Interesting way to look at scheduling | The Boneyard

Interesting way to look at scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
This is from a while back but VT/ODU scheduled a total of 7 games with VT hosting 4 and ODU hosting 3. The quote from John Ballein, head of VT football operations, is what is so interesting to me.

"I think it makes perfect sense to play an in-state school that is up and coming, we recruit there, its an opportunity for our fans in that area to see us play, and its an opportunity for ODU fans to see the other side of the state"

This is kind of how I view us playing UMass/Buffalo/Army/Rutgers/BC. Wish this attitude was more prevalent up here instead of consistently trying to put others down in the area.

While I realize both of these schools are in the state of VA and obviously we're the only D1 football in CT, I like to think of New England as one big state for college sports. These teams are all local even if they're out of state and we should all be playing each other.

Edit: forgot the link: http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/11/virginia-tech-old-dominion-schedule-long-term-football-series/

Reaction Score
This is from a while back but VT/ODU scheduled a total of 7 games with VT hosting 4 and ODU hosting 3. The quote from John Ballein, head of VT football operations, is what is so interesting to me.

"I think it makes perfect sense to play an in-state school that is up and coming, we recruit there, its an opportunity for our fans in that area to see us play, and its an opportunity for ODU fans to see the other side of the state"

This is kind of how I view us playing UMass/Buffalo/Army/Rutgers/BC. Wish this attitude was more prevalent up here instead of consistently trying to put others down in the area.

While I realize both of these schools are in the state of VA and obviously we're the only D1 football in CT, I like to think of New England as one big state for college sports. These teams are all local even if they're out of state and we should all be playing each other.

Edit: forgot the link: http://www.fbschedules.com/2013/11/virginia-tech-old-dominion-schedule-long-term-football-series/

You can't make that point without pointing out the obvious difference in talent in New England vs. Virginia.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Why would you think of New England as one big state for college sports?

Reaction Score
Dude - long story short, from 1870-1960 the Ivy League was New England college football. Then they backed out. There was some fumbling around in the 1970's, and a former Ivy League quarterback building a football program at a cow college in rural PA wanted to build a new northeast New England college football league but the Big East basketball conference got in the way. Just be happy we're in division
1A and hope for a team that can beat whoever we can manage to schedule.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

The part that I highlighted is all you need to reference when attempting to understand why VT would do a near even split in home games with a program that is literally ramping up from nothing They've only recently started playing football). The Norfolk region is loaded with athletes. It is basically a miniature version of southern Florida. I'll wager heavily that more football players come from a 30 mile perimeter of ODU every year than all of New England and New York state combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom