Insight / Game Day With Meghan Culmo ... | The Boneyard

Insight / Game Day With Meghan Culmo ...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Nice story. Here's a teaser:

Culmo (formerly Meghan Pattyson) spent four seasons playing for Geno Auriemma at UConn, then one year on his coaching staff before migrating to radio in 1996 and to television in 1997. Since then, she has called UConn games each season, becoming the premier TV voice of the nation’s most successful women’s hoops program.

Today, Culmo works for SNY, serving as color commentator alongside play-by-play man Allen Bestwick on the network’s annual package of Huskies games. On air, she projects wisdom and authority about a program she knows as well as anyone. Off air, her broadcast partner calls her the mayor of UConn women’s basketball, the type who seems to share a smile or an inside joke with everyone in the arena: fans, players, coaches, security staff, media, even referees.

“The fact that I’ve been on TV for 23 years is truly laughable to me,” Culmo said. “I don’t know how this is happening. Not to sound corny, but I just feel really lucky, because it doesn’t seem like a job."

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I did this in 2006. Some people didn't get it at the time.

mp3_mod2.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My favorite line: “Meg is the mayor of UConnville,” Bestwick said. “We just walked to the back, to the press room and back and by the Champion’s Club, and it’s like the queen walking by.”

Reaction Score
This part is why I love SNY broadcasts vs. ESPN (emphasis mine):

"Many broadcasters, at this point in the game, would begin to share off-beat stories or banter about what they’ll have for dinner. SNY is different. Culmo praises Anna Makurat for a strong back-cut. She notes Evelyn Adebayo’s aggressiveness in setting screens. She compliments Aubrey Griffin for forcing a tie-up without committing a foul.

“We try to make it about the game,” Culmo said. “Forty-point blowout, we’re still going to talk about the game. We’re not going to get off into sidebar stories. Because ultimately, I think it’s disrespectful to the players. My perspective is, Molly Bent gets in at the end of her game, her family wants to hear her name being said.”

Giving the kids that come off the bench some appreciation!! Awesome!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom