Inside UConn Women's Basketball Europe Trip | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Inside UConn Women's Basketball Europe Trip

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
View attachment 90053

Graphic above from today's BBC news feed. I am sure that the powers that be are following the continuing fire/heatwave situation in Europe. I wonder how serious considerations may be about canceling the upcoming tour? Currently the fires appear to be south of the planned areas to visit (?) butI wonder if the extreme heat and air quality are at issue?
The air quality certainly might be a concern, but it all depends on currents. They'll be closer to Sicily and Corfu (where fires are burning now) than New York City was to the fires that gave it so much trouble.

Reaction Score
The area - foot/ankle -will be immobilized but she won't be bedridden for more than 2-3 days.
She won’t be bedridden at all. They get you up and moving right away. Better for the rest of the body.

That being said, she’s not going to want to crutch all over the place as she’ll be dealing with anesthesia (which can take a long time to get out of the system) and pain. Maybe they’ll get her a wheelchair for Europe.

Reaction Score
If the Doctors say she can go I would be surprised if she did not. Being a part of such a bonding experience and being around multiple teammates who have just gone through what she is facing seems like it would preferable to staying home alone. I realize she wouldn’t be alone, of course but she would be away from the comforting presence of her team. I of course, have no idea if she would be allowed to go but I do know that modern recovery is a far cry from the past where you stayed in bed and/or were expected to immobilize the affected limb for a period of time! Nowadays they get mobile and active as soon as possible.

Reaction Score
This will be a test for the Uconn players as the European players play a much more physical game than we are used to , outside a few American teams. This will be Uconn's baptism of fire for their future games. I know they will make Uconn fans proud of their team. The Newbies should get a decent amount of minutes for Geno to be able to see what he has in them. A big learning experience for them.Also, the players and coaches will be having the time of their lives which ever country they will be in. A once in a lifetime event. They will do Uconn proud, GO HUSKIES!!!
The article linked in the OP mentions the opposition, which will just be local players available in Zagreb/Ljubljana/Bologna/Venice and not any established teams. Sometimes there are good players in those sorts of teams, but it is kind of a mixed bag, especially with most good players in Italy already gearing up for their club seasons by that time, and they generally do not practice, but with so many schools rolling through the exact same places, a lot of the players will probably suit up for multiple exhibitions so I guess they would have continuity from that.

Reaction Score
This will be a test for the Uconn players as the European players play a much more physical game than we are used to , outside a few American teams. This will be Uconn's baptism of fire for their future games. I know they will make Uconn fans proud of their team. The Newbies should get a decent amount of minutes for Geno to be able to see what he has in them. A big learning experience for them.Also, the players and coaches will be having the time of their lives which ever country they will be in. A once in a lifetime event. They will do Uconn proud, GO HUSKIES!!!
“Much more physical “, just what Huskies fans want to hear!!! Might want to keep Caroline on the bench!! Heaven help the BY if there is an injury!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In terms of the trip, we know:

Jana can’t play.

Ayanna can’t play.

Amari can play.

Paige may play—TBD.
About a week ago Paige talked on the subject and based on that my guess is she won't play. She played poker with it and then reminded folks the season doesn't start until November. Not playing is the good call IMO. I'd say IMHO, but I'm not H.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Keeping in mind, the purpose of "exhibition" games is to basically showcase two teams. Winning or losing is not important. The final results don't count in that year's overall won-loss record. As a poster noted above, the most important concern for all teams is that no one gets injured. That being said, I expect Geno to play all the freshmen extended minutes in all four games. He already knows what he's going to get from the returnees. Let's see what the freshmen can bring.

Reaction Score
Since Geno and his staff obviously know how to recruit international players, it will be interesting if we find out if Geno will take his full complement of coaches to Europe and how he will use them over the course of the 10-day trip and beyond. I believe that, if Tonya and Ben make the trip, they must stay with the team and not make any recruiting trips. Wonder if the other 4 coaches will miss any exhibition games as they traverse the Continent and if Geno's recruiting strategy has recently changed?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Since Geno and his staff obviously know how to recruit international players, it will be interesting if we find out if Geno will take his full complement of coaches to Europe and how he will use them over the course of the 10-day trip and beyond. I believe that, if Tonya and Ben make the trip, they must stay with the team and not make any recruiting trips. Wonder if the other 4 coaches will miss any exhibition games as they traverse the Continent and if Geno's recruiting strategy has recently changed?
Due to NCAA rules, only the four coaches can go and recruit. Tonya and the other coach might be able to go, but they can't recruit off campus.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Is it possible to go from Croatia to Italy by way of Lithuania? :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno said he had BIG plans for Jana this season. He like what he saw, and was pleased with the growth she made during the six months she was on campus and worked out/practiced with the team. Now those plans have to be put on the shelf until nest year. :(

Reaction Score
Due to NCAA rules, only the four coaches can go and recruit. Tonya and the other coach might be able to go, but they can't recruit off campus.
As I said "I believe that, if Tonya and Ben make the trip, they must stay with the team and not make any recruiting trips. ", I know they can't recruit off campus. Can they make phone calls to potential recruits, to coaches, and to others who might provide valuable info on recruits while in Europe? Can they view video on potential recruits? It would be interesting to see what the actual recruiting rules/restrictions are for these 2 coaches, whether it be while they're in Europe or stateside.

Reaction Score
About a week ago Paige talked on the subject and based on that my guess is she won't play. She played poker with it and then reminded folks the season doesn't start until November. Not playing is the good call IMO. I'd say IMHO, but I'm not H.
I agree with this. If the trip was a year and a couple months post surgery, id actually think she should play despite being an exhibition, just for the experience with her teammates. But as of early July I don't think she was cleared for 5 on 5 quite yet. I guess if she played well in a game setting that would give her confidence, but I think the shaking out the rust thing will be done a bit in preseason.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
As I said "I believe that, if Tonya and Ben make the trip, they must stay with the team and not make any recruiting trips. ", I know they can't recruit off campus. Can they make phone calls to potential recruits, to coaches, and to others who might provide valuable info on recruits while in Europe? Can they view video on potential recruits? It would be interesting to see what the actual recruiting rules/restrictions are for these 2 coaches, whether it be while they're in Europe or stateside.
I believe that they can only talk to the recruits on campus, that they are not allowed to contact recruits off campus to include telephone and email.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom