Interesting Twitter Thread about HS Grades this Year | The Boneyard

Interesting Twitter Thread about HS Grades this Year

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Yes, I believe this is Azzi's father.

I was wondering what the High Schools were going to do about graduates this year and grades now adds problems to potential college athletes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To some degree, P/F grades are perfectly acceptable for non-core courses like PE or Art classes. But as Mr. Fudd points out College Admissions views P/F grades as a warning sign in core courses like math, science and English. With that said, I don’t think Azzi has to worry about getting accepted at any of her potential college choices.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
At my University, we have adopted a P/F (or more exactly a CR / NCR) system for grading but it is instituted only after the professor provides a grade based on whatever partial work (exams before quarantine) and remote work is handed in. Then the student based on that grade has the option to request the P (CR) grade.

Since it up to the student, using the P (CR) option on core classes is still a "red flag".

Maybe at the HS level it is different and not a student driven option but I doubt that any system is in place that is not in the students favor during this time.

Reaction Score
Typically the Pass Fail would send off a huge red flag. However, we all know that this is an unusual year with unusual circumstances. If people have a P/F then the NCAA will have to take the time to go back and review all the data and not assume it is a D as Mr. Fudd has stated. They will have to spend more time checking into the student.... and see if every other semester the student was an A student... that these Passes were probably gonna be A's. If the student had one D the rest were B's... that most likely they would have been B's. If they had A's in the Humanities, and C's in the Math and Sciences... they would most likely would have been A's and C's. "These are the times that try Men's souls"....... So it is now time to use some "Common Sense"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Typically the Pass Fail would send off a huge red flag. However, we all know that this is an unusual year with unusual circumstances. If people have a P/F then the NCAA will have to take the time to go back and review all the data and not assume it is a D as Mr. Fudd has stated. They will have to spend more time checking into the student.... and see if every other semester the student was an A student... that these Passes were probably gonna be A's. If the student had one D the rest were B's... that most likely they would have been B's. If they had A's in the Humanities, and C's in the Math and Sciences... they would most likely would have been A's and C's. "These are the times that try Men's souls"....... So it is now time to use some "Common Sense"
Sure, but you're talking about the NCAA.

Reaction Score
PG County in Maryland is doing Pass/Incomplete for the 4th quarter with a notation on transcripts that 4th quarter was a distance learning quarter. The final grades for classes are the average of the 3 quarters that were completed.

Reaction Score
I would hope colleges would know this is because of the virus and take into consideration ..but who knows..

The individual colleges have nothing to do with this, this is in regards to the NCAA Eligibility Center.

Reaction Score
At the high school where I teach, we are NOT going to pass/fail specifically because student-athletes would not be approved through the NCAA clearinghouse. (Of course-- it's the NCAA.) But when I checked on Wednesday or Thursday, the NCAA also said they were going to release an update after the weekend.

Reaction Score
Some high schools in my area are still given classes online so their students do not miss much.

Reaction Score
As a high school teacher in MA, our district is still giving grades. Caveat being that the grades are largely participation and enrichment work as not all students have the same access to internet, and as a tech school, many of our students were able to gain employment to support their families after other families lost their jobs in the crisis. Policies still seem to be evolving with the situation though, and I don't know if this is a state mandate for grades to be received yet at this point, but I'll let y'all know after my next faculty meeting Wednesday!

Reaction Score
So the NCAA has now allowed for a Pass/Fail option for high school student/athletes, which will still allow them through the NCAA clearinghouse.

Reaction Score
Looks like I called it..... I am also going to go out on a limb and say that Lamont closes schools for the rest of the year... however, I bet he will not announce that until around May 1st....

Reaction Score
Looks like I called it.....

Well, this isn't quite going to be the way it goes:

"For NCAA-approved core courses completed in Spring/Summer 2020 that have been issued a grade of “Pass,” the Eligibility Center will apply the credit earned in these courses toward the corecourse requirement in the student's certification. If the student's core-course GPA would increase by assigning a value of 2.300, this value will be assigned to the Passed courses. However, if the student's core-course GPA would decrease by including the 2.300 value for Passed courses, the student’s core-course GPA will be calculated based only on courses with assigned letter grades from other available terms (credit from these courses will still be applied toward the student's corecourse requirements)."

Reaction Score
My district is giving grades for all marking periods in the high school for the purpose of college sports and acceptances. Middle school is moving to pass/fail.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom