Injury update from Geno | The Boneyard

Injury update from Geno

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
DA7B1D0A-071E-4F98-B321-41640D408A13.jpeg

Reaction Score
Really a good sign and encouraging that Jana is practicing. Pretty sure she's still less than 11 months from her injury

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Roughly 10 months from injury--early August.
Correction. The surgery was scheduled for late in the week of July 25. I can't find the actual surgery date. She was able to travel to Europe with the team, as I recall.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I liked that that was Stan the fact that it said that of our six players we are coming off of the injured list only one is actually ready to practice at this point.
Remember, only five coming off of injury, Amari transferred.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed that the larger group is in the 'still working on it' column and more than a little worried that 2 of them are going to never get out of that category. I wish them all the best. Rehab is so hard and it is so tempting to screw up with it, but I'm sure they have excellent support.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Azzi and Aubrey both had ACL injuries and surgeries during last season, so them not being close to practicing right now is to be expected. Isn't it?
As far as Caroline, I am guessing that this off season and into the start of 2024-2025, her status will remain day to day. But I certainly hope that come our 1st game that she is in uniform and on the bench, one or two seats away from CD.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just really really hope Caroline is able to get fully healthy. What she's gone through is just so scary and dispiriting and affects so many aspects of life.
And there really isn't a 'rehab routine' for concussions - it is a matter of not doing a lot of normal things rather than actively working on strength, flexibily, etc. in the training room.

Reaction Score
And there really isn't a 'rehab routine' for concussions - it is a matter of not doing a lot of normal things rather than actively working on strength, flexibily, etc. in the training room.
Interesting. That was my question, what does rehab look like for her. Does she get to work on her mobility, strength. Is she allowed to do on the court stuff. Like I wonder what her off season entails. Even if it's just rest until October, it wouldn't worry me too much. But February - October is a good 8 months. So I'd hope she'd be ready to rock and roll for the first official practice. Last summer she hit a couple snags.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I'm disappointed that the larger group is in the 'still working on it' column and more than a little worried that 2 of them are going to never get out of that category. I wish them all the best. Rehab is so hard and it is so tempting to screw up with it, but I'm sure they have excellent support.
Which 2?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Azzi had her surgery in November I beleive. Aubrey had her surgery in January. I beleive gthe UConn medical staff will be conservative in clearing both. For both it is their second surgery on the same knee.

Don't expect Azzi to be cleared until early November. Aubrey not cleared until January.

Caroline I worry about. What happens if she gets another hit in the head? Is it worth the risk?

Reaction Score
Azzi and Aubrey both had ACL injuries and surgeries during last season, so them not being close to practicing right now is to be expected. Isn't it?
As far as Caroline, I am guessing that this off season and into the start of 2024-2025, her status will remain day to day. But I certainly hope that come our 1st game that she is in uniform and on the bench, one or two seats away from CD.
I believe that the typical duration for an ACL rehab would be approximately one year. Azzi had surgery Mid-November and Aubrey had surgery Mid-January.

After that 12-months or so, I think that the training staff would typically say that players would be available for full practice and potential game play; however, at that point it also becomes a mental thing as well. Exactly how far is any individual player willing to go on that leg that they have been killing themselves working on fervently for the past 12-months? What exactly is the 'apprehensive' level? What is the feeling that they may re-injure it? How physically fit does the player feel, etc.? What is this duration of this apprehensiveness before they are really willing to turn it all lose?

It is tough to deal with all of that, and also play against the best teams in all of college basketball (or at least to play well against those players). I recall, a few years back, just a few weeks before the tournament, and Paige coming off the broken leg bone in the knee. She was initially very tentative, and rightfully so! I recall at some point, Game 1 back maybe Game 2 her falling down hard and landing directly onto that right knee. The fear on her face scared the crap out of everyone; 'oh, my, did it just happen again?' It turned out, no, she was fine, but you could just feel her anxiety by watching it on the television set.... It is traumatic for these kids, it really is.

Reaction Score
I believe that the typical duration for an ACL rehab would be approximately one year. Azzi had surgery Mid-November and Aubrey had surgery Mid-January.

After that 12-months or so, I think that the training staff would typically say that players would be available for full practice and potential game play; however, at that point it also becomes a mental thing as well. Exactly how far is any individual player willing to go on that leg that they have been killing themselves working on fervently for the past 12-months? What exactly is the 'apprehensive' level? What is the feeling that they may re-injure it? How physically fit does the player feel, etc.? What is this duration of this apprehensiveness before they are really willing to turn it all lose?

It is tough to deal with all of that, and also play against the best teams in all of college basketball (or at least to play well against those players). I recall, a few years back, just a few weeks before the tournament, and Paige coming off the broken leg bone in the knee. She was initially very tentative, and rightfully so! I recall at some point, Game 1 back maybe Game 2 her falling down hard and landing directly onto that right knee. The fear on her face scared the crap out of everyone; 'oh, my, did it just happen again?' It turned out, no, she was fine, but you could just feel her anxiety by watching it on the television set.... It is traumatic for these kids, it really is.
Typical ACL recovery is 9 months, 12 months is on the extreme end already.

I’d imagine Azzi will be cleared more likely in September/October and Aubrey in October/November.

Reaction Score
So we might be without Azzi/Aubrey/Caroline/Ayanna for the first few weeks of the season. That gives the freshmen more time to develop and earn their PT.

In a way, the injuries not being cleared yet might be a good thing for developing the freshmen? It sure worked for Ash and KK.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It's good to hear Ayanna is "close." In my view, she is a real key to the season. Her rebounding and physical play is needed. On the other hand, we've heard that word before in her case. Here's hoping it happens this time.

P.S. I recognize that you could cite nine or ten players as keys to the season. But if I had to pick one, it's AP.

Reaction Score
Actually it was just a miscount on my part.

Updating from The Princess Bride:

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is, 'never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well-known is this: 'Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!'"

The even lesser well-known classic blunder is counting Husky injuries.

Reaction Score
Tell you one: Caroline
One would think that Caroline would be practicing now to 'test the waters'. If she can handle the occasional bump or fall in the summer sessions, regain her confidence and game face, she would be a valuable asset off the bench. Rather than more rest it would seem to me that she would want to see early where she is both physically and mentally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom