Interesting Commentary by ND’s Swarbick on Independence/Conference affiliation | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Interesting Commentary by ND’s Swarbick on Independence/Conference affiliation

Reaction Score
Playing Duke, UNC, Virginia, Louisville, Notre Dame is thrill enough for me...but no basketball purist here...just a casual fan.

After watching the Noles get by Virginia tonight, Miami is my next worry.

But I do have to say, after 10 years of having a weekly bubble gauge thread to parse, it is nice reading about other things...like possibilities of getting a good seed in the ACC tournament.

Reaction Score
I think the end game for the Big Ten is not anyone that has been on the radar the past decade. I see the end game for the B1G being the 4 California schools - UCLA, USC, Stanford and Cal. They are all four AAU schools and would add greatly to the demographics of the conference. The California schools all want more eastern exposure and this would do it for them. Not to mention the money involved in such a deal.

Reaction Score
The Big East Tournament >>> the ACC tournament

Maybe in the northeast but not nationally...

The BE Tournament Finals last year, Villanova vs Seton Hall, had 1.13 million viewers. That was the largest number posted since the Big East relaunch in 2013.

FSU vs Duke in the ACC Finals had 4.06 million viewers and the UNC- Duke Semi Final had 4.15 million viewers.

Yes..MSG is a nice venue...but what if more than 3X the Big East TV audience watched the ACC ?

Reaction Score
Yes...I am sure that Zion helped the numbers. But , even so, the 2018 ACC Finals (with no Zion) still outpulled every Big East Final to date since the 2013 relaunch.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe in the northeast but not nationally...

The BE Tournament Finals last year, Villanova vs Seton Hall, had 1.13 million viewers. That was the largest number posted since the Big East relaunch in 2013.

FSU vs Duke in the ACC Finals had 4.06 million viewers and the UNC- Duke Semi Final had 4.15 million viewers.

Yes..MSG is a nice venue...but what if more than 3X the Big East TV audience watched the ACC ?
Meh, I think that is a function of broadcast partner more than anything else. One of concerns about UConn's move to the NBE is having most games broadcast on FS1 and FS2. Historically, they do not draw terrific numbers.

Reaction Score
True...but the fact is unchanged that the Big East Finals/ semi's have fewer national viewers than the ACC...

And viewership has value...

Reaction Score
ACC has fewer fannies in the seats, even the broadcast partner has more viewers.

Reaction Score
Right!

Millions more watch the ACC tourney... and the Big East has a few thousand more fannies in the seats. OK...you have that one.

Yes...the Big East tourney in New York has a big in person draw in a major metropolis.....but is not an event viewed by as much of a national audience.

I actually like the difference...the MSG and an experience more related to attending at the venue....it is old school (and there ain't an older school than ole Billy).

Versus basketball experienced over the big screen in our living rooms...the way we have become.

Reaction Score
I think UConn fans will like the TV contract. While FoxSports has a smaller casual audience than ESPN, every game is on national TV. It’s very convenient for the Big East fan.

Admittedly it took me a while to get FS1 a channel surfing habit, but I now check FS1 before ESPN. If there is a good Big East game I won’t look further. In general I also think the broadcast teams are better on FoxSports.

The real fans will find the content on FoxSports. The complete coverage of the Big East is very convenient.

No doubt ESPN has a larger natural viewership of casual watchers. That’s why FoxSports is paying fair value for the content, to grow its share.

Reaction Score
Billybud you are correct (Ugh!) If UConn had a choice, they would have chosen the ACC over the Big East. Much more money in the ACC obviously which is really the only thing that matters. BC and FSU won.

Reaction Score
Billybud you are correct (Ugh!) If UConn had a choice, they would have chosen the ACC over the Big East. Much more money in the ACC obviously which is really the only thing that matters. BC and FSU won.
It’s true money would win the day. For basketball fans though I think the Big East is a better home.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No doubt ESPN has a larger natural viewership of casual watchers. That’s why FoxSports is paying fair value for the content, to grow its share.
Are they though? That is a mighty weak payout though, admittedly better on a net basis than the American's new deal. Have you heard anything about Fox renegotiating the deal since there has been a change in membership?

Reaction Score
Are they though? That is a mighty weak payout though, admittedly better on a net basis than the American's new deal. Have you heard anything about Fox renegotiating the deal since there has been a change in membership?
I actually do think it’s in the range of fair. Everyone always wants mo money, but for Hoops it seems fair.

Reaction Score
It’s true money would win the day. For basketball fans though I think the Big East is a better home.
I think that's what we are going with for now. There would be a better argument if ND had chosen to go with the Catholic 7 than to switch teats.

Reaction Score
1...The Irish have a historic beef with the Big Ten...going back to the days of more open anti Catholicism and being blackballed by Yost at Michigan for years.

Many fans are unaware of the fact that the Western Conference (the predecessor to the Big Ten) blackballed Notre Dame in the early part of the 20th century. The University of Michigan, far and away the most powerful school at the time, stopped playing Notre Dame's budding football program and convinced the other members of the conference to not play them in an indirect attempt to squelch ND's growth before they became a legitimate threat.

Notre Dame was blackballed by so many schools back then that they developed a nation wide schedule

2...When Gee was President at Ohio State...he prickled those historic sensibilities by some statements (some called anti Catholic and some just said stupid) that upset Notre Dame.

Notre Dame responded...you can read into what you will.

Notre Dame spokesman Dennis Brown said, "We find the remarks most regrettable, particularly regarding Father Joyce, who served Notre Dame and collegiate athletics so well and for so long.

3...Notre Dame seems content with their five game ACC schedule

4...Notre Dame is bound to the ACC until 2036...36 years from now. I don't care where they are in 40 years...I'll be gone.

Here we go again,..

1) Notre Dame should forever be grateful to Michigan for encouraging them to play elsewhere.
1.1) Michigan left the conference for 7 or 8 years back then, so it wasn't just an ND thing. Best I can tell, the rest of the Big Ten seems to forgotten what happened 100 years ago. Not sure if ND fans really care either.

2) Gee was the only person really listening to him(self).

3) Until something better comes along. With ACC (and perhaps NBC) revenue falling behind, I sense something better coming along. We may have reached a point where ND cannot invite itself and expect the red carpet to be rolled out immediately. The money is so ridiculous in the SEC and Big Ten that I think both conference would say, "sure we can talk; what are you proposing?".

4) My thoughts are (as mentioned several times over the years), ND football is part of the ACC (until 2036) provided that ND itself is part of the ACC. I really think they could pack up and move provided they take everything.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here we go again,..

1) Notre Dame should forever be grateful to Michigan for encouraging them to play elsewhere.
1.1) Michigan left the conference for 7 or 8 years back then, so it wasn't just an ND thing. Best I can tell, the rest of the Big Ten seems to forgotten what happened 100 years ago. Not sure if ND fans really care either.

2) Gee was the only person really listening to him(self).

3) Until something better comes along. With ACC (and perhaps NBC) revenue falling behind, I sense something better coming along. We may have reached a point where ND cannot invite itself and expect the red carpet to be rolled out immediately. The money is so ridiculous in the SEC and Big Ten that I think both conference would say, "sure we can talk; what are you proposing?".

4) My thoughts are (as mentioned several times over the years), ND football is part of the ACC (until 2036) provided that ND itself is part of the ACC. I really think they could pack up and move provided they take everything.
They would have to give up all of their TV money. They are going no where

Reaction Score
They would have to give up all of their TV money. They are going no where

Perhaps Swarbrick should be informed of the problem ?

Swarbrick said:
"Well, we can right now. We acknowledge that there are external factors that could change that over time. We have to have a media partner to do it. We have a phenomenal media partner but if that were ever to change down the road, that would be a factor. What the college football playoffs evolve to over time. I'm not suggesting change is imminent, those things always evolve. That will be a factor for us. We're always going to look at it. Our preference, strong preference, is to stay independent but external factors may have a say in that someday," Swarbrick said

Reaction Score
Swarbrick is talking of the necessity of joining the ACC in football...if that is the only path to a playoff...

The NBC contract, which only pays the Irish $15 million, runs through 2025....there is an opportunity in 2025 to make a choice of media partners (maybe go all in with ESPN, maybe not).

A long term media renewal with NBC would be a good sign that Notre Dame intends to lock into being indy.

But ....the Irish are stuck with the ACC, in one form or another, for another 16 years.

Reaction Score
You may be correct, but I just don't see that much love expressed there for their current host. I have a sense that Amazon will own the Irish, but I'm not quite sure how yet.

Reaction Score
"Swarbrick said earlier this week that he knows the lack of conference affiliation could have a negative impact on the Irish long-term, but Notre Dame president Rev. John Jenkins noted recently that the university is happy with its independence.

"We're very happy with our relationship with the ACC," he said. "It's a great conference. It fits us. We're very happy there, and that allows football to retain its independence. It's a great situation for us. We're not looking for anything else because we're very happy with the current situation.

"We're an independent not because it helps or hurts us with the College Football Playoff, but it really is who we are. We started in the 1910s, 1920s. We couldn't get into what was then the Big Ten.

... Our fan base is in California, it's in New York, it's in Pennsylvania, Ohio. We're an independent because it allows us to have a national profile, and really, that's who we are."

Should Notre Dame decide to join a conference full-time before 2036, it would be required to join the ACC, with which it has a contract that currently calls for the Irish to play five league games per season."

Reaction Score
"Swarbrick said earlier this week that he knows the lack of conference affiliation could have a negative impact on the Irish long-term, but Notre Dame president Rev. John Jenkins noted recently that the university is happy with its independence.

"We're very happy with our relationship with the ACC," he said. "It's a great conference. It fits us. We're very happy there, and that allows football to retain its independence. It's a great situation for us. We're not looking for anything else because we're very happy with the current situation.

"We're an independent not because it helps or hurts us with the College Football Playoff, but it really is who we are. We started in the 1910s, 1920s. We couldn't get into what was then the Big Ten.

... Our fan base is in California, it's in New York, it's in Pennsylvania, Ohio. We're an independent because it allows us to have a national profile, and really, that's who we are."

Should Notre Dame decide to join a conference full-time before 2036, it would be required to join the ACC, with which it has a contract that currently calls for the Irish to play five league games per season."

So yeah, same as what has been said for 25 years (since Big 10 invite was rejected).

Reaction Score
So yeah, same as what has been said for 25 years (since Big 10 invite was rejected).

Pretty much...the strong emphasis on the Irish's identity being defined by football independence.

But...add to that... a satisfaction with the current arrangement with the ACC....

I think that Notre Dame is where they will be for a long time.

Reaction Score
Pretty much...the strong emphasis on the Irish's identity being defined by football independence.

But...add to that... a satisfaction with the current arrangement with the ACC....

I think that Notre Dame is where they will be for a long time.
Meh. Notre Dame is the white whale, the c-tease of realignment. They always lift their skirts to get you to pay attention to their goodies, but deep down they just wanna be chased.

Reaction Score
To my knowledge...Notre Dame has not ever hinted that they want to be other than a football independent...

If parking their other sports somewhere is a "tease"...shame on those that bite.

The ACC has always known...Swofford and the ACC have said that they would welcome the Irish...BUT

"But Swofford made it clear that neither he nor the conference as a whole believes that will happen though. He went so far as to say he’s never even bought into the notion that it is a “matter of time” before the Fighting Irish join."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom