OT: - Interesting Facts (history, geography, science, etc.) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Interesting Facts (history, geography, science, etc.)

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I guess because their wives wanted a good view of the lake. Lol

I did not know this, but did just remember seeing it in one the lumberjack competition.

What is a springboard logging?
Springboards were an innovation that allowed loggers to more easily fell trees with a flared base, such as firs. Notches were cut into the tree above the base; the logger then wedged in the springboard, on which he stood to chop and saw the tree down

Reaction Score
This may be relatively common knowledge, but I just learned it yesterday: the actor who plays Saul Berenson in Homeland was Inigo Montoya in Princess Bride.

I think I realized it halfway through S1, mind was truly blown, I couldn't look at him as Saul anymore!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
If your interested in a good book concerning trees and forests The Overstory by Richard Powers is an excellent read.
On an unrelated note, the same actress (Sarah Holcomb) played the mayor's daughter in Animal House and Maggie O'Hooligan in Caddy Shack.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
E6T4tFRWEAE53eo.jpg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
The White Ash die off in Connecticut is easy to see throughout the state, the pale green blotches on the bark and the few healthy leaves on the tree. It’s also a medium sized tree on average and is not a good lumber tree as it rots quickly when exposed to soil and water. It is however, being hard and dense, good for baseball bats and tool handles. Woodworkers though call it a “poor cousin” to oak or maple. As to your American Chestnut numbers, it was over 4 billion during the 1920’s, and remember if you consider the massive size of just one mature American Chestnut before the blight, 4 billion towering American Chestnut trees made billions and billions of board feet of rot resistant beams and lumber, that is still being reclaimed today in old barns and the demolition of old homes. Also, let’s not forget all those chestnuts. Lol. The chestnut blight was a terrible economic and ecological disaster, the White Ash die off, while serious, pales in comparison. The article below written by Mr Bruce Carley is sad, and demonstrates what valuable resource the American Chestnut was, and how it’s demise caused the extinction of many species of insects and birds that lived in it’s branches.

while i agree with the overall purpose of that article, some of the arguments within are flat out wrong. to wit;
'this tree was truly the emperor of the eastern forests,'
'It also was our most economically important tree,'
'the most highly esteemed of all native lumbers.'
no. rather than words to defend my opinion, i'll leave this logo for the storrs agricultural school, which when began, found our forests full of chestnut trees, giving them the full range of choices to pick from.

uconn-logo-png-transparent.png

that would be the mighty white oak. nothing seems to bother it, and it makes a great boat, or floor, or many other things, and today in the timber markets, has mostly blown past the value of cherry. i guess folks have 'soured' on that cherry kitchen cabinet mania. and oh, when the first real act of our revolution happened (the ct river/hartford area loggers tellin the king's tree police to pizz off in the 1600s), the predominant log in the harvest at hand was oak. mebbe i have that quote wrong. prolly moar like 'pizz off ye! take ur tax thoughts and shove 'em up ur ye ole arse.' lol.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
'Why would they cut the notch that high?
It's normal height. That is just a family of pixies. They used to live in Chestnut trees, which is why you don't see many of them anymore.

Reaction Score
It's normal height. That is just a family of pixies. They used to live in Chestnut trees, which is why you don't see many of them anymore.
So I guess those trees weren't so big after all, then.

Reaction Score
The forrests in Connecticut are 10 times thicker than when I grew up .
Im not sure what trees are dominating
but I call it the wild East. It’s become a wildlife preserve I saw 3 bear on my last visit. skunks squirrels,rabbits, chipmunks, and maybe an occasional raccoon or possum were the most I ever saw.
Sorry to hear about Ash as it was used to make baseball bats.
One of my HS teammates actually made his own bat on a lathe in wood shop. Great bat I’m not sure it was legal though . I was impressed as I was not allowed to touch any power tools.

Reaction Score
The reason there are grape vines on the Connecticut Crest is that grapes were considered a luxury in 17th century England yet they grew wild in the colony. Sort of a fruit version of the streets being paved with gold.

I have always maintained the University of Connecticut logo should have had a grape vine rather than a leaf in the center of it logo. It would keep state imagery front and center and pay homage to the central role wine plays with the UConn student body.

CL82

Reaction Score
The reason there are grape vines on the Connecticut Crest is that grapes were considered a luxury in 17th century England yet they grew wild in the colony. Sort of a fruit version of the streets being paved with gold.
I always that was a nod to the state motto: "Qui Transtulit Sustinet" or "he who is transplanted is sustained."

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'skunks squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, and maybe an occasional raccoon or possum were the most I ever saw.'
absolutely correct.
the reason for the change?
we got a little carried away with the truth that mother earth can, eventually, shake off anything we do, so when our rivers started to catch fire, we decided to pass clean air and water laws, ddt and such. the result was that by the 1990s, these changes triggered an explosion in our fauna populations.
once upon a time, 'three bears' was just a restaurant in westport. now, it's what you might find swimming in ur pool.

Reaction Score
I always that was a nod to the state motto: "Qui Transtulit Sustinet" or "he who is transplanted is sustained."
That would only make sense if the original settlers transplanted grape vines which I do not believe they did.

The three grapes vines are said to represent either the original three Hartford towns of Windsor, Hartford and Wethersfield. Or alternately, the original three large towns or Hartford, New Haven and Old Saybrook.

Fun Fact. The Connecticut River is the largest river in America that does not have a city at its mouth.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
That would only make sense if the original settlers transplanted grape vines which I do not believe they did.

The three grapes vines are said to represent either the original three Hartford towns of Windsor, Hartford and Wethersfield. Or alternately, the original three large towns or Hartford, New Haven and Old Saybrook.

Fun Fact. The Connecticut River is the largest river in America that does not have a city at its mouth.
I'll bet you're fun at parties.

Reaction Score

I have always maintained the University of Connecticut logo should have had a grape vine rather than a leaf in the center of it logo. It would keep state imagery front and center and pay homage to the central role wine plays with the UConn student body.
I don't know when you went to school, but I can attest that, between 2003 and 2010, wine did not play a central role among the UConn student body.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
an interesting question on history is 'are there still self-identified Romans among us?' (not people living there.)
Rome (in chronological order, 'the Roman Kingdom, the Roman Republic, the Roman Empire,' around 2800 years since begun) is a big deal, just ask any 'soviet,' whatever that was.

'An interesting story recounted by Peter Charanis (a famous Byzantinist who was born in the island of Lemnos in 1908) highlights this:

When the island [Lemnos] was occupied by the Greek navy [in 1912], Greek soldiers were sent to the villages and stationed themselves in the public squares. Some of us children ran to see what these Greek soldiers, these Hellenes looked like. ‘‘What are you looking at?’’ one of them asked. ‘‘At Hellenes,’’ we replied. ‘‘Are you not Hellenes yourselves?’’ he retorted. ‘‘No, we are Romans."

CL82

Reaction Score

When colonists explored the new territories, the red and white grapes they found “gathered from thick vines edging the woods of every colony” were quickly fermented and turned into alcohol. The 1639 grape vine seal of the Saybrook settlement was chosen for the shield of the Connecticut Colony in 1665 as a symbol of good luck, felicity, peace, and acknowledgement of the state’s most plentiful fruit.

Link

temery

What?
Reaction Score
an interesting question on history is 'are there still self-identified Romans among us?' (not people living there.)
Rome (in chronological order, 'the Roman Kingdom, the Roman Republic, the Roman Empire,' around 2800 years since begun) is a big deal, just ask any 'soviet,' whatever that was.

'An interesting story recounted by Peter Charanis (a famous Byzantinist who was born in the island of Lemnos in 1908) highlights this:

You seriously need to do a better job to hide the crazy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom