Interesting Daily Campus Article About Diaco | The Boneyard

Interesting Daily Campus Article About Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://dailycampus.com/stories/2016/1/28/column-manuels-empire-held-together-by-mere-threads

"Diaco’s aspirations clearly surpass what UConn can give him as a non-Power Five university. Multiple football players expressed concern privately that if the Huskies exceed this season’s results in 2016, he would be enticed to pay his $700,000 buyout and hit the road for a bigger program with a larger budget.

An 8-4 regular season next fall suddenly seems a little less appealing.

Granted, Diaco might have left even if Manuel stayed, hypothetically speaking. But the players I talked to seemed to believe Manuel’s departure could be pivotal. Anything less than the perfect hire to replace Manuel could put Diaco’s long-term future at the university in even more jeopardy."

Reaction Score
http://dailycampus.com/stories/2016/1/28/column-manuels-empire-held-together-by-mere-threads

"Diaco’s aspirations clearly surpass what UConn can give him as a non-Power Five university. Multiple football players expressed concern privately that if the Huskies exceed this season’s results in 2016, he would be enticed to pay his $700,000 buyout and hit the road for a bigger program with a larger budget.

An 8-4 regular season next fall suddenly seems a little less appealing.

Granted, Diaco might have left even if Manuel stayed, hypothetically speaking. But the players I talked to seemed to believe Manuel’s departure could be pivotal. Anything less than the perfect hire to replace Manuel could put Diaco’s long-term future at the university in even more jeopardy."
IMHO I think you can say that about any of the coaches at UConn...

Reaction Score
I don't think that has anything to do with Warde's departure. Let's be honest, if anyone was under the impression that Diaco was going to turn down big jobs if the schools came knocking, they were fooling themselves. Neither this conference or school is a football dream job for anyone worth hiring. Sorry to be blunt.

Reaction Score
What about Cavanuagh?
If an AD is hired who doesn't have a background in D-1 hockey and knows what he needs to be successful I could see him moving on.

Reaction Score
If an AD is hired who doesn't have a background in D-1 hockey and knows what he needs to be successful I could see him moving on.

I hope not. There's been some head scratchers this year for hockey, but next year really looks like it'll be a break out year for UConn. It'll be his third year and a lot of his recruits will see significant time. I'm not saying we'll win a national championship, but I think we'll at least be in the running for Hockey East.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is this what the Journalism Dept. at UConn has come too? Dan Shaunessey wannabes? This is column (not news article) and an irresponsible one at that.

>>> I don’t dare speculate on who the university should select to replace Manuel...First, the university should name either Paul McCarthy or Neal Eskin as the interim athletic director.<<<

But you have no problem speculating that Diaco would take off from UConn after a single winning season, or that Ollie is a shoe-in for the NBA next year.

Secondly, what makes you think Ollie would pay dollar one of any buyout even if Manuel were to stay? The coach never pays the buy out, the hiring team does. Yet this is a major point in the column.

Finally, you don't dare speculate who UConn should hire to replace Manuel but here's two people you'll speculate UConn should hire to replace Manuel. According to my freshman and Sophomore year roommate, Contradiction was covered early in his Journalism classes.

Where have you gone, Tim Fontenault?

Reaction Score
I hope not. There's been some head scratchers this year for hockey, but next year really looks like it'll be a break out year for UConn. It'll be his third year and a lot of his recruits will see significant time. I'm not saying we'll win a national championship, but I think we'll at least be in the running for Hockey East.
The hockey upgrade has to me thrown in something unique to the AD job requirement now that wasn't there when Warde was hired. He had that background from his time as Associate and Asst. AD at Michigan, so in that aspect UConn was pretty lucky. With the upgrade that seems to be planned for Freitas, I think it's important that if the new AD doesn't have a background in D-1 hockey, that they bring along someone who knows it well. IMHO that is one of the positives to Sean Frazier...besides the fact he has experience at Wisconsin running their basketball and football programs and as a player at Alabama...he also has the hockey back ground. UConn has committed a LOT of $$ with the hockey upgrade..they can't ignore it like a redheaded stepchild like Hathaway did when he was here.

Reaction Score
Is this what the Journalism Dept. at UConn has come too? Dan Shaunessey wannabes? This is column (not news article) and an irresponsible one at that.

>>> I don’t dare speculate on who the university should select to replace Manuel...First, the university should name either Paul McCarthy or Neal Eskin as the interim athletic director.<<<

But you have no problem speculating that Diaco would take off from UConn after a single winning season, or that Ollie is a shoe-in for the NBA next year.

Secondly, what makes you think Ollie would pay dollar one of any buyout even if Manuel were to stay? The coach never pays the buy out, the hiring team does. Yet this is a major point in the column.

Finally, you don't dare speculate who UConn should hire to replace Manuel but here's two people you'll speculate UConn should hire to replace Manuel. According to my freshman and Sophomore year roommate, Contradiction was covered early in his Journalism classes.

Unfortunately, that's all journalism has come to. Knee jerk reactions, click bait headlines and little to no investigative reporting.

Reaction Score
The hockey upgrade has to me thrown in something unique to the AD job requirement now that wasn't there when Warde was hired. He had that background from his time as Associate and Asst. AD at Michigan, so in that aspect UConn was pretty lucky. With the upgrade that seems to be planned for Freitas, I think it's important that if the new AD doesn't have a background in D-1 hockey, that they bring along someone who knows it well. IMHO that is one of the positives to Sean Frazier...besides the fact he has experience at Wisconsin running their basketball and football programs and as a player at Alabama...he also has the hockey back ground. UConn has committed a LOT of $$ with the hockey upgrade..they can't ignore it like a redheaded stepchild like Hathaway did when he was here.

The more I read about Frazier the more I like the guy. Seems to know how run an athletic department. I was in the "hire Oliver Luck at any cost" boat when all the speculation first started. But Frazier's background is really swaying me to his corner. That being said I know I have no pull at the university being and Chem engineer alum, but I would really like to see Frazier get the nod. Seems like he can really take us to the next level athletically.

Reaction Score
I liked Tim Fontenault.

There's still some honest journalists out there, but it's getting harder and harder to find with all the blogs that infect the internet.

Reaction Score
The more I read about Frazier the more I like the guy. Seems to know how run an athletic department. I was in the "hire Oliver Luck at any cost" boat when all the speculation first started. But Frazier's background is really swaying me to his corner. That being said I know I have no pull at the university being and Chem engineer alum, but I would really like to see Frazier get the nod. Seems like he can really take us to the next level athletically.
Yeah me too...although someone like Luck or Pernetti would be ok with me too. They will just have ti bring along someone who knows hockey like I mentioned. Here is a thing about Frazier that has intrigued me about him for a while. When RU fired Pernetti and conducted the search for his replacement Jim Delany personally recommended him to RU to hire. Interesting thing about ties...Frazier worked for Barry Alvarez at wisconsin from 2007-2013...Alvarez coached with recently retired UConn football assistant Don Patterson at Iowa on Hayden Fry's staff.

Reaction Score
Yeah me too...although someone like Luck or Pernetti would be ok with me too. They will just have ti bring along someone who knows hockey like I mentioned. Here is a thing about Frazier that has intrigued me about him for a while. When RU fired Pernetti and conducted the search for his replacement Jim Delany personally recommended him to RU to hire. Interesting thing about ties...Frazier worked for Barry Alvarez at wisconsin from 2007-2013...Alvarez coached with recently retired UConn football assistant Don Patterson at Iowa on Hayden Fry's staff.

7 Ways to UConn I like it. I don't know how I feel about Pernetti. I don't know if the end of his tenure or the complete ineptitude of Hermann caused the complete failures at Rutgers. I'll be the first to admit, I haven't paid attention that much outside of seeing the negative (which I really enjoyed minus people getting hurt) press about NJU

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Jeez, you guys are harsh. I thought it was a pretty good article for a college kid! I think what's to be taken from it is that there are a number of players with significant concern that HCBD is going to be leaving sooner rather than later--sure, we all figured as much, but getting confirmation that multiple players are worried about it is interesting. I'd be curious to know how worries like that amongst players impact their willingness to 'buy-in' and totally trust the coach. To me, it sounds like they do have a bit of a trust issue despite (or perhaps because of) coach's success.

Reaction Score
If Delany likes someone let's give him the job and pay him whatever they want.
Also helps to have the most Sr AD of the original B1G schools in Barry Alvarez 100% behind you.....he carries a LOT of weight in the B1G

Reaction Score
I can't see Penders, Reid or Geno going anywhere regardless of the AD.

Diaco and Ollie on the other hand....
0% chance Ollie goes anywhere but an NBA job, and even then probably only if given the chance to coach Durant or James because of his personal connections with the two. Maybe add the Lakers in there if they stop being a dumpster fire. I would bet you my entire bank account Ollie never leaves UConn for another college job.

Reaction Score
0% chance Ollie goes anywhere but an NBA job, and even then probably only if given the chance to coach Durant or James because of his personal connections with the two. Maybe add the Lakers in there if they stop being a dumpster fire. I would bet you my entire bank account Ollie never leaves UConn for another college job.
The way Durant was talking about NYC, the Knicks, Porzingas and Fisher in the paper Ollie would have to become a triangle disciple to coach him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom