interesting parallel--dominance in womens hoops and volleyball | Page 2 | The Boneyard

interesting parallel--dominance in womens hoops and volleyball

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
My daughter played college volleyball and basketball .. basketball requires more skill and conditioning .. you don't have to run very far in v-ball and there is a lotta contact in b-ball, i.e. requires more strength
You would never know that looking at the vast majority of WCBB teams. In fact, WCBB has one of the worst Body fat percentages of all women's sport. Here is a sample of 5 sports tracked by a study at UT Austin.
Body Composition Trends in Collegiate Female Athletes - Fitness, body composition, women's fitness

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You would never know that looking at the vast majority of WCBB teams. In fact, WCBB has one of the worst Body fat percentages of all women's sport. Here is a sample of 5 sports tracked by a study at UT Austin.
Body Composition Trends in Collegiate Female Athletes - Fitness, body composition, women's fitness's fitness

Volleyball players are typically built longer/leaner since much of the game comes down to leaping ability. Best players are usually ones who can reach the highest, so those players typically carry less fat.

In basketball you can be overweight and use it to your benefit. Sheer size is often a huge asset. Just look at the Paris twins or Danielle Adams. Physical strength and size is much less important in volleyball than height and jumping ability.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Body Composition Trends in Collegiate Female Athletes - Fitness, body composition, women's fitness's fitness

I think it would be fairly obvious if you watched much women's basketball and volleyball. Volleyball requires mostly quickness and leaping ability. Basketball mostly requires quickness, leaping ability, but also speed, strength and some endurance.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I know they have only lost 2 sets all season!! Wisconsin was no 4 and they beat them at home that weekend. Pressley is an absolute beast of an athlete. I love the coach also. It's funny because he has a totally different demeanor than the basketball coach. (lol) He has really turned this program around.

Stanford just got clobbered at home by Washington....look for Baylor to climb to #1 tomorrow!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford just got clobbered at home by Washington....look for Baylor to climb to #1 tomorrow!

And Washington lost the previous match on the road to Washington St. This has been a strange year in volleyball so far. Appears to be more parity than normal.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
And Washington lost the previous match on the road to Washington St. This has been a strange year in volleyball so far. Appears to be more parity than normal.

Definitely. I'm just stunned at how underwhelming Stanford has been despite their insane schedule. They nearly went down 2-1 against both Cal and Penn State, almost lost to Texas, too. The schedule is much easier the rest of the year but I thought they'd cruise through this season like UCONN did during the Stewart era.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Some of the matches were close, but I was still impressed w/ Stanford's non conference results. The BYU loss was eye opening though.

During the first week of play, 8 of 12 teams in the Pac went 1-1. So pretty much anybody can beat anybody else at this early juncture of the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom