Interesting statement... | The Boneyard

Interesting statement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Was rewatching the L'Ville-Baylor game (it's summer break for me, I'm bored) and during the broadcast, Lobo says that Odyssey has never taken a stand up charge in a game.

What's more, she apparently told Lobo that she never would, because she didn't want to "hurt this" and pointed at her torso.

HUH? Can you ever imagine a UConn player saying that to the press? Or actually saying it at all? And I don't believe for a second that it has anything to do with her knee injury, because I know I've seen Doty take more than a few charges since her surgeries...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
LOL, no UCONN player would ever consider such a statement.

Reaction Score
Its really unbelievable that a first team all-american would make a statement like that.

Reaction Score
Just shows the difference in character between players who come here vs. the outside world.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Amazing. Obviously, Odyssey does not at on the Duke men's team.

I've seen Caroline get wiped out on several charges, including the non-call against Diggins at the end of regulation in the 2012 Final Four.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Was rewatching the L'Ville-Baylor game (it's summer break for me, I'm bored) and during the broadcast, Lobo says that Odyssey has never taken a stand up charge in a game.

What's more, she apparently told Lobo that she never would, because she didn't want to "hurt this" and pointed at her torso.

HUH? Can you ever imagine a UConn player saying that to the press? Or actually saying it at all? And I don't believe for a second that it has anything to do with her knee injury, because I know I've seen Doty take more than a few charges since her surgeries...

So they didn't show footage of Odyssey saying this? Lobo said that Sims said she didn't want to "hurt this" and said that Sims pointed to her torso?

I think I would like to see the footage of Sims statements. Does that exist?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
So they didn't show footage of Odyssey saying this? Lobo said that Sims said she didn't want to "hurt this" and said that Sims pointed to her torso?

I think I would like to see the footage of Sims statements. Does that exist?
No, there was no footage of Sims saying it. Lobo said it during a broadcast. It was a pretty specific statement.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No, there was no footage of Sims saying it. Lobo said it during a broadcast. It was a pretty specific statement.

This was during the Louisville vs Baylor broadcast that Lobo quoted Sims? I have the game recorded bu haven't been able to watch it but now I may need to.

Reaction Score
This was during the Louisville vs Baylor broadcast that Lobo quoted Sims? I have the game recorded bu haven't been able to watch it but now I may need to.

You don't have to watch much. It happened about 1 minute into the game.

The charge that amazed me was Danielle Adams taking one from Taurasi a week or two ago. Danielle went down like like the Titanic. The collision seemed to defy the laws of physics given Danielle seems to have bulked up since college. She must have a heart the size of Secretariat's the way she can move that bulk.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Considering that a charge call against the Bears' Hayden with 16 seconds to go was one of the big plays in the frenetic last moments of the Baylor-Lville S16 game, it is ironic that a Bear would be heard making a statement like that before the team exited. On the other hand, since SB Nation's Our Daily Bears coverage complained about how long it took the refs to finally start making the foul calls to get Shoni Schimmel, Bria Smith, and Sara Hammond out of the game, Sims might be forgiven a little for thinking that you might not get the reward you expect if you give up your body.

However, the Bears are perfecting the run-out-and-undercut-the-shooter charge play that they used to get Smith out of the game with 2 minutes left and down 6, a play that turned the game completely their way and almost won it for them. With that play you are usually sacrificing the shooter's body and well-being and not your own, so that should give Sims something to work with.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It's one thing to hate taking charges (God knows I did) but it's quite another to publicly say that you will never do it. How would that make your teammates feel, especially when they are expected to do it?

There were some serious issues with team chemistry this year at Baylor, which have become all the more apparent after Griner graduated. (Not trying to change the topic here, but this quote from Sims just adds to that theory.)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I know I'm a dreamer, but I'd love to not see inferences about a person's character based on a single quote.
True, and no one can question Sims for lack of resolve after she led the Baylor charge back from a 19 point deficit against the Cards with the 29 points, 10 rebounds, and 6 steals. The Bears' problem in the game though was not so much the offense but rather the 82 points given up on defense. And with Griner around to swat away the shots, it might possibly also have been a team attitude that taking the charge is not such a big priority. We'll see how things shake out with the Baylor defense next year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Chris Dailey was known to chide Barbara Turner for not taking charges. CD would likely say that BT took one charge in her entire career and that was at the end of her senior year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dick Fosbury learned the Fosbury Flop from Coach K. :)

The Duke men are very adept at taking charges, but in my view, do it too much and get borderline calls in their favor with remarkable consistency.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
OK. I heard it. It was a comment from her freshman year. Seriously, this is worthy of a thread criticizing Sims? And is an indication of her character?

I guess when people need something ugly to say there is always the option of quoting a player from her freshman year. And unless I hear Sims say it and the inflection in her voice I put little importance on this. She could very well have said it in a numerous tone.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I know I'm a dreamer, but I'd love to not see inferences about a person's character based on a single quote.

Character has nothing to do with taking a charge or not. To imply that this shows lack of character shows, well, lack of character.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

Is there any chance that impugning a young person’s character, with BoneYard posts, can be stopped…not by mods, but by poster(s) doing the damage.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
IMO, the way she plays the game shows great basketball character.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Character has nothing to do with taking a charge or not. To imply that this shows lack of character shows, well, lack of character.
Let me be clear I was not making comment one way or another on Sims. I was simply noting that if the comment is narcissistic it is a matter of character. ETT comment was questioning that such a comment could say something about character which it certainly could. Thus I immediately had noted "possibly." Way premature based on one brief media comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom