Interesting Z comments | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting Z comments

Reaction Score
Let me ask you this...

Stevens participated in practices last year. But was she doing so on offense with Kia/Collier/Samuelson/Chong/Dangerfield? Or was she doing so DEFENDING those players?

There is a big difference in developing team chemistry when you play in practice WITH players as opposed to AGAINST them.
Chemistry isn't just developed in practices---a lot of it happens in --informal games, pickup games, hanging out with your teammates, that develops Chemistry--if it were just about on court during games--there would be no, Paradise Jam, or Italy trips they are NOT about just playing BB.
You got me there. If I were coaching Z--I'd have been using her both ways knowing she'd have to integrate into both the offense and defense with those 4 starters . But certainly, she would have a lot more Defense than offense. Geno has had a year and a half to observe her, make corrections, and adjustments to her instinctive game. More time than he had with other talented players.
Yet fans have seen freshmen jump into the deep waters, with no Div 1 experience, and develop chemistry with the big guys, ala Walker
I could go on to no avail. Each kid is different, Z in my HO will be a Uconn super star and the truth be known: each game Z plays in --she gets better, and it shows. In the ND game she improved by leaps from the first half to the 4th qtr.

Reaction Score
v

Players who learned and played and played and played one louzy system that didn't demand much from them: float with that system and find it hard to adapt to a system with demands--but Z is learning each game--she will find few of these ND type games until the end of the season, but then I expect the REAL AZURA to stand up and be seen..
And don't lose sight of the fact that "Z" knew ( to an extent ) what to expect at UCONN, and she came here because that is what she wanted. Yesterday, she showed that some of UCONN's quality coaching, and demands, are beginning to sink in. When they fully do, watch out. And she doesn't have to win the games all by herself, so the team will elevate as well. I don't even want to imagine how good some of these players might become. Too much fun.

Reaction Score
Very true. I also don't think people fully appreciate the differences in the UCONN & Duke offenses and the impact it has had on Azura's development. Duke calls set plays which are designed to get a designated player a shot from a designated spot therefore at any given time a maximum of 3 Duke players (Ball handler, Player setting the screen and shooter) are involved in an offensive play. UCONN offense spreads the floor, move the ball, and move players until you get an open shot, therefore ever player is involved in every play and all players MUST move to designated open spots on the floor.

I just got home from watching my daughter's team in their first scrimmage of the season...........I was focused on one of the players from the other team who didn't stop moving from the first whistle to the last.........she must have scored at least 30 points many on easy baskets because she was in the right spot to receive the pass time after time..........asked one of the parents from the other school who she was..............turns out she's an all county player who turned down a Princeton offer because she thought playing basketball and studying at that level would be too difficult for her to succeed at both................there's a kid who really knows where she's going...........

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Very true. I also don't think people fully appreciate the differences in the UCONN & Duke offenses and the impact it has had on Azura's development. Duke calls set plays which are designed to get a designated player a shot from a designated spot therefore at any given time a maximum of 3 Duke players (Ball handler, Player setting the screen and shooter) are involved in an offensive play. UCONN offense spreads the floor, move the ball, and move players until you get an open shot, therefore ever player is involved in every play and all players MUST move to designated open spots on the floor.
Thinking man's basketball. [or woman's]

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
And don't lose sight of the fact that "Z" knew ( to an extent ) what to expect at UCONN, and she came here because that is what she wanted. Yesterday, she showed that some of UCONN's quality coaching, and demands, are beginning to sink in. When they fully do, watch out. And she doesn't have to win the games all by herself, so the team will elevate as well. I don't even want to imagine how good some of these players might become. Too much fun.
I was impressed with Z in the second half in that she eschewed taking a three on a few occasions and worked this offense. Learning is happening.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
During a few TO's Geno did give Z an earful. It seems she set the high post unsuccessfully a few times and/or moved to the wrong spot, or gave up on the play a little too early. Z made up for it by beating her mark off the dribble, using good footwork inside and going hard for rebounds. Also people need to understand that Z isn't quite in UConn shape yet, but she's getting there. Nor is she as strong in her upper and lower body as she needs to be, but she'll get there too. Z has a prodigious offensive skill set, and for someone of her size and ability to maintain body control on short jumpers while moving toward the endline is quite special. Z showed a lot of fire against ND, fire I had never seen her display while she played for Duke. Man, I'm sure glad she's on our side.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let me ask you this...

Stevens participated in practices last year. But was she doing so on offense with Kia/Collier/Samuelson/Chong/Dangerfield? Or was she doing so DEFENDING those players?

There is a big difference in developing team chemistry when you play in practice WITH players as opposed to AGAINST them.
As Geno has said, Azura didn't have his full focus last year. He was concentrating on the players who could actually play in games.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There's a saying among musicians: Practice makes permanent.

Not practice makes perfect, because if what you're practicing isn't the way it should be, you'll become consistent, but not good. For example, a lot of players want to play a tune faster than they're able. It thus includes poor phrasing, if not downright mistakes, and then when they speed it up, those imperfections are propagated. Another way a teacher put it to me is that everything you practice should have a purpose.

I think we're discovering that Z must need to unlearn a few things to fully incorporate into the UConn system. At this point, I think everything she's doing in practice DOES have a purpose, and she'll get it by the end of the season.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Let me ask you this...

I say that all the time... how can you be angry and determined against your friends?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom