Interesting stats from the combined six games. | The Boneyard

Interesting stats from the combined six games.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Studied the cumulative stats for 6 games. Found these interesting as we wait for the Seton Hall game on the 5th.

—3 players have averaged over 36 minutes a game. Show yourself to the door if you don’t know which three.
—Anna Makurat leads in assists with 22 but is fifth in minutes with 122.
—Aubrey Griffin leads in steals with 11.
—The Huskies are shooting 37% from 3-point range. Take away CW and Anna who are a combined 13-49 and the percentage would be 43%.
—Kyla Irvin has played 94 minutes, 79 in the last three games. She also does not have a steal and has committed only 3 turnovers. As has been noted, she is 11-12 from the field.
—The Huskies have 66 offensive rebounds, their opponents 79.
—UConn is shooting over 69% from the line. Seems to be lower than previous years.
—UConn has committed 75 turnovers which means an average of 12.5 a game. There have been years when the average has been under 10.
—Megan Walker is averaging 8.8 rebounds a game to go with her 20.3 PPG.
—LIv has 28 blocks. Walker is next with 3.
—Speaking of Liv, of her 61 rebounds, 30 are offensive.
—CD is the top foul shooter at 86%. I will let you guess who is next at 79%. Give yourself a gold star if you said ONO. Aubrey is the lowest, for those with attempts, at 43%.
—The team is averaging 75 points a game while allowing 51.5.

The stats came from the team's website. The above prove that I am a weak imitator of DavidNaples.

Reaction Score
This year's team IS an unusual collection of talents, and their record thus far I think is a credit to Geno, Chris, et al for their knack for cobbling together the best version of what they have to work with.

I HAVE been concerned about the disparity in offensive rebounds, which I believe is partly a product of the team's collective height shortage (pardon the pun), but is also due to what I perceive as not much blocking out. Kyla has a talent for it, and Olivia gets better at it with every game, but Crystal does more of it than the rest of the players, and she's the point guard. I feel a focus on that part of the game will be rewarded in knuckle-biting games to come.

Other than that, I've been delighted with what I've seen. I didn't see the Dayton game, but of the games I've seen, they've gelled better, passed better, played better help defense, ball hawked more, made better cuts, and generally played better with each successive game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Relative to offensive rebounds we sometimes lose sight of the obvious. Teams that shoot a higher percentage from the field have fewer opportunities for offensive rebounds. So far this season UConn is shooting around 47%. UConn’s opponents are shooting around 31%.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Relative to offensive rebounds we sometimes lose sight of the obvious. Teams that shoot a higher percentage from the field have fewer opportunities for offensive rebounds. So far this season UConn is shooting around 47%. UConn’s opponents are shooting around 31%.
Yea, one reason opponents get more offensive rebounds is because there are more off rebounds available to get. UCONN does limit some of these though, usually, with giving the opponent fewer shots.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
UConn has missed 200 shots, so 66 offensive rebounds is a rate of 0.33. Opponents have missed 260 shots; 79 OREB is a rate of 0.303.

The opponents haven’t generally been rebounding machines, so the results aren’t too impressive, neither are they worthy of hand wringing.

Reaction Score
Terrific thread from top to bottom. We are appreciative of the time, effort, and talent displayed throughout.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The fact that a part time starter is the assist leader says a lot about this team's struggles. Until more players raise their assists numbers, the offense will struggle to play well all four quarters. Still, if they had hit more layups and free throws, they would be very close to averaging eighty points a game. When that happens, UConn will reach the level of play we are used to seeing.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The fact that a part time starter is the assist leader says a lot about this team's struggles. Until more players raise their assists numbers, the offense will struggle to play well all four quarters. Still, if they had hit more layups and free throws, they would be very close to averaging eighty points a game. When that happens, UConn will reach the level of play we are used to seeing.

The team is averaging about 18 assists per game, which is IIRC down about 3 from recent years. But they have 6 players averaging around 2.5 assists or more, and in 6 games they’ve had 4 different players lead in assists. The UConn point guards often don’t have gaudy assist numbers because the offense is designed so that there are so many passes in the half court.

Reaction Score
Studied the cumulative stats for 6 games. Found these interesting as we wait for the Seton Hall game on the 5th.

—3 players have averaged over 36 minutes a game. Show yourself to the door if you don’t know which three.
—Anna Makurat leads in assists with 22 but is fifth in minutes with 122.
—Aubrey Griffin leads in steals with 11.
—The Huskies are shooting 37% from 3-point range. Take away CW and Anna who are a combined 13-49 and the percentage would be 43%.
—Kyla Irvin has played 94 minutes, 79 in the last three games. She also does not have a steal and has committed only 3 turnovers. As has been noted, she is 11-12 from the field.
—The Huskies have 66 offensive rebounds, their opponents 79.
—UConn is shooting over 69% from the line. Seems to be lower than previous years.
—UConn has committed 75 turnovers which means an average of 12.5 a game. There have been years when the average has been under 10.
—Megan Walker is averaging 8.8 rebounds a game to go with her 20.3 PPG.
—LIv has 28 blocks. Walker is next with 3.
—CD is the top foul shooter at 86%. I will let you guess who is next at 79%. Give yourself a gold star if you said ONO. Aubrey is the lowest, for those with attempts, at 43%.
—The team is averaging 75 points a game while allowing 51.5.

The stats came from the team's website. The above prove that I am a weak imitator of DavidNaples.
I believe DavidNNaples would say Well Done. However near the end ---CD is the Top Foul shooter---why not she has been practicing at Uconn for 35 year, she is bound to be better than all, I would think.
Olivia last year was a weak if not really a terrible foul shooter--big cheer for ONO.

Reaction Score
As a coach, you can tell your players to "crash the boards" [offensive rebounds] .. OR .. get back on defense [stop transition] .. I prefer the latter :)

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Rerminds me of what Geno once said about Tina Charles. Tina had so many offensive rebounds because most of her offensive rebounds were off of her many missed layups. Same issue for Olivia? :rolleyes:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Rerminds me of what Geno once said about Tina Charles. She had so many offensive rebounds because she couldn't make a layup. Same issue for Olivia? :rolleyes:
On many of Liv's layup misses I believe she was fouled, but the officials didn't call it. Heck in the Dayton game, the officials swallowed the whistles on fouls because they were too busy calling those (unseen by everyone else) travels.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom