Instead of regionals.. | The Boneyard

Instead of regionals..

Reaction Score
...I watched the Oregon loss again. While there is no question that Oregon was the better team that night, I saw some indications that UConn might have fared better in a rematch.

First, Crystal was hot and filled with passion but I suspect her missed buckets at the end were partly do to exhaustion.

Second, Megan was ice cold with early threes rattling in and out. It wasn’t so much a question of great defense, she just was off. If she hits her normal percentage, things might have been different. But she grabbed significant boards.

Christyn showed effects of flu. If she played as she did in last couples of games, it might be a difference maker.

Liv was really good at the beginning, then tapered off. She has gotten much better since. She would be a real force in rematch.

Anna was our second highest scorer with 13. More importantly, she hit all three of shots: three 3s as expected, a beautiful fade away jumper, and a cutting layup. She also had four assists, no TOs, and played some excellent faceguarding defense without drawing a foul. She also had four boards and showed excellent jumping ability, taking one away from taller Hebard. Anna’s shooting percentage was high, especially if you throw our a last second Hail Mary. Maybe by the rematch, she would have taken more shots.

Aubrey played some beautiful defense, less stellar offense, and had three turnovers, but her rebounding was great. She was her usual spark. She has greatly improved since.

Would UConn have beaten Oregon in the rematch? Win or lose, this time it would have been a nail biter. Sadly, we will never know.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Regarding the Regionals for 2021, where were they awarded too?

Reaction Score
The more I think of it the more I am disappointed the NCAA didn't postpone the tournament and see if things improved in the coming weeks. They could have invited the top 4 or 8 teams to play games to decide the champion at the Final 4 in April if things were starting to get under control. The champion and Final 4 were certainly gonna come from Oregon, SC, Baylor, Maryland, UConn, Louisville, NC State, and Stanford anyways.

At the very least the NCAA should at least declare a champion. Maybe a co champion South Carolina and Oregon. How can you let these teams play a full season for nothing? I don't think it feels right.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The more I think of it the more I am disappointed the NCAA didn't postpone the tournament and see if things improved in the coming weeks. They could have invited the top 4 or 8 teams to play games to decide the champion at the Final 4 in April if things were starting to get under control. The champion and Final 4 were certainly gonna come from Oregon, SC, Baylor, Maryland, UConn, Louisville, NC State, and Stanford anyways.

At the very least the NCAA should at least declare a champion. Maybe a co champion South Carolina and Oregon. How can you let these teams play a full season for nothing? I don't think it feels right.
If conditions are not safe enough for 64 teams to play, why would they be safe enough for 4 or 8 teams to play? Games can either go forward or they can't.

Reaction Score
If conditions are not safe enough for 64 teams to play, why would they be safe enough for 4 or 8 teams to play? Games can either go forward or they can't.

Perhaps in April we will know more and it will be safer.

Reaction Score

A full season of games isn't "nothing."

Plebe

Reaction Score
My stance on this would be the same if this were in any of UConn's most dominant years.

No. Just no. You don't just hand out a trophy that no one earned.

I would also dispute the "for nothing" part. The journey always, always has an immense value of its own. Surely we aren't so reductionist in our thinking that we can't appreciate the experience.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Perhaps in April we will know more and it will be safer.
Postponement vs. cancellation is a different question. I was addressing your statement on reducing the field size.

I read somewhere that the MBB committee did consider both -- reducing the field and/or postponement -- but the ideas didn't carry, for multiple reasons. I'd imagine the WBB committee also gave these similar thought.

Reaction Score
...I watched the Oregon loss again. While there is no question that Oregon was the better team that night, I saw some indications that UConn might have fared better in a rematch.

First, Crystal was hot and filled with passion but I suspect her missed buckets at the end were partly do to exhaustion.

Second, Megan was ice cold with early threes rattling in and out. It wasn’t so much a question of great defense, she just was off. If she hits her normal percentage, things might have been different. But she grabbed significant boards.

Christyn showed effects of flu. If she played as she did in last couples of games, it might be a difference maker.

Liv was really good at the beginning, then tapered off. She has gotten much better since. She would be a real force in rematch.

Anna was our second highest scorer with 13. More importantly, she hit all three of shots: three 3s as expected, a beautiful fade away jumper, and a cutting layup. She also had four assists, no TOs, and played some excellent faceguarding defense without drawing a foul. She also had four boards and showed excellent jumping ability, taking one away from taller Hebard. Anna’s shooting percentage was high, especially if you throw our a last second Hail Mary. Maybe by the rematch, she would have taken more shots.

Aubrey played some beautiful defense, less stellar offense, and had three turnovers, but her rebounding was great. She was her usual spark. She has greatly improved since.

Would UConn have beaten Oregon in the rematch? Win or lose, this time it would have been a nail biter. Sadly, we will never know.
I thought the region with Oregon would have been the most challenging. Oregon seemed to be on a mission, sort of a team of destiny where all the pieces had come together. Now if it had been the regional with Md/L’ville, it would have been a cake walk to the FF.

Reaction Score
Postponement vs. cancellation is a different question. I was addressing your statement on reducing the field size.

I read somewhere that the MBB committee did consider both -- reducing the field and/or postponement -- but the ideas didn't carry, for multiple reasons. I'd imagine the WBB committee also gave these similar thought.
Plebe likely read that the NCAA considered a 16-team men's tourney that would take place during a one-week period in which the final two teams would have played four games in that week.

That was one of the considerations before the tourney was cancelled.

Reaction Score
My stance on this would be the same if this were in any of UConn's most dominant years.

No. Just no. You don't just hand out a trophy that no one earned.

I would also dispute the "for nothing" part. The journey always, always has an immense value of its own. Surely we aren't so reductionist in our thinking that we can't appreciate the experience.
Well said Plebe!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
STOP the (March) MADNESS.

Find your fishing poles. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I would not be in favor of a "smaller" number of teams...top 16 or so. To me it's unfair to the lower seeded teams. Just like it's unfair for all Seniors the season came to an abrupt end, same would be valid for lower seeded teams that deserve to also play in tourney. In most cases, it's the lower seeded teams that only get a chance to make the tourney once in ages...unlike the "top 16" teams that chances are they've been there before. All or none.

Reaction Score
I thought the region with Oregon would have been the most challenging. Oregon seemed to be on a mission, sort of a team of destiny where all the pieces had come together. Now if it had been the regional with Md/L’ville, it would have been a cake walk to the FF.

Louisville 72 Oregon 62 (Neutral Site)
Oregon 74 UConn 56 (Storrs)

I'll agree that UConn played better toward the end of the season (may I say in a cake walk to an AAC championship?) and that Louisville played its best all-around game of the season against Oregon, but still....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom