behind is the "taking their foot off the gas a little" comment. The only game that might be attributed to is the Louisville game where Geno may have asked the team to run more clock to limit Asia's touches and keep the score down. That became closer due to some poor shots by Pheesa, Z and some questionable passing. He said as much at half-time and in this week Geno Auriemma show.

I think the issue is more in our seeing the 1st and 3rd Quarter pressure and frankly, our girls get tired due to no substitution. It's tough to keep that kind of pressure up with only 6 playing. In my view Geno should sub sooner in the 1st Qtr with Meg and Z, and then fill in with Camara to get time with some of the first unit, not just sub time.

I don't think I ever have heard nary a word of Geno taking the pressure off, he will put in subs but asks them to give the same effort.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Rock, I also think what is underestimated in our team's resolve, there is no way they will lose to MSU again. They want them and want to prove a point to them. Whether another team is able to present defensive pressure with offensive efficiency is unknown with only Baylor, to me, having that potential. No one else worries me. Now that UConn has seen Shepard with ND, with ND depleted in numbers, I don't view them as a threat and frankly, neither do the ND faithful who do not want to go to Albany.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think your phrasing of the above highlighted section is a tad off. Geno has never shown a propensity for liberal substitution. I think your point is that in many of the early to mid-season games, our bench has been abysmal in the 4th quarter when they were put in and the score became closer than the game really was.

The other comment I am not 100% behind is the "taking their foot off the gas a little" comment. The only game that might be attributed to is the Louisville game where Geno may have asked the team to run more clock to limit Asia's touches and keep the score down. That became closer due to some poor shots by Pheesa, Z and some questionable passing. He said as much at half-time and in this week Geno Auriemma show.

I think the issue is more in our seeing the 1st and 3rd Quarter pressure and frankly, our girls get tired due to no substitution. It's tough to keep that kind of pressure up with only 6 playing. In my view Geno should sub sooner in the 1st Qtr with Meg and Z, and then fill in with Camara to get time with some of the first unit, not just sub time.

I don't think I ever have heard nary a word of Geno taking the pressure off, he will put in subs but asks them to give the same effort.
I generally agree with you on the “foot of the gas” comment, although I would point out that there were games when Geno threw a press in the 1st half that destroyed opposing teams, but took it off in the 2nd.

As far as “liberal substitution” I was generally referring to clearing the bench in the 4th qtr and also resting the walking wounded once the game was in the bag.

Reaction Score
I thought about Tyson after the Louisville game too. Obviously he would win fights in 30 seconds and everyone knew what was going to happen.
It happens in all sports. Coaches try to get their teams to get the first lick in. It's painful to be the recipient. Sometimes it feels good just to know that your team has weathered an early storm and has settled in for a close contest. (I love the strategy of face-guarding Durr with no-help defense by Kia)
I'm still not sure what to make of the Louisville game. Did the Huskies take their foot off the gas or were they "out-of gas"? Was it kind of a perfect storm with them out of the gate, such as great Huskies home crowd, rested team, 0- lifetime coaching record against Huskies, good matchups- Louisville isn't big, which is the one achilles heel of UConn, their best player- Durr- not a matchup problem, etc.
Nothing we can do about it- wish we had more close games. What if we had had a top 20 opponent 2 days later, like in March.
Best basketball conference in CBB history- duh- Men's Big East 1980s,90s. Not sure what this American Conference does for Women's hoops. Interesting how Women's hoops seems to be still in a holding pattern. ACC used to be stronger. Big East. SEC is the thickest conference obviously. Pac 12. Is Women's basketball in HS better now? Sorry for ramblings.

Reaction Score

I think that Geno often deemphasizes transition basketball when the team has the game in hand, and has the players work on half court sets and on using more of the shot clock. Some people refer to this as "taking the pressure off." Whether or not the phrase is apt, the shift in style/tactics does not necessarily mean a drop in intensity.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think that Geno often deemphasizes transition basketball when the team has the game in hand, and has the players work on half court sets and on using more of the shot clock. Some people refer to this as "taking the pressure off." Whether or not the phrase is apt, the shift in style/tactics does not necessarily mean a drop in intensity.
Excellent point. Another thing that Geno will do when UConn is up big, is play some zone defense.

Reaction Score
If iron Mike had been guarding Ms.William when she made that game winning shot,she just might be hearing impaired on one side at this time.

Reaction Score
OK, when Mike Tyson said, “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth,” he wasn’t necessarily talking about UConn WBB, but he surely could have been. In 23 of 26 games the Huskies have had a double-digit lead at the end of the 1st quarter, and in 20 of those games, they have extended the lead to 20 points or more. Even though some opponents have closed the gap in the 2nd half, due to more liberal substitution by Geno, or perhaps the Huskies taking their foot off the gas a little, the games are essentially over at the half. Memo to Brenda: Moral victories are still losses.

There were 3 exceptions. In the recent SC game, UConn was up only 8 at the end of the 1st qtr, before extending the lead to 29 at half. Vs ND, against a coach who probably knows UConn better than any other coach in the country, with Gabby suffering migraine headaches and Lou somewhat tentative while coming back from her foot injury, UConn was up 4 after the 1st qtr, but down 7 at the half (No worries). Finally, vs TX, for some reason, Geno came out with a zone defense that the Longhorns senior guards shredded in the 1st qtr for a 3-point lead. After that, UConn went back to their man defense and slowly took control of the game.

Clearly, Iron Mike would love the fact that UConn is coming out at the opening tip throwing haymakers at opponents. While it easy to become mesmerized by UConn’s transition offense, beautiful passing and knockdown 3-pointers, the key to the pounding the Huskies lay on opponents is their ferocious defense. UConn has 4 outstanding defensive players: Gabby, Kia, Lou & Crystal, and despite Geno’s complaints, Pheesa is pretty damned good too.

Opposing teams just cannot simulate UConn’s length, speed and athleticism in practice. At the start of games, UConn speeds teams up, forcing bad shots and turnovers that lead to easy transition baskets. Some of the better teams try fight back in the 2nd half, while others simply throw in the towel. It doesn’t really matter. The game’s outcome is no longer in doubt.

So what does this all mean going forward. Well, UConn likely storms through the regionals to their 11th straight FF. While many BY’ers contend that last year’s loss to MS St can be attributed to various problems on offense, I have always contended that UConn lost because they did not play “Championship Defense” vs the Bulldogs, allowing MS St to walk the ball up the court and dictate the pace of the game. Should UConn face Baylor, MS ST or any other team in the FF this year, that’s just not going to happen.

UConn will be tenacious on defense. While Baylor & MS ST’s size can be intimidating, neither team has faced any team this season that applies the kind of relentless defensive pressure that UConn does. The Bears and Bulldogs will have a plan for sure, but don’t be surprised if that plan goes out the window after they get punched in the mouth by the Huskies. I’m sure Iron Mike would agree.
Agree 100%. I also believe the only conference that has UCONN-like defensive pressure with great athletes is PAC12, specifically UCLA & USC. These two teams depend heavily upon their defensive pressure. USC in particular, has the best defensive man-to-man pressure I have seen (outside of UCONN). UCLA is very good at full court pressure. It takes great athletes, long & athletic, with a 100% commitment to defense (which creates instant offense from turnovers). Not to say any PAC12 team is going to take down UCONN, but the top 5 PAC12 teams that have played USC & UCLA twice this year, will be battle tested against constant, in your face, defensive pressure.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. I also believe the only conference that has UCONN-like defensive pressure with great athletes is PAC12, specifically UCLA & USC. These two teams depend heavily upon their defensive pressure. USC in particular, has the best defensive man-to-man pressure I have seen (outside of UCONN). UCLA is very good at full court pressure. It takes great athletes, long & athletic, with a 100% commitment to defense (which creates instant offense from turnovers). Not to say any PAC12 team is going to take down UCONN, but the top 5 PAC12 teams that have played USC & UCLA twice this year, will be battle tested against constant, in your face, defensive pressure.
What about the up-tempo style played out west, that plays into UConn's hands? I'm much more afraid of teams backing off of us and slowing the tempo down and physical play. I'm thinking of last year's men's team from South Carolina. Don't care if they're "used to it". We wear out the West. What did Texas do to us?

Reaction Score
When Iron Mike was right and he had Cus in his corner he was amazing. There was nothing better than watching him tear guys apart.

Tyson stayed in a condo complex ( penthouse) in AC before his fights. My family also owns a condo there and we would wait for Tyson to come down lobby and get in his limo for the 6 minute ride to the fight. I was in middle school then. That was always amazing.

Reaction Score
What about the up-tempo style played out west, that plays into UConn's hands? I'm much more afraid of teams backing off of us and slowing the tempo down and physical play. I'm thinking of last year's men's team from South Carolina. Don't care if they're "used to it". We wear out the West. What did Texas do to us?
My point is that the PAC12 Teams are familiar with this type of defensive pressure. Texas' defensive pressure is nothing like USC or UCLA. Stanford & OSU are both solid defensive teams as well, but are most focused on the half court team defense, vs. full court man-to-man pressure. However, Stanford & OSU have now both played 4 games in the PAC12 against this type of intense full court defensive pressure, and have that experience. I don't understand the mention of Texas. They are athletic for sure, but they are not as committed to full court pressure like UCLA & USC.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I saw parts of yesterday's game and McCowan was not very impressive to me. But maybe it was because of the score, too. She seemed to take plays off. And I do like what Vivians brings to the table.
Should UConn and Mississippi State meet, isn't it likely that Vivians will be shadowed by the game's premier perimeter defender, the Soul Snatcher, Kia Nurse? Those introductions have not gone so well for high-powered scorers such as Laksa, Morgan and Atkinson, and that pas de deux may not be enjoyable for Vivians, either.
I agree with many of the previous comments that UConn's relentless and tenacious defense will make the Huskies more difficult to beat, this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom