Interesting Billboard in Bristol, CT | The Boneyard

Interesting Billboard in Bristol, CT

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wonder who it refers to?
7466264842038ee03b54cda7b13f2d01

Reaction Score
How long until Paige rolls up to the games in her Lambo while the rest of the team is busing it to XL?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
13 UCONN players saw that sign and knew it wasn’t them. I’m for players being compensated for their NIL but this could become a coaches nightmare.
It’s certainly a cause for concern. I had an offbeat thought that I hope Paige and her agent consider. Paige is all about her teammates. I was thinking about the movie “Major League” when the hapless Cleveland Indians go from being cellar dwellers to AL contenders.

In the movie the entire Indian team does a commercial for American Express, in which they are all decked out in tuxedos. At the end of the commercial Willy Mays Hayes slides across home plate holding an American Express card and proclaims, “The American Express card, Don’t steal home without it.”

Hopefully, Paige has an opportunity to share some .love with her teammates so that everyone benefits.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
How long until Paige rolls up to the games in her Lambo while the rest of the team is busing it to XL?
The challenge for Paige will be no different than professional athletes like Labron & Brady who’s promotional opportunities dwarf those of their teammates. In general a rising tide lifts all boats. Think about what Tiger Woods did for the earning potential of all professional golfers.

If all the players on UConn WBB can earn a few bucks off NIL and, more importantly, the Huskies win championships, just about everyone will be pleased.

Reaction Score
It’s certainly a cause for concern. I had an offbeat thought that I hope Paige and her agent consider. Paige is all about her teammates. I was thinking about the movie “Major League” when the hapless Cleveland Indians go from being cellar dwellers to AL contenders.

In the movie the entire Indian team does a commercial for American Express, in which they are all decked out in tuxedos. At the end of the commercial Willy Mays Hayes slides across home plate holding an American Express card and proclaims, “The American Express card, Don’t steal home without it.”

Hopefully, Paige has an opportunity to share some .love with her teammates so that everyone benefits.
Well you remember what those players turned into in Major League 2, so that, I think, is the concern.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well you remember what those players turned into in Major League 2, so that, I think, is the concern.
And they won the AL championship….

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Hopefully, Paige has an opportunity to share some love with her teammates so that everyone benefits.
Hopefully! I think that dynamic would maintain the harmony of the sisterhood on the team. The other players on the team realize they will never be afforded the amount of "NIL" opportunities (compensation) that Paige and Azzi will. However, if they are allowed to share just a small piece of what should be a HUGE pie, they should be content and satisfied. If so, jealousy and envy will find no welcome mat at the entrance of THAT locker room. :cool:

Reaction Score
The challenge for Paige will be no different than professional athletes like Labron & Brady…
The challenge is very different. All of Labron and Brady’s teammates are already millionaires. Now, we are asking Paige and the other superstars to not only spend time promoting their image for monetary gain but also to be an extra-caring teammate so there are no hard feelings. Hopefully, their is some time left to practice and play the game and do so with the same focus and motivation they had before they became millionaires.

I also have my doubts about the trickle down effect where other teammates will benefit financially from the super star’s financial successes. How many pizza joints are there to promote?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am guessing Paige is smart enough to realize

1) Whatever money may come her way, save it for the future
2) If she wants to spend some earlier , spend it on team (or humanitarian) activities off season

All the bling can come later.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I have been hoping that this business would not be as much of a distraction as it could be. Well, I guess it will be a distraction, Dam, a billboard? Really? We need Paige to concentrate on why she came here in the first place. I'm really not worried about herself actually, but the outside forces that she will have to deal with should be a concern for Geno and her fellow players. We don't need this to turn into a circus, but the media may make it so. I pray there are rules that may be in place to keep this business off campus, not to interfere with the real business at hand, and whatever is offered Paige ( or any other player ) is short and sweet, and not dragged on to compete with the season. NIL questions should not be allowed during pre game or post game pressers. Lets stick to the real reason we watch and enjoy the game. We still have to remember that these are college students and not professional athletes.

Reaction Score
I guess minimum wage for services performed is out of the question? I can only hope fees/compensation will be universally set to offset the sleaze recruitment of these athletes!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I guess minimum wage for services performed is out of the question? I can only hope fees/compensation will be universally set to offset the sleaze recruitment of these athletes!
Not. Just not practical. I do hope they come up with some rules. But ultimately, I'm pretty sure you can't tell a private business how much it should pay an athlete to put their picture on a billboard. Same as coaches, in that regard - here in Tucson we had pictures of our former Basketball coaches, former football coaches, etc. pasted on various billboards - but I'm pretty sure each company that got permission to use someone's likeness didn't necessarily pay the same amount for that permission - or the same amount for Lute vs. RichRod.

But as others have variously raised the threat in various forums, and I think it is correct - opportunities will be greater some places than others. I'm not sure this is "sleaze" recruiting - but it is a definite advantage in recruiting.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Sorry, but here comes the monster or maybe the green monster, maybe both. I don't pretend to know how the money will change college sports, no one does, but some are already in line deciding who should benefit from what others may earn. If Paige is able to bring in the high 6 figure or even 7 figure income does she finance the rest of the team. Will Paige have team mates or paid hangers on? Will her rising tide bring up all her team mates up and if so what about other team rosters. How far do we expect her coattails to spread?
Lets be realistic at this time there is Paige, the face of Women's basketball period, college, or pros she is it, the athlete most followed on social media, the athlete who has won every major college athletic award available to her. The athlete most likely to reap a windfall. As far as we know she has yet to earn -0- dollars as a college athlete yet some are already deciding that she should redistribute what she earns. Paige seems to be a very caring and loyal team mate, one all seem to like. A player we all love as a Husky. How much will the $ change her relationship with her team mates, to UCONN and yes to us. I have no idea, but I do know that the monster is about to be released and I for one am worried about college athletics.
*as a note I have written with Paige as an example, I know she won't be the only college athlete earning endorsement money. I love her as a player and all that it entails, I will continue to critique her on abilities and output. I have no desire to judge her finances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lets be realistic at this time there is Paige, the face of Women's basketball period, college, or pros she is it, the athlete most followed on social media, the athlete who has won every major college athletic award available to her.
I think you're getting carried away. Paige is a very good college player with a lot of upside, but she hasn't won anything yet other than a few individual awards, so I don't think she's the face of the entire sport of women's basketball just because she has hundreds of thousands of followers on instagram.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I think you're getting carried away. Paige is a very good college player with a lot of upside, but she hasn't won anything yet other than a few individual awards, so I don't think she's the face of the entire sport of women's basketball just because she has hundreds of thousands of followers on instagram.
I guess we have been watching a different person. Once NIL is in effect we will know which of us has been watching the right player. Am I getting carried away? Maybe, just throwing out some ideas. What debates are made of.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yeah, but it took trading away their best player (Parkman) to do it.
You need to rewatch the movie. Parkman was never an Indian. He was the big bad dude on the Chicago White Sox in Major League II.

Reaction Score
You need to rewatch the movie. Parkman was never an Indian. He was the big bad dude on the Chicago White Sox in Major League II.
Parkman was signed as a free agent catcher from the A's at the beginning of the movie. That's what led to Jake Taylor getting cut as the team's catcher. Remember when Jake tells Lou that it's a good idea to carry three catchers (himself, Parkman, and Baker), to which Lou responds we're not carrying three catchers. Parkman was a divisive figure in the clubhouse, and had even once renamed Wild Thing's new eliminator pitch the masturbator during batting practice. The team didn't get back on track until they traded away Parkman during the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom