Invest more in offense or pay buyout to Diaco? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Invest more in offense or pay buyout to Diaco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The program is poison, you need to cut the head off the snake. Force hire an OC on an unstable head coach? Yeah that sounds like a sure fire plan. This is Diaco's show until he is cut off.

Reaction Score
You are missing the point. If UConn fires Diaco today, it costs $5 million and you have to hire a new coach at $2 million +/-. UConn can't afford it. Of course, if a rich donor coughed up the buyout, I would say fire Diaco. If we can't fire Diaco we need to find a way to fix the situation. Why not take some of that buyout money and invest it for turning around the offense and to give Diaco a mentor and sounding board?

No, I get your point, I just think it's a bad idea. Perhaps you're missing mine.

I also don't think 1) it fixes anything, or 2) there are as many coaches as you think willing to do it.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
No, I get your point, I just think it's a bad idea. Perhaps you're missing mine.

I also don't think 1) it fixes anything, or 2) there are as many coaches as you think willing to do it.

Agreed. There are only two viable options here:

1) Fire Diaco.
2) Fire Diaco.

I don't care how much it costs. Long term it will cost the entire university immeasurably more to do nothing and watch what's left of the football program implode before everyone's eyes.

Any other ideas that have been suggested short of firing this clown are stopgap measures which will likely fail. We've already had a preview of what will happen with that when Bobby was obviously forced to make changes before the Temple game. How did that work out for us? If you want more of the same, go ahead and hire a new army of assistants. It's a job none of them will want unless they're living in the street and need food, clothing and shelter.

C

Chief00

You've never heard of an Associate Head Coach before? They're typically used two ways.

A. An older experienced coach used to help mentor a newer, younger, inexperienced head coach

B. A younger up-and-coming coach to be mentored by an older experienced head coach who may be getting close to retirement.

It's a pretty widely used position throughout all sports
Like Calhoun was mentored by George Blaney LOL

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Like Calhoun was mentored by George Blaney LOL

It is hilarious to suggest we hire a new crop of assistants and even a mentor for Little Bobby. What potential assistant coach in his right mind would sign up for a job as a deck hand on this Titanic? If Bobby gets dropped during the season or at the end of next season, this batch of new assistants goes bye bye along with him, so what motivation would any of them have to sign on?

I can see it all now. Benedict pulls each one of them into his office one by one privately and tells all of them they will be in line to be the next head coach when Bobby gets the axe. That's the only way I can see him selling an assistant coaching job here. Then they fire Bobby and they're all back looking for another job in less than a year, spreading the word among their coaching brethren nationwide that Benedict is an Arnold never to be trusted.

Who would be taken in by this insanity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek