Inside UConn Women's Basketball Europe Trip | The Boneyard

Inside UConn Women's Basketball Europe Trip

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One more note about the upcoming European trip...........

A reminder to all that Zagreb Croatia is the capital and largest city of Croatia. It's also Nika Mühl's hometown. Needless to say, Nika and her UConn teammates (and coaches) will receive a "hero's" welcome and be received like royalty. I'm guessing that this visit will officially serve as Nika's "senior" homecoming.

1689985261241.png

No doubt, she and her teammates are looking forward to it. It should be an event none of them will ever forget. :cool: Nika and her teammates will be playing for and in front of her family and friends. Woe to the team they play in that exhibition game. That game should be over before halftime.

Reaction Score
This will be a test for the Uconn players as the European players play a much more physical game than we are used to , outside a few American teams. This will be Uconn's baptism of fire for their future games. I know they will make Uconn fans proud of their team. The Newbies should get a decent amount of minutes for Geno to be able to see what he has in them. A big learning experience for them.Also, the players and coaches will be having the time of their lives which ever country they will be in. A once in a lifetime event. They will do Uconn proud, GO HUSKIES!!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
"Per Neal Eskin, UConn’s Executive Associate Director of Athletics, the games will not be broadcast or live-streamed, UConn and SNY will be providing content throughout the trip on the Huskies’ social media platforms." Beggars can't be choosers, but I sure hope that "content" includes the full 40 minutes of all 4 games and not just game highlights. :rolleyes:

"Team bonding is the biggest priority in trips like this, as newcomers learn what road trips look like and get closer to their teammates."
Gee, I can't think of a quicker/surefire way to bond with your teammates than a 10-day European road trip.

Reaction Score
This will be a test for the Uconn players as the European players play a much more physical game than we are used to , outside a few American teams. This will be Uconn's baptism of fire for their future games. I know they will make Uconn fans proud of their team. The Newbies should get a decent amount of minutes for Geno to be able to see what he has in them. A big learning experience for them.Also, the players and coaches will be having the time of their lives which ever country they will be in. A once in a lifetime event. They will do Uconn proud, GO HUSKIES!!!
Actually, once every four years. Hopefully it will not be the only time the American players go to Europe.

Reaction Score
One more note about the upcoming European trip...........

A reminder to all that Zagreb Croatia is the capital and largest city of Croatia. It's also Nika Mühl's hometown. Needless to say, Nika and her UConn teammates (and coaches) will receive a "hero's" welcome and be received like royalty. I'm guessing that this visit will officially serve as Nika's "senior" homecoming.

View attachment 89917

No doubt, she and her teammates are looking forward to it. It should be an event none of them will ever forget. :cool: Nika and her teammates will be playing for and in front of her family and friends. Woe to the team they play in that exhibition game. That game should be over before halftime.
I might have to pay a visit to Zagreb, Croatia! Wow. That is a gorgeous view. Of course, I am one of those tourists who likes to go off the grid and hangout with the real folks. The locals. But the team should have fun and a great experience.

sun

Reaction Score
Playing games on a FIBA court may limit some of the benefits of playing the exhibition games.
I wonder how many of the UConn practices will be dedicated to getting used to the FIBA court & whether that may negate some of the benefits of the extra practices that the European trip presents.

Reaction Score
Playing games on a FIBA court may limit some of the benefits of playing the exhibition games.
I wonder how many of the UConn practices will be dedicated to getting used to the FIBA court & whether that may negate some of the benefits of the extra practices that the European trip presents.

The point of the trip is bonding through a shared experience so I don’t think the FIBA court/rules makes a big difference. Most of the team has played on FIBA courts before.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I might have to pay a visit to Zagreb, Croatia! Wow. That is a gorgeous view. Of course, I am one of those tourists who likes to go off the grid and hangout with the real folks. The locals. But the team should have fun and a great experience.
Absolutely!!! It appears that the team's itinerary has already been set. This is a "dream of a lifetime" trip for our girls. Forget the games, they will see and experience things they've never seen before, or ever again, and visit historical places most of the free world will never see.

The highlight of the trip has to be the first stop on the tour, Nika's hometown of Zagreb. You know, Nika is stoked to show off her "digs" to her teammates and coaches. I would love to be part of the supporters/boosters that will accompany the team on this trip.

Reaction Score
_130516176__130513165_fire_danger_forecast_260723_640-nc-2x-nc.png

Graphic above from today's BBC news feed. I am sure that the powers that be are following the continuing fire/heatwave situation in Europe. I wonder how serious considerations may be about canceling the upcoming tour? Currently the fires appear to be south of the planned areas to visit (?) butI wonder if the extreme heat and air quality are at issue?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Do we have any hard info on whether or not Jana will be able to join her teammates? Is there any other player whose participation is questionable?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Janas surgery is this week, so I think it would be unreasonable for her to go on the trip. She should be bedridden at least for a couple of weeks I would think. As far as the others, maybe Geno will be extra cautious based on what happened to Jana. That means Paige, Ice, Ayanna, and Amari, coming off surgeries of their own, may only face minimal gametime if at all. Plus, the heat is unbearable right now in Europe, so I expect every other player to have limited time on the court. Of course, that would mean the players coming off injury will have to play some. Alot to think about by Geno at gametime.

Reaction Score
Missing from the article, with less than three weeks remaining - dates and times of games; location of games; opponents for games...

Seems like a missed opportunity to loop alumni or supporters in. Where's the "Follow Your Huskies Cruise"?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Janas surgery is this week, so I think it would be unreasonable for her to go on the trip. She should be bedridden at least for a couple of weeks I would think. As far as the others, maybe Geno will be extra cautious based on what happened to Jana. That means Paige, Ice, Ayanna, and Amari, coming off surgeries of their own, may only face minimal gametime if at all. Plus, the heat is unbearable right now in Europe, so I expect every other player to have limited time on the court. Of course, that would mean the players coming off injury will have to play some. Alot to think about by Geno at gametime.
The area - foot/ankle -will be immobilized but she won't be bedridden for more than 2-3 days.

Reaction Score
Absolutely!!! It appears that the team's itinerary has already been set. This is a "dream of a lifetime" trip for our girls. Forget the games, they will see and experience things they've never seen before, or ever again, and visit historical places most of the free world will never see.

The highlight of the trip has to be the first stop on the tour, Nika's hometown of Zagreb. You know, Nika is stoked to show off her "digs" to her teammates and coaches. I would love to be part of the supporters/boosters that will accompany the team on this trip.
Just got home yesterday from a two week trip to Italy and Croatia (33rd anniversary trip w/wife) and I can confirm that our team is going to have an absolutely amazing time. It was our second trip to to those incredible countries and I have to say Croatia is our new favorite. It's like going to Italy 50 years ago-same beauty but 1/4 of the tourists. I can't think of a better place for our Uconn women to visit. They will be making lifetime memories:)

Reaction Score
Wish I'd gotten a chance to do that when I played college sports! ;)
Got to do that in college. We drove our own cars down to North Carolina and played the Camp Lejeune marines baseball team. Not great sightseeing, but we ate with the marines,and the food was outstanding. Of course,many of them were heading off to Vietnam. I think about that often.

Reaction Score
"Per Neal Eskin, UConn’s Executive Associate Director of Athletics, the games will not be broadcast or live-streamed, UConn and SNY will be providing content throughout the trip on the Huskies’ social media platforms." Beggars can't be choosers, but I sure hope that "content" includes the full 40 minutes of all 4 games and not just game highlights. :rolleyes:

"Team bonding is the biggest priority in trips like this, as newcomers learn what road trips look like and get closer to their teammates."
Gee, I can't think of a quicker/surefire way to bond with your teammates than a 10-day European road trip.
The biggest priority should be to come home without any serious injuries............frankly, I'd prefer if they simply went sightseeing..........;)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Got to do that in college. We drove our own cars down to North Carolina and played the Camp Lejeune marines baseball team. Not great sightseeing, but we ate with the marines,and the food was outstanding. Of course,many of them were heading off to Vietnam. I think about that often.
Did you drink the water?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom