Interesting Geno quote in Jeff Jacob's article | The Boneyard

Interesting Geno quote in Jeff Jacob's article

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"There are a lot of things that bother me about our guards," Auriemma said. "I don't think we do a great job of getting the ball into the post as we should. I think we spend way too much time dribbling sideways and not attacking the rim. But the one thing I love about our guards, especially these two (Moriah and Bria), is they are not afraid of the big moments."

We saw lots of big moments last year, tense moments that resulted in some tough, tough losses to Notre Dame, but ultimately gave way to another national championship moment in New Orleans. This year had been devoid of dramatic games. A 17-point win at Maryland, with Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Morgan Tuck out injured, is what had passed as drama. Good grief, entering the game UConn's winning margin was 38.2 points and that included games against three of the top eight teams in the nation.

This night was much, much different. Baylor is good at basketball. Baylor is terrific at competing. And with 9,145 fans screaming and the music vibrating Ferrell Center, this night would be a daunting challenge.

LINK

Reaction Score
PAP: Nice pick. Loved the part where he says, "way too much time dribbling sideways....." Actually, he could have stopped prior to "sideways," especially re Hartley. Next step: DO something about it, now that it is recognized.

Agree with you that Baylor does compete.....wish we had that freshman kid who battled on the boards. Am thinking we might have one or several of our own such freshmen next year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
PAP: Nice pick. Loved the part where he says, "way too much time dribbling sideways....." Actually, he could have stopped prior to "sideways," especially re Hartley. Next step: DO something about it, now that it is recognized.

Agree with you that Baylor does compete.....wish we had that freshman kid who battled on the boards. Am thinking we might have one or several of our own such freshmen next year.
Ours was out with a knee issue.

Reaction Score
"There are a lot of things that bother me about our guards," Auriemma said. "I don't think we do a great job of getting the ball into the post as we should. I think we spend way too much time dribbling sideways and not attacking the rim. But the one thing I love about our guards, especially these two (Moriah and Bria), is they are not afraid of the big moments."

We saw lots of big moments last year, tense moments that resulted in some tough, tough losses to Notre Dame, but ultimately gave way to another national championship moment in New Orleans. This year had been devoid of dramatic games. A 17-point win at Maryland, with Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Morgan Tuck out injured, is what had passed as drama. Good grief, entering the game UConn's winning margin was 38.2 points and that included games against three of the top eight teams in the nation.

This night was much, much different. Baylor is good at basketball. Baylor is terrific at competing. And with 9,145 fans screaming and the music vibrating Ferrell Center, this night would be a daunting challenge.

LINK
Thanks for the quote. I like the fact that our guards can materially improve their play. Imagine how much better the team will play in the league and NCAA tournaments when they get the ball in the post the way Geno wants them to.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Always remember what Diana used to say

"We felt like the worst team on the planet from November to February. Then in March we felt invincible!" (paraphrase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom