Interesting 2013-14 Stats | The Boneyard

Interesting 2013-14 Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just happened to open the ESPN UConn Men's Husky page and noticed these 2013-14 Overall Rankings at the top of the webpage:

POINTS PER GAME: 71.9 144th OVERALL

REBOUNDS PER GAME: 35.4 146th OVERALL

ASSISTS PER GAME: 12.6 179th OVERALL

FIELD GOAL PCT: .448 142nd OVERALL

HEART: 110% 1st OVERALL

Okay, I added that last one. ;)

It is amazing how that team put it all together when it counted most. It's great being a Husky fan!

Reaction Score
I just happened to open the ESPN UConn Men's Husky page and noticed these 2013-14 Overall Rankings at the top of the webpage:

POINTS PER GAME: 71.9 144th OVERALL

REBOUNDS PER GAME: 35.4 146th OVERALL

ASSISTS PER GAME: 12.6 179th OVERALL

FIELD GOAL PCT: .448 142nd OVERALL

HEART: 110% 1st OVERALL

Okay, I added that last one. ;)

It is amazing how that team put it all together when it counted most. It's great being a Husky fan!

When it counted most, we underperformed all of those averages--here are the figures:

POINTS PER GAME: 60

REBOUNDS PER GAME: 34

ASSISTS PER GAME: 8

FIELD GOAL PCT: .415

NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS: +1 UCONN, 0 KENTUCKY

Reaction Score
Little drunk here - sorry. Been drinking too much recently.

What it really amounts to, when you attempt to add it all up, is that it doesn't all add up. The French would call it "zhuh nuh suh kwah". That's phonetic, because I write French about as well as I write Clingan, which is to say, not at all (loved the Frasier episode where he reads the thing in Clingan thinking it's Hebrew).

And, really, at the end of the day, that's why UConn is so awesome. We have never had, nor are we likely to ever have, the number 1 recruiting class. Or the top number of MAAs. Or any other G---- D--- metric of what is supposed to make a team great.

But at the end of the day, our boys get it done. With barely a stat (free throw %?) to back them, they get it done. And that, really, is the glory of it all, isn't it? It's that we routinely pull it out of our @ss and ram it up theirs when it matters. And when it's all over, and the confetti has stopped falling. And the last "ONIONS!" has been enunciated, we get the gear. And we take it back to Storrs. And 300 hundred something other schools look and spit out words like "fluke" and "weak field" and other palliatives, as they lick their wounds and attempt - vainly - to figure out how the hell we did it.

And the greatest image of the tournament, after the images of UConn players celebrating the win and Ollie emitting the primal scream, is the UK players walking solemnly off the court, and Coach Cal mouthing something about "they're only 18," when you know the concerted thought running through their heads is, "how the hell did they just win that?"

And the answer is that nobody really has the answer. Did anybody pick us? The answer is - we get it done, adversely to all of the available information. The Statistics.

And that's really the beauty of being a UConn fan - with the possible exception of 2004, we get it done when we're not expected to get it done, and that makes the NCs sweeter than they could have otherwise been.

I am really, really hopped up to see what 2015 brings. What an enjoyable group of kids. What a great program. We make the tourni - we're a threat. Simple as that. As much as they hate it. There isn't a single team in the field of 60 whatever that wants to see UConn in their bracket.

That's what we've become.

Reaction Score
Who cares… in the 90's all we did was crush everyone during the regular season and consistently choke in the tournament (sans 1999). I'm much rather enjoying it the other way around.

Reaction Score
When it counted most, look at our PPG allowed and look at our free throw percentage. That's why we won.

Reaction Score
Elite three point shooting, FT shooting, and defense. We lose probably are three best long range shooters, but we do gain hamilton and cassell.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Who cares… in the 90's all we did was crush everyone during the regular season and consistently choke in the tournament (sans 1999). I'm much ratoher enjoying it the other way around.

I don't agree. We had 2 years where we underperformed and far more years were we outperformed our seed.We lost to some grat teams in that era. We were growing a program from nothing.

Reaction Score
We lose probably are three best long range shooters, but we do gain hamilton and cassell.
This is where the true value of a guy like Giffey makes itself obvious. Dude flat out forced the other team to spread the floor to cover him. You literally could make 1 defender stand 3 feet from the corner to guard him, and then let Bazz and Boat play 4 on 4. He will be missed.

Reaction Score
This is where the true value of a guy like Giffey makes itself obvious. Dude flat out forced the other team to spread the floor to cover him. You literally could make 1 defender stand 3 feet from the corner to guard him, and then let Bazz and Boat play 4 on 4. He will be missed.
Yeah I'm very worried about his absence. not only because he was the most efficient shooter in the country, but he was also a bad a**. Sliding down to the power forward and banging downlow. Plus his overall IQ on the floor. Hamilton comes in and is more talented, can score easier and probably shoot better. But it remains unknown if he can slide down to the 4 and get rebounds/defend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom