Interesting Comments From an Old-time Kansas Fan | The Boneyard

Interesting Comments From an Old-time Kansas Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I met an old-time Kansas hoops fan the other day and he had some interesting opinions on recent coaches at Kansas plus an unsolicited comment on JC.

We were discussing the Celtics and Paul Pierce when he brought up his Kansas connection. I mentioned that I liked Self and thought he has done a good job there. He then gave his opinions on Larry Brown, Roy Williams and Bill Self. He thought Brown was good, but never stayed long enough to be considered more than good even with winning a Nat'l championship. Roy was a good coach during the regular season, but a real disappointment during the tourney. He thought Roy was over-rated as a coach as a lot of us here do. Self has done a god job and may become a very good coach given some time. I found it interesting that he didn't think more highly of their coaches.

At that point he asked where I went to school and when I said UConn, he said "Now, Calhoun, he was a coach. Regular season or tournament time, he could out coach anybody".

Reaction Score
Haha...he is a tough grader. "self may become a very good coach given some time"? He's easily one of the best five coaches in the game in my mind. He wasn't handed the keys to the ferrari like Roy, he had to work his way up the ladder.

Reaction Score
Interesting..... as a Kansas Alum and undergrad with Self as a coach all four years I disagree with him. Self is worshiped around here. X and O's I think he is incredible and can out coach anyone. At the beginning recruiting was his one chink in the armor, but he is starting to really tear it up on the recruiting trail which is scary. Everyone wants to visit now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog
Top Bottom