Iowa's Helping Hands | The Boneyard

Iowa's Helping Hands

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice how many times Iowa players helped UConn players up off the floor? In at least one case the Iowa players ran in to help one of ours up (Aaliyah) like she was their own downed teammate. Recall Caitlan's reaction when Paige drew the offensive foul on her. Don't get me wrong, I love good sportswomanship and I get that Paige and Caitlin are buds. My first thought was "What a great bunch of kids, good on them."

Upon further thinking does this reveal a flawed mindset on Iowa's part? Was it a lack of "edge"? Did they go in with TOO MUCH RESPECT for UConn? When it was over, there was not a great deal of emotion from the Hawkeyes. Sadness, yes, but not the kind of tearful anger a team that expects, and believe it deserves, to win the usually exhibits in these win or go home games. Deep inside did they expect this outcome? Maybe because the whole starting lineup returns next season (this was not a "last chance")?

Again, I love sportswomanship and dislike bullying, unnecessary physicality and excessive trash talk. When an opponent goes down I would just walk away unless there's an extreme circumstance where the player NEEDS assistance or I inadvertently caused a serious/dangerous fall.

Sprinting over to help an opponent up on a routine play? No, my thought pattern would be, "I'm getting beat in the biggest game of my career, I'm pissed and disappointed... she's fine, let her own team help her up."

Reaction Score
I think everyone deals with competition differently. I would not interpret helping an opposing player as "lacking an edge". It is good sportsmanship and for all we know the player was thinking "I knocked you down and now Im going to smile and help you up so I can knock you down again!" ?

Reaction Score
I think that this shows a lack of understanding of mid-western mentality, My mother's side of the family were Nebraskans of Scandinavian descent. Their mother's milk is courtesy, accepting the travails of life, and not ever, EVER, betraying inner emotions. But, they have the fierceness of plainspeople., as the Iowa team displayed in their play.

There are some family pictures of my Jensen and Rounds forebearers in Nebraska in the latte 19th century. All of them, men and women, were lean and mean. In every picture, both the men and women were armed with rifles or pistols, There is one photo of a young woman who apparently wanted to look more ladylike- but one hand was behind her back. It was undoubtedly holding a pistol,

Watch the movie, "Fargo." They haven't changed a whit.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice how many times Iowa players helped UConn players up off the floor? In at least one case the Iowa players ran in to help one of ours up (Aaliyah) like she was their own downed teammate. Recall Caitlan's reaction when Paige drew the offensive foul on her. Don't get me wrong, I love good sportswomanship and I get that Paige and Caitlin are buds. My first thought was "What a great bunch of kids, good on them."

Upon further thinking does this reveal a flawed mindset on Iowa's part? Was it a lack of "edge"? Did they go in with TOO MUCH RESPECT for UConn? When it was over, there was not a great deal of emotion from the Hawkeyes. Sadness, yes, but not the kind of tearful anger a team that expects, and believe it deserves, to win the usually exhibits in these win or go home games. Deep inside did they expect this outcome? Maybe because the whole starting lineup returns next season (this was not a "last chance")?

Again, I love sportswomanship and dislike bullying, unnecessary physicality and excessive trash talk. When an opponent goes down I would just walk away unless there's an extreme circumstance where the player NEEDS assistance or I inadvertently caused a serious/dangerous fall.

Sprinting over to help an opponent up on a routine play? No, my thought pattern would be, "I'm getting beat in the biggest game of my career, I'm pissed and disappointed... she's fine, let her own team help her up."
I did notice this, but I also noticed a number of times when Uconn returned the favor. Maybe Paige is rubbing off on her teammates or Evina got tainted with the southern mentality which is not much different from the midwest.

I think the 'game face' is a lot of hype with not a bunch of reality - watching two boxers at a weigh in, please, they both look ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I think Iowa just has a different mindset then many teams............they were willing to sacrifice a bit of competitive fire by showing respect to an opponent...........whatever works.......

Reaction Score
I did notice this, but I also noticed a number of times when Uconn returned the favor. Maybe Paige is rubbing off on her teammates or Evina got tainted with the southern mentality which is not much different from the midwest.

I think the 'game face' is a lot of hype with not a bunch of reality - watching two boxers at a weigh in, please, they both look ridiculous.
I come from the South.....Midwest mentality is a lot different from the South. Midwest is honest and frank.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Well, the "game face" may often be a bunch of marketing hooey, but once the competition starts some people will bite your ear off or literally kick you when you're down. Even up the chain will get involved. Heck, Red Auerbach used to only let opposing teams have cold water in their locker rooms...and lets not even mention the advantage Boston Garden's parquet floor gave the home team. So seeing the kind of sportsmanship shown by both teams during the Iowa game, seeing Paige and Caitlin enjoying each others company at the end, seeing Geno congratulate Caitlin when the game was over, was all so refreshing.

Reaction Score
People from Iowa have a reputation of being "nice" people. Kiah Stokes dad (Greg, U. Iowa AA, NBA player, and Iowa resident) once said "everyone from Iowa is nice". And it's true, I've been there and also known many people from Iowa, having lived in the central part of the US. While recognizing the difficulty generalizing about people from a region, my experiences are that they're generally people who are honest and genuine, thoughtful (by which I mean well reasoned and not at all shallow), and their opening outreach to everyone is welcoming. It's really noticeable when you just drop in from somewhere else. I understand the point the OP is making, but I wouldn't undersell their competitiveness - look at the history of Iowa wrestling for competitiveness. I kind of enjoyed the helping hands, but there was competitiveness in their play - not in conflict in my view. I actually thought we all could have benefitted over the past year from a little more of the Iowa spirit of human interactions.

Reaction Score
I’d be interested to know if this is a coaching thing for Iowa (I.e. maybe Bluder and staff tell them to help up anyone once play stops)? I’m always a fan of sportsmanship like that. It’s just a game and there’s never a reason you can’t help someone up. I don’t think it takes any competitiveness away from the one doing the helping. I think it shows class and good sportsmanship.

Reaction Score
I think everyone deals with competition differently. I would not interpret helping an opposing player as "lacking an edge". It is good sportsmanship and for all we know the player was thinking "I knocked you down and now Im going to smile and help you up so I can knock you down again!" ?

Reaction Score
I can see where PSCONN would come up with his/her point. Having spent most of my life in Iowa (the rest in Southern California), I would say there definitely is truth to the 'Iowa Nice' label...but that only goes so far. If I had to go to war, the quietly brave and stubborn mindset that exists here would make me want to be in the trenches with fellow Iowans. I will say dirty play would get you run here. I noticed the same thing PSCONN did; IMHO I think most of that probably stems from Bluder's respect for Geno and Caitlin's respect for Paige. Most games vs Big 10 teams, ISU, and Drake would probably result in the, "let them get up themself" approach. If Iowa is playing a non-conference team and it's a clean game what you saw vs the Huskies is probably the norm. In my competitive years I hated losing, but always respected superior talent.

Reaction Score
It's not a popular opinion but I still think that UConn is missing a great opportunity here to set, not just themselves apart but the women's game apart from the boys next door by extending a hand to anyone who goes down.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It's not a popular opinion but I still think that UConn is missing a great opportunity here to set, not just themselves apart but the women's game apart from the boys next door by extending a hand to anyone who goes down.
i've watched a number of the men's games and it's not that uncommon to see a men's opposing player help up the other team player. Many of the players know one another from camps and aau and although they are all striving to win, a lot of them are just nice guys as well. Not helping opposing players up is just not sportsmanlike.

On the other hand, if the play is going on then the team should continue to play - I think that is different on the men's side wher they pause the game.

Reaction Score
I kind of enjoyed the helping hands, but there was competitiveness in their play - not in conflict in my view. I actually thought we all could have benefitted over the past year from a little more of the Iowa spirit of human interactions.
Beautifully said! ??

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sedona Prince always helps up other players too I've noticed. Happens all the time in the W too. I dont think it's a lack of toughness or edge but more just good sportsmanship than anything else. I can recall many times where DT has been playful on the court with opposing players and where Stewart has helped players up too and I dont think anyone would question their competitiveness.

The lack of emotion is more common in games that aren't extremely competitive, and Iowa has everyone returning too so there weren't any seniors. Losing is a lot tougher when it's a close hard fought game you feel you could/should have won, or when it's the last one of your career.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Year’s back it was a UConn norm to help up opposing players.

All that ended when some opposing players thought it would be an ideal opportunity to hurt UConn players,
Yanking a wrist, elbow, shoulder...being unsportsmanlike with the jawing...

I can’t recall the exact instances in games and season that it occurred but believe it was discussed in one of the older CPTV Geno Shows with Meghan Pattyson...

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Aaagh! Hog Wash (as they say in Iowa :D)

Two things are going on here.

1) This is sport and so sportsmanship is that fouling someone (in any sport) is outside the rules. So, we give a helping hand by way of saying sorry. Sort of a "Marquess of Queensberry" way of being in the sporting tradition.

2) As it relates to basketball: by giving that helping hand, it may save any retaliation from being an undercut to just a hard foul.

As an aside: In Soccer the "sorry" was often a pat on the head. We had to stop that as it sometimes resulted in a fistful of hair and...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
You must fancy yourself an acolyte of Diogenes. :D

Reaction Score

I think Paige would help Caitlin up and vice-versa :):) they'll [both] probly be on the same podium some day, eh?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think a lot of it is how the game is played and who the opponent is as Bjbod mentioned.
Uconn against Syracuse ... you can pick your sorry a__ up your self!
Uconn against ND ... didn't touch you and you flew through the air like a Mack truck hit you, if you're injured its your own d____ fault!
Uconn against Iowa ... this is fun and you're playing well, sorry I decked you, let me help you up. (And maybe I'll deck you again if you get in my way, but in a friendly kind of way!)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom