Ionescu sets NCAA mark for triple-doubles in Oregon's win | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ionescu sets NCAA mark for triple-doubles in Oregon's win

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Oregon is playing well, Sabrina was shooting 50% from distance before yesterday, and she is getting a lot of press for the triple-doubles. Look for her to be on the WBCA All-American 1st team if she continues her level of play.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Speaking of trades . . .

I wouldn't trade Lou for her in a million years. I also wouldn't trade Crystal for her.

Why is a point guard getting double figures in rebounding? Doesn't that indicate a shortcoming with the forwards?

Could Ionescu guard Crystal? Color me skeptical.

Don't get me wrong: I really wanted Ionescu at Uconn. But I'm not prepared to give her Superwoman status

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Okay I looked into this claim that Stewie would've triple-doubled as often as Sabrina if only she'd played as many minutes. The verdict: No.

First of all, there's only a very small discrepancy in the number of minutes they played: only a difference of about 3.5 minutes per game (ignoring Stewie's freshman year, when her minutes were very up and down).

Even if we calculate their stats on the basis of "per minute played," Ionescu has been averaging significantly more assists per minute than Stewie averaged in assists or blocks per minute. Here's a comparison of Ionescu's current season to Stewie's senior season (statistically her strongest for the categories in question):

Ionescu in 2017-2018: averaging 8.1 assists per game in 32.7 minutes per game = 0.25 assists per minute played.
Stewie in 2015-2016: averaged 4.0 assists and 3.4 blocks per game in 29.1 minutes per game = 0.14 assists and 0.12 blocks per minute played.

Reaction Score
Why is a point guard getting double figures in rebounding? Doesn't that indicate a shortcoming with the forwards?

I'm not the Oregon expert, but I'm not sure Ionescu is the actual point guard. She just seems like it because she gets all those assists. I believe Carzola is the PG, but maybe it really doesn't matter who gets what label.

Probably wouldn't be wise to guard Ionescu with Dangerfield. Shoot right over her at the three point line. Ionescu is 5'11.

Don't get me wrong: I really wanted Ionescu at Uconn. But I'm not prepared to give her Superwoman status

She may not be Superwoman, but what do you call a player who owns the career triple doubles record halfway through her sophomore year?

Unless some post player really steps up and and establishes herself in the next couple of years, Ionescu is my early call for the #1 draft pick in 2020.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm not the Oregon expert, but I'm not sure Ionescu is the actual point guard. She just seems like it because she gets all those assists. I believe Carzola is the PG, but maybe it really doesn't matter who gets what label.

Probably wouldn't be wise to guard Ionescu with Dangerfield. Shoot right over her at the three point line. Ionescu is 5'11.

She may not be Superwoman, but what do you call a player who owns the career triple doubles record halfway through her sophomore year?

Unless some post player really steps up and and establishes herself in the next couple of years, Ionescu is my early call for the #1 draft pick in 2020.
OK, I thought she was considered the point guard. And note I was talking about Ionescu guarding Crystal.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
It's kind of predictable, if a non-UConn player accomplishes something major, somebody on this forum has to chime in w/ "well a UConn player could've done that too if they just played more minutes." Oh well.

And I guess your comment isn't typical of a non-conn fan :rolleyes:

SI went to OR for the reason you are seeing, IMO. She plays a lot of minutes, even in blow outs. They have not played a tough schedule and they are playing a lot of zone which is atypical of Graves prior teams when he was with Gonzaga. I would call that resting. The PAC is not as strong IMO, so playing a weak out of conference schedule is a cop out if they want to get better and be ready for the tournament.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Uh oh, Plebe drops a truth bomb! Ionescu is only averaging 32 minutes per game? You would think she's playing all 40 from some posts on this thread. 32 is actually a bit on the low side all things considered.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
SI went to OR for the reason you are seeing, IMO. She plays a lot of minutes, even in blow outs. They have not played a tough schedule and they are playing a lot of zone which is atypical of Graves prior teams when he was with Gonzaga. I would call that resting. The PAC is not as strong IMO, so playing a weak out of conference schedule is a cop out if they want to get better and be ready for the tournament.

Perhaps I should point out--since you seem to be a Bruin fan--that Canada plays about as many minutes/game as does Ionescu (32.2 vs. 32..7 for I.), and--in my view, at least--typically dominates the ball to a greater extent than does Ionescu. (As others have pointed out, Ionescu in effect shares the point guard position with Maite Cazorla, who herself averages over 5 assist/game.) And, according to Massey, the Oregon SOS ranks 10th; that's lower than UCLA, obviously--Massey has them at #4--but, assuming you believe him, it's certainly respectable. Finally, I believe that comments such as "SI went to OR for the reason you are seeing" unfairly attribute to SI motives that are somehow suspect and, more to the point, about which none of us (I suspect) has any real knowledge. Lots of folks play a lot of minutes, and I suppose a fair number of those in systems you seem to equate with "resting." But none of them has broken the NCAA record for triple doubles halfway through her sophomore year.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Perhaps I should point out--since you seem to be a Bruin fan--that Canada plays about as many minutes/game as does Ionescu (32.2 vs. 32..7 for I.), and--in my view, at least--typically dominates the ball to a greater extent than does Ionescu. (As others have pointed out, Ionescu in effect shares the point guard position with Maite Cazorla, who herself averages over 5 assist/game.) And, according to Massey, the Oregon SOS ranks 10th; that's lower than UCLA, obviously--Massey has them at #4--but, assuming you believe him, it's certainly respectable. Finally, I believe that comments such as "SI went to OR for the reason you are seeing" unfairly attribute to SI motives that are somehow suspect and, more to the point, about which none of us (I suspect) has any real knowledge. Lots of folks play a lot of minutes, and I suppose a fair number of those in systems you seem to equate with "resting." But none of them has broken the NCAA record for triple doubles halfway through her sophomore year.
Wow! A Pac12 cat fight on the BY. Got to love our West Coast friends providing some entertainment while we’re all hunkered down back East dealing with sub-freezing temps.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wow! A Pac12 cat fight on the BY. Got to love our West Coast friends providing some entertainment while we’re all hunkered down back East dealing with sub-freezing temps.

Not sure about a catfight.... Just a good ol Bear vs Duck fight.... a mismatch in real life. Sidenote: The Pac 12 probably has the best collection of mascots of any league..... You got Buffaloes, Ducks, Beavers, two types of bears.... two types of big cats, a Tree, a tanned demon, the real husky, a man with a sword, an a Native American Tribe :cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not sure about a catfight.... Just a good ol Bear vs Duck fight.... a mismatch in real life. Sidenote: The Pac 12 probably has the best collection of mascots of any league..... You got Buffaloes, Ducks, Beavers, two types of bears.... two types of big cats, a Tree, a tanned demon, the real husky, a man with a sword, an a Native American Tribe :cool:

To paraphrase Sue Bird addressing Kelsey Plum at USA Basketball camp:

"I'm pretty sure when they said Huskies, they weren't talking about your school"

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Sue Bird adressing to Kelsey Plum at USA Basketball camp:

"I'm pretty sure when they said Huskies, they weren't talking about your school"

:p

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I'm a big West Coast homer, but even I know not to refer to UW as the "real Huskies."

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm a big West Coast homer, but even I know not to refer to UW as the "real Huskies."

Well I have been a huge college football fan since childhood.... and Washington was the most prominent Husky team growing up.... not sure when UConn even went Division I in FB...... they didnt get relevant in College Basketball until my senior year in high school........ so forgive me :oops: Plus I have 3 Washington hats hanging up on a chair and only 1 Uconn hat (not sure where it is) so........ :cool:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ah, well if the subject is football then UConn isn't really worth even mentioning.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well I have been a huge college football fan since childhood.... and Washington was the most prominent Husky team growing up.... not sure when UConn even went Division I in FB. they didnt get relevant in College Basketball until my senior year in high school... so forgive me :oops: Plus I have 3 Washington hats hanging up on a chair and only 1 Uconn hat (not sure where it is) so... :cool:
The weather forecast says you may be needing this:
upload_2018-1-2_21-18-44.jpeg

upload_2018-1-2_21-18-44.jpeg

Reaction Score
Speaking of trades . . .

I wouldn't trade Lou for her in a million years. I also wouldn't trade Crystal for her.

I'm an OSU Beaver graduate and huge Beaver Women's basketball follower. Sabrina is the most talented player I've seen in the PAC12 at her position in many years. Also Beavers aren't typically UO Duck Fans. I'm a HUGE fan of Sabrina, she is the real deal.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I'm an OSU Beaver graduate and huge Beaver Women's basketball follower. Sabrina is the most talented player I've seen in the PAC12 at her position in many years. Also Beavers aren't typically UO Duck Fans. I'm a HUGE fan of Sabrina, she is the real deal.
OK, I will take your word for it. As I noted, I wanted her for UConn.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Speaking of trades . . .

I also want to point out that Crystal and Sabrina were not an either/or recruiting proposition. Ionescu can very capably play the shooting guard and would make an excellent backcourt mate to Dangerfield. In fact, we shouldn't be surprised if we see both on the court at the same time in upcoming U21 and U23 international play (assuming it hasn't happened already).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lotrader speaks the truth, Oregon and Oregon St. fans have a very hard time finding anything nice to say about the other school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom