Interesting thought from John A. | The Boneyard

Interesting thought from John A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In his season-opening chat today (see the links to the blogs above):

"Just thought I would throw this out. The Minnesota Lynx own Washington's first-round pick in the 2012 WNBA Draft. If they win the lottery, and EDD comes out, she could end up playing with Maya after all."

In any case, Minnesota will have a lottery pick--Elena, Nneka, someone pretty darn good. Maya wound up in a good situation! And she is making it even better.

Hmm. On the floor, we could have Augustus, Moore, Wiggins, DelleDonne, and one other. Firepower!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i assume he means "if EDD comes out" as she has 2 years elig. left. with her mandatory year of sitting out due to transferring, she is effectively part of caroline and and heather's class now... given how much she wants to stay close to home and her sister, i'd "guess" she'd decide to stay close to home as long as possible... which means IMHO, no way does she graduate early and head to the WNBA. it's not like her family needs the $ or that WNBA players make that much anyway...

Reaction Score
So, the expectation is that Elena Delle Donne will be among the first few picks in next year's WNBA draft should she choose to come out early?
I wish Ms Delle Donne the best of luck, but would not waste a high draft pick on her. However, I am speaking as if there is a large pool of talent from which to draw. As a hypothetical Minnesota GM, I would waive that carrot of a first round choice in front of teams willing and desperate to trade. Minnesota, right now, needs someone to replace Taj McWilliams-Franklin; a banger, a post presence down low on both ends of the floor. That does not sound like EDD. If Minnesota is unable to work out a two for one trade of draft picks, and is obligated to use that pick acquired from Washington, then they will just have to settle ;) for Nnemkadi Ogwumike. And yes, Maya's situation has been made even better.

My risky move as the hypothetical GM? Just blow off next year's draft and maneuver for the first pick in 2013.

Reaction Score
Why in the world would she leave college and come out early? She, apparently, left UConn (relatively nearby) out of a desire to stay close to home and deal with ongoing family issues. But she's now going to then leave to play in Minnesota? Or Tulsa, Chicago, San Antonio or Los Angeles? Then what? Russia? Europe?

This is just plain silly...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Is everyone confident that the WNBA is a part of Delle Donne's future plans. She'a a smart young woman from a successful family. She might opt for a more rewarding and lucrative career.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
I saw part of that chat. To me the more interesting question that arose would be what would have happened this season if Minny never made the trade with CT. The Lynx this year would have had Tina Charles and Renee and the Sun would have had Whalen and Miss Maya. Sure, it doesn't mean anything, but I wonder how different things would have been. I think the Sun needed Tina than Minny would have.

Still rooting for the Lynx...want to the streak of consecutive WNBA champs that have Lady Huskies on board.

Reaction Score
She was 18 years old. People change their minds all the time, and they certainly do at that age. Is that hard to given someone the benefit of the doubt that they matured between the ages of 18 and 21? Many people said she would never play USA Basketball and she just did that.
Why in the world would she leave college and come out early? She, apparently, left UConn (relatively nearby) out of a desire to stay close to home and deal with ongoing family issues. But she's now going to then leave to play in Minnesota? Or Tulsa, Chicago, San Antonio or Los Angeles? Then what? Russia? Europe?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I saw part of that chat. To me the more interesting question that arose would be what would have happened this season if Minny never made the trade with CT. The Lynx this year would have had Tina Charles and Renee and the Sun would have had Whalen and Miss Maya. Sure, it doesn't mean anything, but I wonder how different things would have been. I think the Sun needed Tina than Minny would have.

Still rooting for the Lynx...want to the streak of consecutive WNBA champs that have Lady Huskies on board.

The Sun pick that went to Minny was the 4th pick, not the one they used to select Maya.

Reaction Score
i assume he means "if EDD comes out" as she has 2 years elig. left. with her mandatory year of sitting out due to transferring, she is effectively part of caroline and and heather's class now... given how much she wants to stay close to home and her sister, i'd "guess" she'd decide to stay close to home as long as possible... which means IMHO, no way does she graduate early and head to the WNBA. it's not like her family needs the $ or that WNBA players make that much anyway...

One reason a player stays in college is the extra year of coaching to grow & develop. At Delaware, that is not so much the case.

She seems to have a desire to play in the Olympics; if that's the case and she's got all her credits to graduate, it will not surprise me if she jumps to the WNBA. The season is so short, the time commitment is really not that great.

And there's a huge difference between age 18 and 22.

Reaction Score

Wow, you must not know many 18/22 year olds, or have forgotten what it's like. There's a huge growing process at that age.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just a note here: Bill Fennelly...the coach of the USA World team which won the gold in Chile
this past summer....said that 'the kid from Delaware was our best player'....they had serious, serious talent on that squad including Nneke and Skylar among many others. Minnesota is in an enviable place to make a run at the WNBA crown for several years.

Reaction Score
Wow, you must not know many 18/22 year olds, or have forgotten what it's like. There's a huge growing process at that age.

I know plenty, having spent many summers counseling, and a few years coaching.

I am not denying the massive growth and change in sensibilities that occur during those years. But this is a special case, and a special person whose apparently cares deeply about things outside of basketball and whose family situation has not changed. This is going on only three years removed from what had to be the most difficult decision of her life. If UConn was untenable then, why would anyone think Minnesota or Los Angeles or wherever would be now?

Reaction Score
Just because her family situation hasn't changed doesn't mean her feelings about haven't changed. She also said at the time they didn't enjoy playing basketball. She certainly changed her mind about that. Students change their minds about going away for college all the time, often because of difficult family circumstances that pull them back home. That doesn't mean they don't ever leave home as adults even though their family situation hasn't changed. Just from my own experience, I was an almost completely different person at age 22 than I was at 18.

I am not denying the massive growth and change in sensibilities that occur during those years. But this is a special case, and a special person whose apparently cares deeply about things outside of basketball and whose family situation has not changed. This is going on only three years removed from what had to be the most difficult decision of her life. If UConn was untenable then, why would anyone think Minnesota or Los Angeles or wherever would be now?

Reaction Score

I don't know why you find this concept so difficult to grasp. At age 18 I had never been away from home and had no desire to be far from my family (and went to school within an hour from home). But being on my own in college was a crucial transitional step; after that, it was a lot easier to go wherever I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom