Iona | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Iona

Reaction Score
Okay all you Chicken Littles, here is how it's going to play out on Friday:
Iona will try to press after made baskets, of which there are not going to be nearly enough to give Iona a chance to win. When they do, UConn will break it by Newton passing over midcourt to a waiting Karaban who then finds Hawkins wide open on the perimeter for a 3-point SWISH! After 3 or 4 of these, JH will be closely guarded, freeing up Adama inside for the easy bucket. Adama will shoot 9-10 free throws as Iona's absolutely raw 7-footers can only stop him by fouling. Adama finishes with 24+ points.

UConn is up by 12 at the half; Hurley is not about to let up on the gas in the second half since he learned his lesson against Providence (no slowdowns), so the lead grows to 20 points with 2:00 left when he brings in the subs and the final score is a 15-point win for the Huskies.

Georgetown and St Johns rethink their offer to Pitino.

Reaction Score
Okay all you Chicken Littles, here is how it's going to play out on Friday:
Iona will try to press after made baskets, of which there are not going to be nearly enough to give Iona a chance to win. When they do, UConn will break it by Newton passing over midcourt to a waiting Karaban who then finds Hawkins wide open on the perimeter for a 3-point SWISH! After 3 or 4 of these, JH will be closely guarded, freeing up Adama inside for the easy bucket. Adama will shoot 9-10 free throws as Iona's absolutely raw 7-footers can only stop him by fouling. Adama finishes with 24+ points.

UConn is up by 12 at the half; Hurley is not about to let up on the gas in the second half since he learned his lesson against Providence (no slowdowns), so the lead grows to 20 points with 2:00 left when he brings in the subs and the final score is a 15-point win for the Huskies.

Georgetown and St Johns rethink their offer to Pitino.
Everything there is plausibly correct except the last sentence. Those moribund programs will do whatever they can to bring in a name brand coach like Pitino.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
1000% this. It's really hard to keep pressure going all game when you match up athletically, it's damn near impossible to do when you're athletically outmatched.
Athletically outmatched? Or just deeper.

Reaction Score
I hope he doesn't get too pumped and try to do too much offensively. And by "offensively" I mean jacking threes. I'm all for him driving and dunking, but please leave the threes for Karaban and Hawkins and maybe Alleyne. Even if he makes a three, still not a good shot from him. I don't want Sanogo shooting threes either.
At Villanova he had the 3pt shooting in check, don’t take the first open one, but get one nice open shot in rhythm per half. If you make that first shot in a half, take another one if it’s open, after that STOP

You don’t want him never shooting it, but of course the driving is a better option, as soon as the D moves to adjust, consider the loft pass to Sanogo/Clingan down low or put it up softly assuming the big man gets the O board and an easy 2

Reaction Score
If Silas Sunday is the reason UConn loses, it just wasn't meant to be. Dude averages 5 MPG and 2/2. His high this year is 13 minutes.
He will be a guy they put in to hack Sanogo. These big men might be big but since they’re at Iona I’m going to assume they’re nowhere near as skilled as our guys or the bigs we’ve played against this season. Adama likes to shake and fake and get himself that clear path for his layup or hook but we need him to create contact, get fouls on these fools and get to the FT line. If we get their big men in foul trouble they would need to shoot the lights out from deep to have a chance. Let’s go!!!!

Reaction Score
And Iona has been so banged up that they needed Taliek to scrimmage with them. We need to attack their bigs and run them out of the gym

Not to mention that we have made a significant roster overhaul and gameplanning changes since Taliek left.

I don't think Taliek is going to be able to let Pitino know any big deep dark secrets that are the "key to winning" beyond simple study of game tape from this year.

Reaction Score
I watched Iona play a couple of times on tv and once in person. They are a good low mid-major, if that’s the right term. Based on talent level we should handle them pretty easily. They aren’t that big or quick. They are well coached as you would expect. Of course, the NCAA tournament is a different sort of beast. The team with superior talent loses at least 2-3 or more games. Usually in these upsets it seems to me that pace and shooting are key. Having a guard who can control the flow and makes a few shots he shouldn’t especially early and causes some panic on the other side is often the case in crazy upsets. I don’t really think Iona has those type of players, though sometimes a guy plays over his head. If that happens, it will be a tough game. I think what we will see is pressure on the ball, and an attempt to disrupt Hawkins and keep him from getting into any sort of rhythm. Wouldn’t be shocked to see some kind of box and one style zone to keep him from ever getting open and make UConn beat them with 2s to Iona’s 3s. Rick is a tricky guy so he might do something totally different against a mismatch. But I just don’t see enough talent to beat UConn.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I think Jackson's ability to handle the press and make those backbreaking passes in the trap will be key to us running Iona out of the gym...

Reaction Score
Hi Guys,

I agree with Okafour rings in how the Iona game could pan out.

But I've known Little Ricky Pitino since the '60's NY basketball camps when he would so obviously brown-nose Looie, Kresse, Clair Bee, Jack Rohan, Lou Rossini & van Breda Kolff. And I think he's the best in the business & has been for a long time.

He recruits his guards for different physical attributes than do most coaches: His guards must HAVE CONFIDENCE, be physical, be able to shoot the three (especially at the end of games), press all game, & and never get tired.

Yes, I do believe our bigs could have a big night against Iona. BUT....I also believe that Iona's guards could have a field day against the shortcomings of our poor ball-handling guards, especially Newton. They will press us like crazy.

Iona may be beat up. But they went 27-7. Give him time & Ricky Pitino will find a way to make your program elite & to win most of his games. He has never changed. He is elite in any game. Even at 70, Pitino is as competitive as Jpordan ever was.

If the game is close at the end, Dan Hurley will look like Red with his green playbook in the Bourbon Bowl from "Waterboy." IMO, Pitino will run circles around DH in that situation & respond much faster in every situation.

If our guards can beat Iona's press & get the ball to our Bigs without dribbling much, then the Huskies should be fine & move on.

Father Demo

PS: I wish Ricky Pitino was our coach. St. John's will finally get the coach they've needed for so long. Watch out for the Johnnies next season.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Hi Guys,

I agree with Okafour rings in how the Iona game could pan out.

But I've known Little Ricky Pitino since the '60's NY basketball camps when he would so obviously brown-nose Looie, Kresse, Clair Bee, Jack Rohan, Lou Rossini & van Breda Kolff. And I think he's the best in the business & has been for a long time.

He recruits his guards for different physical attributes than do most coaches: His guards must HAVE CONFIDENCE, be physical, be able to shoot the three (especially at the end of games), press all game, & and never get tired.

Yes, I do believe our bigs could have a big night against Iona. BUT....I also believe that Iona's guards could have a field day against the shortcomings of our poor ball-handling guards, especially Newton. They will press us like crazy.

Iona may be beat up. But they went 27-7. Give him time & Ricky Pitino will find a way to make your program elite & to win most of his games. He has never changed. He is elite in any game. Even at 70, Pitino is as competitive as Jpordan ever was.

If the game is close at the end, Dan Hurley will look like Red with his green playbook in the Bourbon Bowl from "Waterboy." IMO, Pitino will run circles around DH in that situation & respond much faster in every situation.

If our guards can beat Iona's press & get the ball to our Bigs without dribbling much, then the Huskies should be fine & move on.

Father Demo

PS: I wish Ricky Pitino was our coach. St. John's will finally get the coach they've needed for so long. Watch out for the Johnnies next season.
How are they in altitude?

Reaction Score
How are they in altitude?
Dunno, Okafor. How will the Huskies do in altitude? Las Vegas is on a plateau at only about 2,000 elevation, not like Denver or UT, where it takes some getting used to.

I played four college games in LV (Xmas tournaments) & didn't really feel it that much. Altitude should NOT be an issue there.

I think we will win.

Because he is coaching Iona & only for a short time now, I don't think Ricky Pitino has been able to build a national program there yet.

The best players will seek him out once he's enscounced in Queens. He will never retire.

Father Demo

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
maybe we should tell the schmucks at Villanova SB Nation. Most of them want us to lose, well, at least the BET games they did.
They might be bitter due to the fact that our coach that took over for a HOF won the NC his first (eligible) year.

Reaction Score
I think we are a little on edge but drawing a MAAC team isn’t bad news

Drawing Pitino and what he can do defensively, is, though in my opinion. We are a little shaky against full court pressure because of our guards. Pitino has been one of the most successful "pressing" coaches over the last 30 years. I'd much rather have taken on any of the other "13s"

Reaction Score

How is this possible? I thought we were done with this clown? And it’s not just UConn games with this guy. He wants any game to be about him and will find a way to insert himself into it

Reaction Score
1000% this. It's really hard to keep pressure going all game when you match up athletically, it's damn near impossible to do when you're athletically outmatched.
I agree. It we literally just heard this in our last game vs Marquette

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom