Inside the grind of a day recruiting at the Peach Jam alongside a mid-major coach | The Boneyard

Inside the grind of a day recruiting at the Peach Jam alongside a mid-major coach

Reaction Score
Interesting article for people who follow recruiting. The writer shadowed a head coach from a mid-major on the recruiting trail. Not really a look into the way UConn recruits, but I thought it was interesting and figured I'd post it.

Anyway, our coach points out that one target is the son of a former fairly good college player.

"I guess [he] played like trash yesterday," our coach says, relying on the word of his assistant, who was here then but isn't here now. "He's one of those guys, if he plays well I won't be able to get him, and if he doesn't play well, I won't want him."

The plight of a mid-major.

Reaction Score
Interesting article for people who follow recruiting. The writer shadowed a head coach from a mid-major on the recruiting trail. Not really a look into the way UConn recruits, but I thought it was interesting and figured I'd post it.

Anyway, our coach points out that one target is the son of a former fairly good college player.

"I guess [he] played like trash yesterday," our coach says, relying on the word of his assistant, who was here then but isn't here now. "He's one of those guys, if he plays well I won't be able to get him, and if he doesn't play well, I won't want him."

Great read. From what I've heard recruiting is an absolute grind for 99% of coaches. Calls and texts constantly, tome away from family, etc. Takes a special kind of person to want to do that. Any level of basketball the actual coaching of basketball skills is the easy part.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
THANKS HS
Great read - insightful - wondering which scrap is worse - fighting for the top or the decent scraps

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Must reading. I feel much better about my job. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom