Iowa State Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Iowa State Scouting Report

Reaction Score
It's pretty early in the season to be declaring these things. The B12 is tough and both of those teams are below Texas, Kansas, and Baylor at least.

Oregon can go on a run, sure. But UNC would have just been a better game than Iowa State for our resume, and given how poorly BE teams have played, and the bad losses picked up by Florida and Oklahoma State, the schedule ain't looking as good as we'd like. Dumping one or two of those cupcakes—especially now that we're recruiting like we are—would be a huge improvement going forward to bolster our resume when the rest of the conference—or random, normally very strong opponents—are down.
It is pretty early in the season to be declaring these things. Which also means it's pretty early in the season to be declaring these won't be good games on the schedule either like you're saying

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Pretty crazy to think that the out opponents in the winners side of the bracket are Oregon, Bama, and ISU.

While Bamas bracket is MSU, UConn, UNC. Just on paper seems a lot stronger and longer term better for SOS.

And no I’m not suggesting a loss would have been better, duh. Just pointing out that losers side path on paper looks a lot better than winners bracket - which is weird.
The "look" of that is really based on the presumptions driving early season rankings. Much more will shake out as the season progresses.

The clearest example here is UNC. Consensus #1 at the start of the season, but a paper tiger in reality.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Alabama is favored versus UNC. I feel good about this one.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There’s one guaranteed NCAA team in there. Oklahoma St and Iowa St might get beat up by the Big 12, and Florida/Oregon have some bad losses already.

We need to get better at scheduling marquee opponents.
It’s honestly not our fault UNC and MSU pissed the bed in the PKI. Lol

Winning this should be a big statement in the manner we did it. These games haven’t been close.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Winning this should be a big statement in the manner we did it. These games haven’t been close.
Agree to your first and second points. I just don’t like relying on early-season tournaments to get our OOC wins.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
There’s one guaranteed NCAA team in there. Oklahoma St and Iowa St might get beat up by the Big 12, and Florida/Oregon have some bad losses already.

We need to get better at scheduling marquee opponents.
If the team keeps winning games resulting in an excellent record, no need to worry about who opponents were/are. Just try to beat everyone and results will speak for themselves no matter how down the big east is this season.

Reaction Score
Alabama is favored versus UNC. I feel good about this one.

I am expecting a 10+ point with for 'Bama. That is a very well-coached and talented team. UNC has talented pieces, but no cohesiveness.

Reaction Score
Iowa State is a good team, and their frenetic style can cause problems. UConn is much more talented and will win as long as they keep their composure. Good prep game for the Big East.

Reaction Score
I am expecting a 10+ point with for 'Bama. That is a very well-coached and talented team. UNC has talented pieces, but no cohesiveness.
I think Leaky Black can give Miller a hard time. Alabama should wear them out though.

Reaction Score

This. We’re beating teams by large margins. That has to count for something

Reaction Score
This. We’re beating teams by large margins. That has to count for something
The nice thing about modern metrics is that it doesn't really matter who you play, as long as you win by the amount you're supposed to or more. And we've been waiting the spreads at PKI by 15+ points.

Reaction Score
Pretty crazy to think that the out opponents in the winners side of the bracket are Oregon, Bama, and ISU.

While Bamas bracket is MSU, UConn, UNC. Just on paper seems a lot stronger and longer term better for SOS.

And no I’m not suggesting a loss would have been better, duh. Just pointing out that losers side path on paper looks a lot better than winners bracket - which is weird.
A good win is worth more than a good loss.

Reaction Score
Honestly...I think it's pretty meh. Alabama will likely be the only Top 25 OOC they play, and with a down BE they may only get 3 Top 25 games all year: Alabama, Creighton, @Creighton. Florida, Oregon, and OSU are usually good teams—let alone Nova—so I'm not blaming the schedulers, but it'll end up being pretty weak overall given the bunnies we played.
So we better win a lot of games. Winning cures everything. Win the big east reg and tourney and the seed will be no lower than a #2

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom