Interesting Vic Schaefer quote | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting Vic Schaefer quote

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think you mean it ain't never changing.

I'm one who enjoys vernacular. I think the way I speak depends on whom I'm talking to, where I am (Maine vs. Virginia), etc. It's all good.

Agree 100%. I like the variation of accents and how personality comes through. Vic, Dawn, and Kim are examples of coaches with distinct speaking styles who are all fun to listen to. Speaking of....go to 57:30 for a gem from Kim.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
quality big posts equal easy baskets....when your outside shooting is off or you just need a basket, it's a wonderful thing to have a 6'5" post that can grab an offensive rebound or just bull her way to an easy layup.......every good team should have a couple...;)
I pretty sure that’s what Shafer was saying

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Also having size in the post can do wonders for you defensively. When players are scared of getting their shot blocked, it changes everyone's shots. Just watch ND in the championship game before Cox got hurt.

Reaction Score
So now 6’2” is a “big?”
Height and rebounding/size are not the same. As an example, Morgan Tuck was about 6'2" but had the strength and technique to guard and rebound with anyone several inches taller. In the same sense, ONO is 6'5" but often gets pushed out of rebounding position by stronger but shorter opposition.

Reaction Score
It seems like the discussion about “bigs” is a fluid one, without a consistent understanding of who qualifies as a “big.” I would suggest a definitive definition based on Hartley units, the universal standard of measurement.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Height and rebounding/size are not the same. As an example, Morgan Tuck was about 6'2" but had the strength and technique to guard and rebound with anyone several inches taller. In the same sense, ONO is 6'5" but often gets pushed out of rebounding position by stronger but shorter opposition.
Ok, when, what teams and by saying OFTEN, means close to 50% of the time. I have almost all the games saved and your comment is a FALSEHOOD!
Occasionally she would get pushed out, just like Pheesa often pushed out her bigger opponents. In postseason play, Liv was very good and was not pushed around at all. Please stop with the exaggerations. Head bang

Reaction Score
So now 6’2” is a “big?”
I have no idea what "big" means, since it is subjective and often depends on the skillset/mindset of the player. Some players play bigger than their actual height and vice versa. My comment was simply "quality players of size".

Do you not believe Williams, Jones and Cash were quality players of size???

Reaction Score
Stokes and Samuelson were both listed at 6'3", I believe. Tell me............................who's the "big"???

Reaction Score
Stokes and Samuelson were both listed at 6'3", I believe. Tell me........who's the "big"???
Bingo. To me 6’4” and up is usually a big, and 6’3” CAN be a big, if you’re “big.” Cash was a “quality player of size,” just not “big” size. (Jones, on the other hand, was pretty big for 6’2”.)

Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Gabby Williams was a BIG, because she played BIG....I believe she was 5'11".

Reaction Score
This entire conversation leaves out the dimension of length. Kiah Stokes, while "only" 6' 3", is quite long. And Stewie, at 6' 4", has the length of a seven footer. Height -- the distance from the floor to the top of a player's head -- matters when it comes to seeing over the defense, but is often less relevant to rebounding, off-ball defense, and shot blocking than is length.

Reaction Score
Regarding having 3 players 6'5" and taller on his roster. "If you can run, got hands and have size, you’ve got a chance. You can’t never have too many bigs. You win with guard play, but you win championships with size.” This from a coach with zero championships? I guess he was thinking I had one BIG but Mulkey had two BIGs. Notre Dame had two BIGs the previous year.

"can't never" - really Vic?!

Not quite sure what he means by size, but you win with both. South Carolina was more effective when they had Wilson and went smaller for more minutes I think. Louisville knocked out arguably the best center ever on wcbb with the 3-ball. If the opposing team is hitting 3's what are the 6'5 players going to do unless you are "Stewart" and can guard outside?

I prefer great guard play if i had to choose but you need some size.

Reaction Score
He's always said that you win championships with guard play and size. I'm not sure where that quote came from, but, in multiple press conferences, he's said you win with guard play and size.

He places a huge premium on guard development and turnovers. Two things Vic will bench you for are turnovers and not playing D.

I might shed a tear if he really did use a double negative like that though. I've heard him say "ain't" but not "can't never." Mercy.

Reaction Score
Not quite sure what he means by size, but you win with both.

I'm not 100% sure either, but I've always thought he meant size in general. The reason I think that is because he used to talk about how he worried about the 2018 team because they were a small guard lineup.

He's always said that you need both guard play and size to win championships, so I'm not sure why he only said size in that quote.

Reaction Score
3 quality players with size, with 2 (Jones/Williams) being trucks and the 3rd being a race horse.
6'2 is size???? .... I know wide bodies mean something but hearing everybody talking about 6'5" all the time, I don't agree that this constitutes most people's interpretation of SIZE!

Reaction Score
This entire conversation leaves out the dimension of length. Kiah Stokes, while "only" 6' 3", is quite long. And Stewie, at 6' 4", has the length of a seven footer. Height -- the distance from the floor to the top of a player's head -- matters when it comes to seeing over the defense, but is often less relevant to rebounding, off-ball defense, and shot blocking than is length.
I don't think Stewart had the length of a seven footer, not even close ..... quite an exaggeration though I concede she played bigger than the typical 6'4" player .....

Reaction Score
6'2 is size???? .... I know wide bodies mean something but hearing everybody talking about 6'5" all the time, I don't agree that this constitutes most people's interpretation of SIZE!
6'2" could be size, or not. It completely depends in the player. A textbook example is Lou. At 6'3", Samuelson did not play like a big. As for Jones, Williams and Cash, all in inch shorter than Lou, they definitely played as though they were quality players of "size". Especially Williams and Jones on the block. It was VERY difficult to displace them on either end.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I don't think Stewart had the length of a seven footer, not even close ..... quite an exaggeration though I concede she played bigger than the typical 6'4" player .....
Google "Breanna Stewart wingspan" and you will find that is 7' 1". There are plenty of 7 footers in the NBA with the same wingspan. Unless, of course, you prefer your own uninformed opinions to the facts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom