Iowa State Scouting Report | The Boneyard

Iowa State Scouting Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
from Seth Davis article on SI:

The Cyclones are deceptively talented, but they can be lulled to sleep and get disinterested, particularly Royce White. He is an Anthony Mason-type player, a distributor and a facilitator. He's just so talented that he gets bored out there sometimes. Then all of a sudden he's like, now I'm going to play. Then he'll make five plays that nobody in the country at his size can make. I like Chris Allen, but Scott Christopherson is the guy on the perimeter for them. I think a team that can get out and make shots would give them trouble. White is good inside, but that's not what he wants to do. He wants style points. He wants to show he can handle the ball and throw a behind-the-back pass. It also hurts them because he handles the ball so much, yet he misses free throws. Then they bring in Melvin Ejim, who's 6-6, and Anthony Booker, who's 6-9 but wants to shoot threes. So they don't have much inside besides Royce.

Reaction Score
here's what he has on uconn:

Connecticut:
The Huskies don't run offense. I mean they literally don't run a fricking offense. They never have, but in the past they always had players that were better than you. Jeremy Lamb is not great at just getting his own shot. Andre Drummond doesn't have any post moves. It's all dunks and alley-oops. Shabazz Napier is a shoot-first point guard, but he still has a way to go with his lack of physicality, the way he uses ball screens. He tries to run away from everybody, whereas Kemba Walker would come at you, knock you off balance and get you in foul trouble. I liked Napier better last year in a secondary role. Sometimes when guys get too big of a role, they're not ready for it. Plus, they have two guys competing for every spot, and sometimes that's bad for chemistry. You can see there's a lot going on with Drummond and Alex Oriakhi. They're committed to Drummond, and as a result Oriakhi's numbers have dropped.

Reaction Score
in the beginning of the article he says that he wanted to find out teams weaknesses, so the analysis is probably skewed negatively.

Reaction Score
UConn runs offense. It doesn't look pretty when the players are young and not running it well. But watch 2008-09, BET and NCAAT 2011.

Just showing how little Davis knows. They're offensives sets aren't being well run right now, but that doesn't mean Calhoun just rolls the ball out there.

Reaction Score
So is there one positive to UConn according to Davis?
read my comment right above yours. also, the scouting reports are composed of quotes from other coaches in the league, not from Davis.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
UConn runs offense. It doesn't look pretty when the players are young and not running it well. But watch 2008-09, BET and NCAAT 2011.

Just showing how little Davis knows. They're offensives sets aren't being well run right now, but that doesn't mean Calhoun just rolls the ball out there.
Based on how little JL (and the rest of the team for that matter) moves at times and how sluggishly he moves around screens, I wouldn't argue against Davis on that point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
The posters on the Iowa St site were concerned about this. If we can defend the three, we'll be in good shape....if.

Well, that's a huge IF, since we haven't shown the ability to do so up to this point. We are allowing opponents to make 7.2 threes a game at a 34% clip. Iowa State ranks 35th among D-I programs at a 38% clip. They make just under nine a game and shoot just over 23.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
Going to see a lot of the 3 guard line-up. I think it's a good first round matchup.

Reaction Score
The posters on the Iowa St site were concerned about this. If we can defend the three, we'll be in good shape....if.
It's funny, they have this Babb kid they are raving about, and how he will be able to easily shut down Lamb. He's a 6-5 guard. Looking at who they played, if he is their best defender, you would think he would be on the opposing team's best guard (size may be a mitigating factor), but here are the opposing teams scorers from the guard position in the last 10 games:
  1. J'Covan Brown - 23 pts (7-19) (20.1 ppg)
  2. Pierre Jackson - 35 (11-19) (13.3 ppg)
  3. Michael Dixon* - 21 (8-10) (13.3 ppg)
  4. Rodney McGruder - 13 (5-13) (15.4 ppg)
  5. Ty Nurse - 15 (6-13) (8.9 ppg)
  6. Cameron Clark - 16 (8-14) (8.5 ppg)
  7. Quincy Miller - 16 (8-13) (11.1 ppg)
  8. Elston Turner - 8 (2-7) (13.6 ppg)
  9. Markel Brown - 18 (8-14) (10.5 ppg)
  10. Steven Pledger - 14 (5-14) (16.2 ppg)
Totals: 17.9 ppg from the guard position on 68-136 (50%) shooting. The 10 players usually averaged 13.1 ppg, and so playing Iowa State, Babb included, they increased their average by 5 ppg.
Again, Babb is 6'5" (SouthTampaBill has an inch on him) and probably a very good defender. I tried to take the taller guard when possible. But it seems someone like Boatright should be able to get into the lane at will.
*although maybe he was on Phil Pressey, who had only 11 on 5-14, and usually averages 10 ppg

caw

Reaction Score
It's funny, they have this Babb kid they are raving about, and how he will be able to easily shut down Lamb. He's a 6-5 guard. Looking at who they played, if he is their best defender, you would think he would be on the opposing team's best guard (size may be a mitigating factor), but here are the opposing teams scorers from the guard position in the last 10 games:
  1. J'Covan Brown - 23 pts (7-19) (20.1 ppg)
  2. Pierre Jackson - 35 (11-19) (13.3 ppg)
  3. Michael Dixon* - 21 (8-10) (13.3 ppg)
  4. Rodney McGruder - 13 (5-13) (15.4 ppg)
  5. Ty Nurse - 15 (6-13) (8.9 ppg)
  6. Cameron Clark - 16 (8-14) (8.5 ppg)
  7. Quincy Miller - 16 (8-13) (11.1 ppg)
  8. Elston Turner - 8 (2-7) (13.6 ppg)
  9. Markel Brown - 18 (8-14) (10.5 ppg)
  10. Steven Pledger - 14 (5-14) (16.2 ppg)
Totals:17.9 ppg from the guard position on 68-136 (50%) shooting. The 10 players usually averaged 13.1 ppg, and so playing Iowa State, Babb included, they increased their average by 5 ppg.

Again, Babb is 6'5" (SouthTampaBill has an inch on him) and probably a very good defender. I tried to take the taller guard when possible. But it seems someone like Boatright should be able to get into the lane at will.
*although maybe he was on Phil Pressey, who had only 11 on 5-14, and usually averages 10 ppg

If Babb is 6'5 he was probably on Denmon or English not Pressey or Dixon.

Denmon was pretty shut down against ISU scoring 6 and 14 in the two outings

English had 10 and 13.

Both scored below their averages. Though I don't know how much of that was game planned and how much was Babb shutting them down. ISU is like a poor man's Missouri this year. They would have needed 4 Babb's to defend Missouri's guards.

In the first game Missouri put 6 guys in double figures, shot 52% but only 24% from 3. Iowa shot 44% and 52% from 3.

Second game, Missouri put 5 guys in double figures, shot 55% but only 33% from 3. Iowa shot 40% and 38% from 3.

Interestingly for me is that Ratliffe from Missouri played Royce White fairly closely both games.

ISU averages 3 blocks a game, so the paint could be open.

Aside from Royce, they are a fairly short team going 6'3, 6'3, 6'6, 6'5, 6'2 in guys who have played every game significant minutes. They have two 6'9 250 guys on the bench who usually see about 10 minutes a game. They are also an old, old team with seemingly every guy on their roster red-shirting a year.

If they are a quick team, which their fans say they aren't particularly, then they will cause problems. It will be hard to play both Drummond and Oriakhi together on defense never mind those two and Roscoe. Though the length of UConn could be beneficial, they rely on the 3 so much that having Drummond/Roscoe defending 6'3 guys is a bit scary. They took 1773 shots this year and 748 were threes. That's about 42% of their shots being threes. In comparison, Duke is only at 38% of their shots being threes, Missouri 37%, UConn 29%.

This is a game that Olander really shouldn't see the floor unless both Drummond and Oriakhi are in foul trouble, he just doesn't match up well at all in this game.

The only common opponent is PC, which is never a good judge, considering PC always plays UConn as if it were their NC.

Reaction Score
They took 1773 shots this year and 748 were threes. That's about 42% of their shots being threes. In comparison, Duke is only at 38% of their shots being threes, Missouri 37%, UConn 29%.

Wow...i didn't realize they were THAT 3 point happy. Thanks for the analysis.

Like i said in other threads, I think the key is to like White get his. Let him for 30 for all I care, but keep his assists down under 3.

Stay on your man and please don't double down on White. Let Drummond or AO guard him 1 on 1 and if he scores, so be it.

Reaction Score
I don't see this being a good game for AO, except maybe against their 6'9 reserve.

I don't want him guarding anybody 6'6 or shorter who has a penchant for shooting from the outside.

caw

Reaction Score

Like i said in other threads, I think the key is to like White get his. Let him for 30 for all I care, but keep his assists down under 3.

Stay on your man and please don't double down on White. Let Drummond or AO guard him 1 on 1 and if he scores, so be it.

Yeah, at first I thought I was looking at FT attempts (686). But they average almost 24 3's per game and make almost 9. It's just a crazy amount.

Not surprisingly, in the 20 games UConn won opponents shot 137/445 or 30.8% from three, in the 13 games UConn lost, opponents shot 102/252 or 40.5%.

Blaney wasn't wrong about keeping opponents under 7 made threes per game to win. UConn opponents average 6.85/22.3 in UConn wins and 7.85/19.4 in losses.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Think Pitino's old PC teams. Matchup nightmare both ways. I don't want to see the 3 guard lineup much for us, as it plays right into their hands. In a small - small matchup, I think they win. I want to oversize them. Force those guards to try to cover AO or Scoe (or at least Daniels). Lob, lob, lob. Drive and dish. Pound the ball inside. If Napier so much as thinks about launching a guarded off-balance 3, he needs to hit the pine.

Even if they hit 35% from 3, I want UConn to shoot 80% from the paint. Dunks and layups every time down the floor.

Reaction Score
I don't see this being a good game for AO, except maybe against their 6'9 reserve.

I don't want him guarding anybody 6'6 or shorter who has a penchant for shooting from the outside.

Yea I think this is a game where Roscoe is going to have to log alot of minutes at the 4 and JC has said as much. AO having to defend on the perimeter is not a good look.

Reaction Score
if i were them, i would have royce white set screens and watch as drummond tries to recover after his terrible attempt at hedging.

Reaction Score
This will be the 2nd time facing Chris Allen who was on MSU's final 4 team.

Reaction Score
Think Pitino's old PC teams. Matchup nightmare both ways. I don't want to see the 3 guard lineup much for us, as it plays right into their hands. In a small - small matchup, I think they win. I want to oversize them. Force those guards to try to cover AO or Scoe (or at least Daniels). Lob, lob, lob. Drive and dish. Pound the ball inside. If Napier so much as thinks about launching a guarded off-balance 3, he needs to hit the pine.

Even if they hit 35% from 3, I want UConn to shoot 80% from the paint. Dunks and layups every time down the floor.

AMEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog