Intimidation! | The Boneyard

Intimidation!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There were a unique set of circumstances that allowed UConn to set a bunch of NCAA tournament offensive records today. Chief among them: UConn is very good, and St. Francis played their up tempo game for the entire 40 minutes, despite the score. I give a great deal of credit to the Red Flash for having the courage to do what they did today. They got their own record with 55? 3-pt attempts in a game. For the rest of WBB, the 140-58 final score will reverberate a level of intimidation that will be felt through Waco, TX, Starkville, MS, South Bend, IN, Louisville, KY, Eugene, OR and everywhere else.

I’m sure we’ll hear complaints about UConn running up the score. For the record, Geno took off the press after the 1st qtr. At the start of the second half, Geno deliberately had the Huskies walk the ball up the court, so they could practice their half court offense. Finally, all the starters were on the bench for the entire 4th qtr.

Can’t wait to see the Huskies on Monday night.

Reaction Score
and St. Francis played their up tempo game for the entire 40 minutes, despite the score. I give a great deal of credit to the Red Flash for having the courage to do what they did today.

Classic outcome in MMA, when a charger tries to charge a master counter striker. See the UFC fight when Rhonda Rousey had won 10 straight fights, most within 1 minute or so, and, in front of 57,000 fans in Australia, and tried to charge a seasoned boxer and counter-striker, Holly Holm. Rhonda was cleanly knocked out in the second round after taking a beating until then.

Same today.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There were a unique set of circumstances that allowed UConn to set a bunch of NCAA tournament offensive records today. Chief among them: UConn is very good, and St. Francis played their up tempo game for the entire 40 minutes, despite the score. I give a great deal of credit to the Red Flash for having the courage to do what they did today. They got their own record with 55? 3-pt attempts in a game. For the rest of WBB, the 140-58 final score will reverberate a level of intimidation that will be felt through Waco, TX, Starkville, MS, South Bend, IN, Louisville, KY, Eugene, OR and everywhere else.

I’m sure we’ll hear complaints about UConn running up the score. For the record, Geno took off the press after the 1st qtr. At the start of the second half, Geno deliberately had the Huskies walk the ball up the court, so they could practice their half court offense. Finally, all the starters were on the bench for the entire 4th qtr.

Hard to say that the score will have any effect The better teams won’t care. It definitely took a team willing to give up any pretense of playing to win by taking the first sort of open shot available, no rebounding and no ability to stop us. A team like ND would put up big numbers against them. Our kids play up tempo better than any one and were drooling with joy I think GA was happy they got to keep the break sharp and do their suicide drills in game competition. D didn’t have to play interior schemes.

I hope Walker gets some decent time and Tamara too. They are both players.

Really the only sort of negative is that Stevens has a tendency to rush her lay ups and shoot them a little flat. Against St. Francis she got 3 or 4 of her own misses.

Right now my old neighbor QU is playing Mismi even. Be great to see a Husky-Bobcat match.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hard to say that the score will have any effect The better teams won’t care. It definitely took a team willing to give up any pretense of playing to win by taking the first sort of open shot available, no rebounding and no ability to stop us. A team like ND would put up big numbers against them. Our kids play up tempo better than any one and were drooling with joy I think GA was happy they got to keep the break sharp and do their suicide drills in game competition. D didn’t have to play interior schemes.

I hope Walker gets some decent time and Tamara too. They are both players.

Really the only sort of negative is that Stevens has a tendency to rush her lay ups and shoot them a little flat. Against St. Francis she got 3 or 4 of her own misses.

Right now my old neighbor QU is playing Mismi even. Be great to see a Husky-Bobcat match.
You may be correct, but I think all the top teams are looking for a sign of weakness from the other top teams. So if I’m UConn, and I see that SC struggled with NC A&T in the opening round in Columbia, I’m feeling pretty good right now. If I’m SC looking at UConn, I have a somewhat different reaction. :eek:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You may be correct, but I think all the top teams are looking for a sign of weakness from the other top teams. So if I’m UConn, and I see that SC struggled with NC A&T in the opening round in Columbia, I’m feeling pretty good right now. If I’m SC looking at UConn, I have a somewhat different reaction. :eek:
I could be wrong, but I don’t think SC is one of the teams who can take us. We might get to find out. I think a team with very good guard play and inside physical presence are the teams that could give us a tough time. But for sure, any school that sees us in their bracket before the Final 4 needs to drink their bubbly before they meet us. If Z and hopefully Walker are added to the scoring equation, there aren’t many (any) teams that can take away so many options.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I like how the ESPN WBB world was touting TN's 100 point peak during yesterday's games. Wondering how they are going to handle our game and, specifically, our 1st half ??? I am sure it will be reported after they finish discussing what A'ja did at today's practice. :rolleyes:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I don’t think SC is one of the teams who can take us. We might get to find out. I think a team with very good guard play and inside physical presence are the teams that could give us a tough time. But for sure, any school that sees us in their bracket before the Final 4 needs to drink their bubbly before they meet us. If Z and hopefully Walker are added to the scoring equation, there aren’t many (any) teams that can take away so many options.
Yup, just like they took us during the regular season. A'ja is dreading facing Gabby and Pheesa again.

Reaction Score

Love your posts!
Not sure I consider what St. Francis did courageous. Just like UConn is famous for upholding the integrity of the game in so many ways, St. Francis IMO also should be accountable to the integrity of the game. The NCAA tournament is the ultimate showcase for the sport.
To be blunt, it was a clown show on their part after about the 2nd minute. 55 3-point attempts, half of them contested hoists 5 feet behind the line with exactly zero chance of being made. How is that basketball?
Obviously, as a Husky fan I was thoroughly entertained! I think this game worked out well for UConn, with much conditioning attained after a long layoff, good relaxed, low pressure shooting practice, and a greater opportunity for confident play by the bench. I thought Megan played her game today. I contend that she's not a 3-point shooter and she was aggressive in taking her shots, which are mid-range shots. Go Huskies!
Go away St. Francis! That's not basketball!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I like how the ESPN WBB world was touting TN's 100 point peak during yesterday's games. Wondering how they are going to handle our game and, specifically, our 1st half ??? I am sure it will be reported after they finish discussing what A'ja did at today's practice. :rolleyes:
As I had mentioned in my OP, Geno took off the press after the 1st qtr. Had he left it on, St Francis would have sped up their game even more, committed more TO’s and likely witnessed a Husky team hit the century mark by halftime.

Reaction Score
So far in one other game has the 2 teams scored more than Uconn did today! Central Michigan-LSU combined for 147.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score

The only teams in this tourney with a chance to beat UConn (there are probably only 7 or 8 with anything but the most remote chance) are not going to be affected by this score. If MSU could overcome the nightmare of a 60 point loss the year before and get a win, they are certainly fully aware of what can happen if you are off and the Huskies are on.

Baylor beat Winthrop 140-32 last year. They beat Texas Southern 119-30 in the 1st Round. Neither of those scores got them to the Final Four.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah,140 is other worldly, but I’m also impressed by the 86 QU has on the board with a few seconds left. Maybe we will rout them, but if we do, it won’t be because they are intimidated. Very well-coached and I doubt they will just jack up shots.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
And what happened to USF? Seems like they might have still been suffering from UConn shock. Not great for the league. Lost by 25 and gavec up 99.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Baylor beat Winthrop 140-32 last year. They beat Texas Southern 119-30 in the 1st Round. Neither of those scores got them to the Final Four.
Nether Winthrop or TX Southern were NCAA qualifiers this year. Trust me on one thing, every team in the NCAA tournament checks out the game scores of every other game. While no one expected St Francis to stay with UConn, when you see 140 pts and an 82 pt mov, there is just a little bit of a sinking feeling.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And what happened to USF? Seems like they might have still been suffering from UConn shock. Not great for the league. Lost by 25 and gavec up 99.
Really disappointed with USF. I really believed the Bulls could advance to the Sweet 16 this year.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE
I can’t wait to see the Huskies on Monday night.[/QUOTE]I'm guessing QU won't be doing the run & shoot thing. Just a wild guess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom