OT: - Iowa Girl's Golf Tourney Pin Placement | The Boneyard

OT: Iowa Girl's Golf Tourney Pin Placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Someone decided to put pin on #18 right on crest of a false front on green.
Six putts were not uncommon and groups were averaging 20 min just to putt.

Reaction Score
mlb GIF by SB Nation

Reaction Score
Saw that...Absolutely absurd pin placement for a tourney...very hard to watch...

"difficult"? Yes... "near to impossible"? Never

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think you misinterpreted his statement. He's saying that it's OK to make the pin placements difficult, but they shouldn't be virtually impossible. I think most golfers would agree with that, especially for junior golfers.

Right. You have to know the skill level. When the average score is an 8 on a par 4 and most of the golfers took 3 or more putts on that green, you screwed up.

We all see PGA players lose their mind in majors when the course set up is always on the edge and weather takes over- We're looking at you Shinnecock Hills and Phil intentionally hitting a moving putt because he's a wuss. At least none of the girls took the Phil route. They did it by the book.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Right. You have to know the skill level. When the average score is an 8 on a par 4 and most of the golfers took 3 or more putts on that green, you screwed up.

We all see PGA players lose their mind in majors when the course set up is always on the edge and weather takes over- We're looking at you Shinnecock Hills and Phil intentionally hitting a moving putt because he's a wuss. At least none of the girls took the Phil route. They did it by the book.

What's the penalty?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What's the penalty?
I believe it's two strokes.

It's two strokes unless the "committee" or whomever is running the tournament decides hitting the moving ball was done intentionally to "influence the movement of a ball in play" or "serious breach of the rules of golf". Both those would be a DQ from the tourney. Many people believe Phil should have been DQ'd from US Open since he obviously hit the ball back towards the hole while it was still rolling away from the hole.

Reaction Score
There are also certain rules regarding what is a legal "pin placement" and from looking at this I have to imagine that this would not even be a legal pin placement for a pga tournament due to the slope of where the hole is

Reaction Score
Off topic. My buddy and I worked at Pequot Golf Course in Stonington back in 1977. Our shift ended at 2:30pm and we were planning to play 36 holes after work. We had to move the pins that morning so we decided to put them all in the toughest spots on each green for the ultimate layout. We were working on the 14th green when the superintendent came flying up in his pickup truck to remind us that the women's league was teeing off shortly. We had to go move all the pins we had done already. We never did get to play that ultimate layout.

Reaction Score
We had a tournament callled superintendent’s revenge where the tee and pin placements were in the toughnessed spot possible. That’s not golf
Even best balll foursomes

Reaction Score
I think you misinterpreted his statement. He's saying that it's OK to make the pin placements difficult, but they shouldn't be virtually impossible. I think most golfers would agree with that, especially for junior golfers.
Exactly... Thanks for the support

Reaction Score

I think that John Daly also did it at Pinehurst in a US Open, and I believe he then walked off the course.

Reaction Score
The pin was in a tough location especially for the type of player in the tournament. There were 76 girls in the tournament and only 20 averaged less than 95 for the 2 rounds. There were 10 golfers who averaged more than 120 for each round. The course played par 71, 5360 yards with a rating of 70.2 and slope of 117 which is a pretty easy course rating.

2 girls shot +5 for the tournament and they got par and bogey on 18 on the last day. 3rd place was +19, 4th place was +22, and 3 golfers were tied for 5th at +23. These golfers shot on the last hole: +4, +3, +2, +5, +3.

Reaction Score
Here is John Daly remembering when he hit his golf ball as it returned to him for a 3rd time at the green of #8 at Pinehurst during the '99 US Open:

Reaction Score
There are also certain rules regarding what is a legal "pin placement" and from looking at this I have to imagine that this would not even be a legal pin placement for a pga tournament due to the slope of where the hole is
It looked like our greenskeepers revenge tournament.

Reaction Score
Course we normally play has a guy that puts the pins in the toughest spots in the days he plays with his buddies. It’s not bad off season. But when it’s tourist season turns a 4 hour round into 5 plus. He’s an idiot IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom