Interesting theme from Navy during the conference call... | The Boneyard

Interesting theme from Navy during the conference call...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
From the comments they made during the presser, you'd think that Navy and the Big East honchos were trying to send a not-so-subtle hint to BYU, ND and/or Army that independent status in football is not sustainable going forward.

Anyone who was listening in, did you get the same sense?...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I listened to the conference call on tape on the Big East website. One of the first points Marinatto made that I think has gone unnoticed on all the Navy threads on this board (there are at least 4 and I stopped reading most of them so the point may have been made and I just missed it) but the exit fee has now been doubled effective immediately. This is big for UConn, if our prayers of being extended an invite elsewhere are ever answered.

As for the possible subtle messages to BYU and/or Notre Dame: Navy certainly explained their reasoning for feeling joining a conference was necessary. Could it be an attempt to try to sway those two schools to join? Certainly, but I looked at it like Navy was talking about strictly their own thought process.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Fair point Matt... though, while $10 mil is significant, I don't think it's insurmountable if we ever do get that invite.

Reaction Score
Fair point Matt... though, while $10 mil is significant, I don't think it's insurmountable if we ever do get that invite.

They should have had the smarts to up the exit fee to 15 million the day they rejected the ESPN offer. At least we would have received some serious coin from the departing schools.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
the exit fee has now been doubled effective immediately. This is big for UConn, if our prayers of being extended an invite elsewhere are ever answered.
Chump change. Based on our current TV deal, we'd make that back in a year.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Chump change. Based on our current TV deal, we'd make that back in a year.

To be clear, I don't think the new exit fee would preclude us from accepting an invite to a new league should we receive one, but at the same time, paying a higher fee may take money out of the budget to pay for coaches, repairs to facilities, etc. Hopefully it would have no major impact on the competitiveness of all of our programs.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i would be ok with a big east that was

uconn/ruty/nd/navy/army/usf/ucf/ecu
lville/cincy/smu/uh/bosie/sdsu//byu

but thats a pipe dream. i mean if nd finally said were going somewhere, dont you think the acc would say pick #16(navy uconn ruty or who ever). wouldnt the b10 say ok we would be cool with navy and nd with 2 others...

my dream is still that 18 is the answer and not 16. each league can have 2 divisions of 9 with a conf ship between the 2 divisions for the auot bid, that would max tv $$ and keep most rivals happy. a round robin and bball and that 4 confs of 18 redo the bcs to a 4 team playoff with 1 auto bid for each.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If ND joins, the BE would be on par with the B12 as I believe one or two teams would elevate themselves to play OU/OSU to ND's Texas.

Now that Navy is in, I don't see why they should stay out. BE would be coast to coast, they could keep the USC game. Navy is now a conference game. Is it really so important to play Michigan, Stanford, Purdue and BC every year?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

MattMang23

Reaction Score
BC yes, they're the second most important team in the country, after Notre Dame.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BC yes, they're the second most important team in the country, after Notre Dame.

ND plays BC, we play Buffalo. Same difference SOS-wise. :p

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If ND joins, the BE would be on par with the B12 as I believe one or two teams would elevate themselves to play OU/OSU to ND's Texas.

It's late and I'm tired.

So I cannot be sure that this post is as off the duck*ing wall as I think it is.

It is me?

Reaction Score

Now that Navy is in, I don't see why they should stay out. BE would be coast to coast, they could keep the USC game. Navy is now a conference game. Is it really so important to play Michigan, Stanford, Purdue and BC every year?

It's not even worth dreaming about Notre Dame. Why would they join the Big East? They can go to any conference they want to. Would you pick the Big East over the Big 10 or ACC?

Reaction Score
ND is not going to join the BE in football as much as we all would love to see it happen. They've had plenty of time to join and could have joined when we still had Miami, BC, Pitt, Cuse, and WVU. I just don't see why some people continue to think there is any chance that ND will ever join the Big East for football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom