Inteview with Muffit | The Boneyard

Inteview with Muffit

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
In an interview with ND today, McG said this about UConn:

"They are the measuring stick. No matter how well you are doing in the rest of the conference or across the country, you always compare yourself to how you play against Connecticut."

Reaction Score
Muffet always says respectful and wonderful comments about UCONN & Geno's program. Very classy. ND is going to be a beast this year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i've always liked Muffett too. i wondered why she didn't have more success in the years immediately following their NC win.

IIRC, there were some people who said she lost some assistants which made a big difference in their recrtruiting (akin to Geno losing Chris Dailey). either way, it may have taken some time, but they are back up near the top of the Big East and the national scene.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Perhaps Muffit's biggest problem has been the requirement to play UConn at least once a year. ND has beaten UConn spectacularly a couple times but I believe the overall record over the past decade is dismal. Helps account for her respectful comments.

Reaction Score
Perhaps Muffit's biggest problem has been the requirement to play UConn at least once a year. ND has beaten UConn spectacularly a couple times but I believe the overall record over the past decade is dismal. Helps account for her respectful comments.

I think she is respectful because she has been coaching with or against Geno starting with High School in Philly. She along with Geno, Phil; Martelli ( St Joe's mens BB) and Jim Foster are part of the Philly coaching mafia. She knows he is a great coach who has developed the best program in the country. Geno has also been respectful of the great coaching job she does at ND. Muffet's team is the favorite this year because she has everyone except Becca back. The ND-UConn games (at least 2 and maybe 3 or 4) will be very competitive and played at the highest level. It will be a treat to watch them.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The above made me curious about Notre Dame's success against you guys, and I glanced at the UConn record book - 43 losses in the last 16 years is incredibly successful. In any case, I see that Notre Dame has beaten UConn only 5 times in that span, although, as a poster noted, a couple were very significant games.

The only programs with more victories against UConn in that span are Tennessee (9) and Rutgers (6). Boston College, Stanford and North Carolina have beaten UConn 3 times and Duke, LaTech and Villanova twice. No one else has beaten you guys more than once, and a good many teams, not at all in 16 years. Truly remarkable.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The above made me curious about Notre Dame's success against you guys, and I glanced at the UConn record book - 43 losses in the last 16 years is incredibly successful. In any case, I see that Notre Dame has beaten UConn only 5 times in that span, although, as a poster noted, a couple were very significant games.

The only programs with more victories against UConn in that span are Tennessee (9) and Rutgers (6). Boston College, Stanford and North Carolina have beaten UConn 3 times and Duke, LaTech and Villanova twice. No one else has beaten you guys more than once, and a good many teams, not at all in 16 years. Truly remarkable.
that's some good research Knight. most of those ND losses came back when they were in the NC hunt for a couple years, winning 1. they had Riley and several other AA players. i never liked Riley's game that much, but boy has she managed to hang around in the WNBA much longer than players i thought were better...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Riley is an excellent supporting player. You have to have them to be successful. In the early days of the WNBA, so were Lobo & Wicks with the Liberty. I actually always likened Riley to Lobo - while they were stars in college, they were much more "pieces of the puzzle" in the WNBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Yeah 5-43 is not very good, but it's better than most. And 2 of those 5 were very big.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Our last back-to-back losses were in 1993. Also remarkable!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think she is respectful because she has been coaching with or against Geno starting with High School in Philly. She along with Geno, Phil; Martelli ( St Joe's mens BB) and Jim Foster are part of the Philly coaching mafia. She knows he is a great coach who has developed the best program in the country. Geno has also been respectful of the great coaching job she does at ND.

Throw Harry Perretta in there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul