Invitees to 2021 USA Women’s AmeriCup Team Trials | The Boneyard

Invitees to 2021 USA Women’s AmeriCup Team Trials

Reaction Score

"Invitations to the trials, which will be held at the University of South Carolina, were issued by the USA Basketball Women's Junior National Team Committee and USA Women's Senior National Team Committee.

Due to COVID-19 precautions, no media or guests will be allowed to view trials sessions. USA Basketball will provide media with images and b-roll for non-commercial, editorial use on a daily basis.
"

The 20 athletes who have accepted an invitation to attend trials are:
Grace Berger (Indiana/Louisville, Ky.);
Aliyah Boston (South Carolina/St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.);
Jakia Brown-Turner (NC State/Oxen Hill, Md.);
Rae Burrell (Tennessee/Las Vegas, Nev.);
Veronica Burton (Northwestern/Newton, Mass.);
Zia Cooke (South Carolina/Toledo, Ohio);
Elissa Cunane (NC State/Summerfield, N.C.);
Destanni Henderson (South Carolina/Fort Meyers, Fla.);
Naz Hillmon (Michigan/Cleveland, Ohio);
Rhyne Howard (Kentucky/Cleveland, Tenn.);
Ashley Joens (Iowa State/Iowa City, Iowa);
Haley Jones (Stanford/Santa Cruz, Calif.);
Elizabeth Kitley (Virginia Tech/Summerfield, N.C.);
Diamond Miller (Maryland/Somerset, N.J.);
Ashley Owusu (Maryland/Woodbridge, Va.);
Khayla Pointer (Louisiana State/Marietta, Ga.);
Sedona Prince (Oregon/Liberty Hill, Texas);
NaLyssa Smith (Baylor/Converse, Texas);
Jenna Staiti (Georgia/Cumming, Ga.); and
Hailey Van Lith (Louisville/Wenatchee, Wash.)

FWIW, Names in bold print either play for Dawn or played against Dawn's team this past season. No UConn players invited.

Reaction Score
It’s a list of athletes who’ve accepted invitations. I wouldn’t be surprised if some UConn players were invited, but declined.

Reaction Score
I wonder why Beal and Saxton didn’t get an invite if Henderson got one.

Reaction Score
It’s a list of athletes who’ve accepted invitations. I wouldn’t be surprised if some UConn players were invited, but declined.
Perhaps true. I have no idea.

I notice that Stanford, Baylor, NC State and Louisville all have players on the list. The only "Power School" not represented is UConn.

Reaction Score
I’m sure Dawn didn’t send out the invitations. All of that is done from USA basketball. The committee that chose the players consists of Rizotti, Wes Moore, Kara Lawson, and Temple coach Cordosa. Henderson, along with Boston and Cooke, has been a part of USA basketball for several years. I don’t believe Beal has and I know Saxton hasn’t.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perhaps true. I have no idea.

I notice that Stanford, Baylor, NC State and Louisville all have players on the list. The only "Power School" not represented is UConn.
Paige was not age eligible-that much I know

Reaction Score
Paige wasn’t age eligible, but Jenna Staiti was?
Jenna Staiti is a senior at Georgia, and Paige was a freshman. They also have three years between them.

Reaction Score
Jenna Staiti is a senior at Georgia, and Paige was a freshman. They also have three years between them.
Ah, didn’t think it would be because she’s too young. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Age eligible for what?
This AmeriCup team. I was wondering what the age parameters were. It looks like Hailey Van Lith is a month older than Paige, according to Google, so maybe she just sneaked in.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This AmeriCup team. I was wondering what the age parameters were. It looks like Hailey Van Lith is a month older than Paige, according to Google, so maybe she just sneaked in.
It's the senior national team. There are no age requirements.

Reaction Score
UConn players probably just wanted a break from basketball, and be able to go home. Havent they been isolated from their families all school year? I definitely thought PB, CW, and ONO would be there, but I'm guessing they wanted to take a break.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Super stoked to Veronica Burton made it as a finalist. She is fierce defender and an underrated guard in the country. Lead nation in steals i believe.

Reaction Score
I wonder why Beal and Saxton didn’t get an invite if Henderson got one.
Probably because Henderson lead the SEC in assists and shot over 40% from three point range and Beal and Saxton did not.

Maybe the committee was impressed by Henderson scoring her team's last 9 points including a bucket that put her team up 1 in the waning seconds aginst the eventual national championship.

Hard to say.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I"m wondering if the Team Members decided that when they return to UConn in June all efforts are going towards getting ready for next year. They'll use the Summer months in off season conditioning and workouts. they decided they wanted the full team there for the Off Season Workouts.

Reaction Score
Would have been nice to see Paige play against Pros since she was the NPOY. It's only one tournament in June. It's not going to be all summer. The Olympics are in July and Dawn will be in Japan. If it were all summer they would not have made her the head coach.

Reaction Score
I"m wondering if the Team Members decided that when they return to UConn in June all efforts are going towards getting ready for next year. They'll use the Summer months in off season conditioning and workouts. they decided they wanted the full team there for the Off Season Workouts.

It will certainly be helpful for the incoming players and the returning team to be with the coaching staff all summer, to prepare for next season. That much is certain......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom