Interesting Daily Campus Article About Diaco | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting Daily Campus Article About Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Retaining the hockey coach will depend on three things:
1. The new practice facilities and on campus barn.
2. UConn's ability to pay his salary and that of the assistants
3. The opinion of top recruits on coming to Storrs

And I'll throw in a bonus...If BC offers him the job to replace York.

That is a sizeable list but nothing that can't be overcome with some intelligent leadership. #4 is actually the biggest threat, but if UConn gives him the tools and he has the program running right, his way, then it would be more difficult for him to follow the legend if he doesn't feel the need to be in Boston.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Of all the things that would cause Diaco to look elsewhere - Warde leaving is near the bottom.

Reaction Score
If the school wants Ollie and Diaco to stay they need to make it worth their while. With Ollie I think money alone would do but for Diaco I believe he needs assurances that B1G caliber stadium improvements are in the plan and his assistants will be well taken care of so that some semblance of continuity is there. Recruiting, teaching and coaching are on him but monetary compensation for him and his staff plus upgrades to their home field are on the school.

Reaction Score

That is a sizeable list but nothing that can't be overcome with some intelligent leadership. #4 is actually the biggest threat, but if UConn gives him the tools and he has the program running right, his way, then it would be more difficult for him to follow the legend if he doesn't feel the need to be in Boston.

You could add the other Comm. Ave, school and several B1G schools to the list that could draw him away from UConn. I don't see it happening for a while, if at all. Many of us like what he has done so far in upgrading the program, but he really would need to show a major improvement in W-L before he would get any interest from the top programs.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

I'm honestly not that worried about hockey. There are only 60 Division I NCAA college programs to compete with most of which don't have the resources to hire anyone away from us. I mean look at our candidate pool... our choices we're the top assistant coach in the country or a established coach who had won multiple national titles. We're in the top conference in the country too. There are only two programs in Hockey East that might be able to pull him away and the only one I'm really worried about is BC.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Larger budget?

I don't think UConn is any more vulnerable to our coaches being poached than we were when we were in the Big East. I mean heck... Edsall got hired by Maryland when we were in the Big East. I don't think budget has much to do with it at all. Sure a lot depends on the new AD, but I don't think that factor makes us that much more or less likely to lose Diaco. Heck it might even but more pressure on Diaco. New ADs sure do like to bring in their guys.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Diaco would have been in more trouble if this happened last January right after the 2-10 tear down/rebuild year. UConn is entering year 3 of the Diaco era, coming off a bowl bid and entering a season with a seemingly bright outlook. If UConn does not at least meet expectations in 2016, this is a different conversation.

Reaction Score
Biggest problem is we are bleeding money at 27MM a year. Until P5, we will burn cash and at some point the pressure will mount to stop the bleeding. The article is vastly overly negative, and Warde was not some magician holding it together. There are folks in the State Legislature dedicated to investing money to keep the dream alive well beyond Warde or any personality because they understand its relevance to the state economy. What is salient is that we need folks that can get us out from under a conference that will ultimately kill us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom